First Same Sex Couple On Strictly

anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
It is being reported that Marcus Collins will be competing with his partner Robin Windsor on this years Strictly.

Comments

• basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    How will the Daily Mail react. This move could damage the show I am very sad to say as many elderly people may switch off.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    basdfg wrote: »
    How will the Daily Mail react. This move could damage the show I am very sad to say as many elderly people may switch off.

Why? Most elderly people have gay neighbours.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

And love Paul O'Grady. :D
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    I know but two men dancing together will have a different effect sadly. This is a good move personally but very risky and will generate a huge media response where not all of it will be positive.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Where are you hearing this?

If they are going to go same sex I'd rather it be with someone a little more high profile than "the one from that thing" several years ago.

Didn't Ben Cohen want to dance with a man last year? It might happen now Uncle Bruce is out to pasture.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Where are you hearing this?

If they are going to go same sex I'd rather it be with someone a little more high profile than "the one from that thing" several years ago.

Didn't Ben Cohen want to dance with a man last year? It might happen now Uncle Bruce is out to pasture.

It was on DS. Marcus Collins is Robins boyfriend.
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    It is being reported that Marcus Collins will be competing with his partner Robin Windsor on this years Strictly.

It isn't being 'reported'. It's being mentioned, in the Digital Spy article at least, as an off-the-cuff comment off the back of a magazine photo shoot.

If any version's going to pair a real life couple together on the show, it'll be DWTS long before Strictly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It isn't being 'reported'. It's being mentioned, in the Digital Spy article at least, as an off-the-cuff comment off the back of a magazine photo shoot.

If any version's going to pair a real life couple together on the show, it'll be DWTS long before Strictly.

They already have.
  • Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the above comment. Its too risky from BBC and I think hundreds would switch off in protest.

Many would scream to Ofcom "THINK OF THE CHILDREN"
  • ElsaElsa Posts: 3,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow that's exciting news! But weren't there already supposed to be eight female pros and seven male ones? Wouldn't that mean nine male celebrities and six female ones?

Although I suppose that's ok but seems a bit unfair -- but I guess with Brucie leaving and two female hosts, well, why not? And maybe there's a girl/girl couple as well ??
  • Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How to put strain on a relationship… :o
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    basdfg wrote: »
    I know but two men dancing together will have a different effect sadly. This is a good move personally but very risky and will generate a huge media response where not all of it will be positive.

I doubt it. With all the gay weddings, most people would have seen two men dance together.
    Forum Member
    They already have.

From a quick Google search, I can only find Chuck Wicks and Julianne Hough (who I can't say I was even aware was on the show, let alone was dating his partner). I heard rumours a season or two back that Maks would partner his on-and-off girlfriend Kate Upton, but that hasn't come to fruition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    From a quick Google search, I can only find Chuck Wicks and Julianne Hough (who I can't say I was even aware was on the show, let alone was dating his partner). I heard rumours a season or two back that Maks would partner his on-and-off girlfriend Kate Upton, but that hasn't come to fruition.

Chers daughter/ son.
    Forum Member
    Elsa wrote: »
    Wow that's exciting news! But weren't there already supposed to be eight female pros and seven male ones? Wouldn't that mean nine male celebrities and six female ones?

Except that it (most likely) isn't happening - it was just a fairly light-hearted comment as part of a magazine interview that they'd like to be partnered together. Don't get your hopes up (or get Ofcom on speed dial, depending on your view point!) just yet.

I can see Strictly doing a same-sex partnership in the next few years, just not one in which the two people are already in a relationship.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They already have.

If you mean the American DWTS, there hasn't been a same-sex couple except for one rehearsal "mango" with Jonathan Roberts and his then-wife's partner, when she was sick. Can't remember the partner's name, sorry.

Also, DWTS-US is one of the Far Right's three most popular television shows, along with College Basketball and Antiques Roadshow. And America is more conservative than the UK, just in general, surely?

ETA: Thanks, StigoftheKrump - the logistics sure seem to suggest it's the wrong season - otherwise there would be more male than female pros. Oh and no angry calls from me - I'd be delighted!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you mean the American DWTS, there hasn't been a same-sex couple except for one rehearsal "mango" with Jonathan Roberts and his then-wife's partner, when she was sick. Can't remember the partner's name, sorry.

Also, DWTS-US is one of the Far Right's three most popular television shows, along with College Basketball and Antiques Roadshow. And America is more conservative than the UK, just in general, surely?

Chers daughter/ son was on it.
    Forum Member

But Chaz was a man when he danced in 2011 (and still is) so that's not a same sex partnership? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except that it (most likely) isn't happening - it was just a fairly light-hearted comment as part of a magazine interview that they'd like to be partnered together. Don't get your hopes up (or get Ofcom on speed dial, depending on your view point!) just yet.

I can see Strictly doing a same-sex partnership in the next few years, just not one in which the two people are already in a relationship.

Agree, plus if BBC ever did do same sex couples they would do it female / female IMO as its more accepted than male / male sadly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ohhh it never even occurred to me to think of them as a same-sex couple since Chaz is transgendered. But enough said about that I guess...

Hasn't the Israeli version had an all-male couple? And maybe the Dutch version? I should really remember Google/Wikipedia is my friend... but just hoping someone remembered off hand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    But Chaz was a man when he danced in 2011 (and still is) so that's not a same sex partnership? :confused:

Well she was born a woman so technically it is. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ohhh it never even occurred to me to think of them as a same-sex couple since Chaz is transgendered. But enough said about that I guess...

Hasn't the Israeli version had an all-male couple? And maybe the Dutch version? I should really remember Google/Wikipedia is my friend... but just hoping someone remembered off hand.

It was female / female couple. If BBC ever did same sex couple I suspect they would do the same.
    Forum Member
    Well she was born a woman so technically it is. :p

Nah, it's not at all.

Biologically, physically and emotionally Chaz is a man. He self identifies as a man, the show saw him as a man and he lead the dances as a man.

Oh, and it's he. Transgendered people prefer to have the pronoun associated with their chosen gender attributed to them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nah, it's not at all.

Biologically, physically and emotionally Chaz is a man. He self identifies as a man, the show saw him as a man and he lead the dances as a man.

I know. I was only ribbing.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    Strictly already have covered it on ITT - Johnny Ball was dancing with Ian Waite after Aliona did her foot in.
    They had to rehearse the dance together until Iveta arrived to take over.