Why does on demand get programmes like The Following SD before HD

Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
Forum Member
They scream and shout about on demand and its benifits
and how HD is the best picture quality
and about believe in better

But do Sky really believe it

Constantly the programmes I want to see are only there in SD & its not just live shows.
Be it a BBC show or Sky both broadcasters are very slow in adding the HD version of the same show.
It always seems to be the Following on Sky Atlantic at the moment.
I wait for it and still not here.

Sky, other broadcasters and movie studios hate piracy but their actions are pushing people toward the net for HD quality downloads.

Comments

• R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't quote me on this but it could be because the HD versions take longer to upload.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R410 wrote: »
    Don't quote me on this but it could be because the HD versions take longer to upload.

nah time has nothing to do with it.

it's all about rights and what the rights holders want to release.
    there is still a mentality of wanting to cash in on DVD and blu-ray sales... so some hold back HD rights on the off chance they make some more money on blu-ray sales, then once that has been milked they release to on-demand to milk it some more.

it's a money making business, not an entertainment business.
  • Tom123Tom123 Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think it's a rights issue since the HD versions of an episode usually turn up at some point albeit a day or two later
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom123 wrote: »
    Don't think it's a rights issue since the HD versions of an episode usually turn up at some point albeit a day or two later

i'm talking in general, but about any specific program.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    i'm talking in general, but about any specific program.

I don't see how holding back an HD version for a few hours or a day or so will affect blu-ray sales.

My Wednesday evening viewing is generally, Friday Night Lights, Elementary and The Following all downloaded during the day (about six hours on my 2.6mb BB!!).

Tonight it's just going to be Elementary. Not a problem, though as my planner is full of stuff to watch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    I don't see how holding back an HD version for a few hours or a day or so will affect blu-ray sales.

My Wednesday evening viewing is generally, Friday Night Lights, Elementary and The Following all downloaded during the day (about six hours on my 2.6mb BB!!).

Tonight it's just going to be Elementary. Not a problem, though as my planner is full of stuff to watch.

as i said, i meant in general, not about these specifics.

it may be there are rules in place regarding how quickly something is allowed to appear, it may not though.
    unless we know the intricacies of the deals in place it's all just guess work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as i said, i meant in general, not about these specifics.

it may be there are rules in place regarding how quickly something is allowed to appear, it may not though.

It's very erratic. Some weeks the HD versions are available minutes after the linear broadcast and other weeks two days later.

• PhiljwadePhiljwade Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Recently used BBC iPlayer to download Shetland as the live broadcast clashed with other stuff. Went to Channel (BBC1)> Yesterday > scrolled through and the SD and HD versions were next to each other. This was straight forward, though a previous dip into Sky on-demand was far more convoluted in attempting to find the programme I wanted to download in HD.
  • The PhazerThe Phazer Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    It's nothing to do with rights issues.

The video has to be reencoded. Encoding HD takes a lot longer than SD. It's really that simple.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Philjwade wrote: »
    Recently used BBC iPlayer to download Shetland as the live broadcast clashed with other stuff. Went to Channel (BBC1)> Yesterday > scrolled through and the SD and HD versions were next to each other. This was straight forward, though a previous dip into Sky on-demand was far more convoluted in attempting to find the programme I wanted to download in HD.

If you use the 'by day' tab, the iPlayer and Sky are the same and put the SD/HD side by side.

All the other tabs are a waste of time for HD viewers!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Phazer wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with rights issues.

The video has to be reencoded. Encoding HD takes a lot longer than SD. It's really that simple.

Doesn't explain why some shows appear almost immediately some weeks but not others.

Even HBO's Girls shown the day after the US normally has the HD version on the same day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    it's erratic as ****

always has been and by the looks of it always will be

could be as simple as someone forgetting to press the right button!
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least the BBC, Sky and Channel 5 offer HD - unlike Channel 4 who apparently have decided not to bother at all!
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,779
    Forum Member
    nah time has nothing to do with it.

it's all about rights and what the rights holders want to release.
    there is still a mentality of wanting to cash in on DVD and blu-ray sales... so some hold back HD rights on the off chance they make some more money on blu-ray sales, then once that has been milked they release to on-demand to milk it some more.

it's a money making business, not an entertainment business.

What a load of rubbish, some weeks the HD version is there at the same time as the SD version, other weeks it isnt.

But dont let facts get in the way of a good story ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marti S wrote: »
    What a load of rubbish, some weeks the HD version is there at the same time as the SD version, other weeks it isnt.

But dont let facts get in the way of a good story ;)

as i've said twice now, i was talking generally and not about specific items.
    of course if you're talking about fact then i don't see you posting any hard facts.

i also said

buy hey, if you want pick a fight then you picked on the wrong person :)
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,779
    Forum Member
    of course if you're talking about fact then i don't see you posting any hard facts.

i also said

But you werent, they either have the rights to show HD on demand or they dont.

Why do you want to fight? Is that easier than admitting you were wrong
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i also said

I don't think anyone wants a fight it is just that the op was talking about the specific programme so therefore other posters were trying to draw it back on topic IMHO of course :-)

I agree it would be nice to be consitant but if you want it striaght away you could always watch it as it is broadcast :)

PJ
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marti S wrote: »
    But you werent, they either have the rights to show HD on demand or they dont.

yes i was, but of course you know don't you.
    it's not always as cut and dry regarding having rights or not.
    rights can be had but with a stipulation that it can only be used for x amount of days, or has to be delayed for x amount of days, or can be unlimited.

not saying that it the case here, but it's not a simple as saying they either have them or they dont.

the same thing happens on the itunes movie store. HD movies sometimes appear then disappear, some never appear, some take ages to appear.

now, in the case of sky on demand, sky manage the playout services, but the channels manage and supply the content.
    without knowing why and where a delay occurs it is impossible to supply a cast iron reason. one can only guess and make conjecture.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Bit disappointing to find that the new episode of Arrow from Monday night still hasn't made it to On Demand yet. I tend to subscribe to the "I think they forgot about it" theory.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Allmighty wrote: »
    Bit disappointing to find that the new episode of Arrow from Monday night still hasn't made it to On Demand yet. I tend to subscribe to the "I think they forgot about it" theory.

yes it is.
    not in HD though.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder why Sky bother with SD these days in some ways and dont tell me there is still many people who dont have HD I know that much Sky could have done more to make that less of an issue and they still can if they promote the HD boxes as upgrades more. I do think that PSB on demand content available in HD shouldnt have an SD version as well as this would make the on demand content cleaner.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I wonder why Sky bother with SD these days in some ways and dont tell me there is still many people who dont have HD I know that much Sky could have done more to make that less of an issue and they still can if they promote the HD boxes as upgrades more. I do think that PSB on demand content available in HD shouldnt have an SD version as well as this would make the on demand content cleaner.

Not everyone has unlimited bandwidth, so they may prefer SD downloads so as not to get traffic managed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Allmighty wrote: »

Last week's The Following in HD didn't arrive until the weekend. This week i'm waiting for Friday Night Lights (normally up very quickly) and Arrow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arrow in HD has just arrived!!!
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not everyone has unlimited bandwidth, so they may prefer SD downloads so as not to get traffic managed.

ok fair enough its just a shame that sky dont give the option to hide the sd content so you can search the HD content only and then turn it back on when you cant find what you want in HD.