iPad to a TV via HMTI cable

I've just bought an adaptor for an iPad and a cable for HMTI. See http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro%C2%AE...8449964&sr=8-1

However, when I plug this into the iPad and connect to a Sharp LC-22LE22E, I get the message "No removable device detected".

I was hoping to access BBC iPlayer and the other apps which work fine on the iPad and in this way enable the catch-up apps to play through the TV.

Is this not possible?

W

Comments

• fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is possible, as long as you have the correct adaptor and cable. The link you have provided doesn't work for me, so it's hard to say what the problem might be right now.

Where we you seeing the error message? On the iPad screen or the TV screen?

I use an official Apple AV adaptor, and a standard HDMI cable.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-Digital-AV-Adapter-iPad/dp/B004QK5N5W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359051404&sr=8-2
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's not the genuine Apple adaptor. It's a cheap knock-off.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Roush wrote: »

Looks expensive to me. It is almost £18 pounds.

I can buy two pairs of trousers for that money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roush wrote: »

Quite possibly, although it does say "by Apple" in the description. I got mine from the Apple Store (and paid a lot more than that)

As the OP's link didn't work, I just wanted to show them a comparable product, so they could let us know if that's the kind of thing he ordered, rather than make a buying recommendation.

Apologies for any confusion.
  • WilliWilli Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies.
    The adaptor came from Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-Digital-AV-Adapter-iPad/dp/B004QK5N5W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359051404&sr=8-2
    It cost about £15 and it is marked CEFC - that's all.
    At one end there's an i-Pad plug and this fits into the i-Pad2 which I have; the other end of this short cable has the large holder with a single socket (female) for the HMTI cable which I bought along with the adaptor.
    The message is coming up on the screen of the Sharp TV and the menu option to get there is 'Media Browser'.
    As I say, the iPlayer works fine on the iPad, as do the various other catch-up apps. It's just that I'd like to play them through the Sharp TV.
    Thanks in advance.
    W
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is an HTMI cable? I have heard of HDMI which is what this adapter converts to.

Also why are you going into the Media Browser on the TV? That is not how it works. This adapter allows a TV to act as an external display device for the iPad. So you play stuff on the iPad and it is sent to the TV for display. Think of it as though the iPad was a DVD or Blu-Ray player or Sky box or whatever. You just select whatever HDMI input you have the iPad plugged into on the TV and start whatever it is you want to watch playing on the iPad and then hope it comes out on the telly. Which is never a given with the iPad!

The Media Browser on the TV is used to play files from USB drives or maybe across the network from other sources. It would be a pretty exceptional TV that could locate anything on an iPad :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Willi wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.
    The adaptor came from Amazon:
    It cost about £15 and it is marked CEFC - that's all.
    At one end there's an i-Pad plug and this fits into the i-Pad2 which I have; the other end of this short cable has the large holder with a single socket (female) for the HMTI cable which I bought along with the adaptor.
    The message is coming up on the screen of the Sharp TV and the menu option to get there is 'Media Browser'.
    As I say, the iPlayer works fine on the iPad, as do the various other catch-up apps. It's just that I'd like to play them through the Sharp TV.
    Thanks in advance.
    W

If i understand you correctly, Instead of selecting "media browser" you need to select the HDMI input.

There should be a button on your remote labelled "Input" or "Source" or maybe a picture of a square with an arrow going into it.
    Forum Member
    Yes, there's a button on the remote marked 'source' and this did the trick.
    VMT for your help!
    W
    Forum Member
    One thing which I did not mention: 4oD does not permit replay via a TV. I suppose this is some kind of copyright restriction and wonder if it's a permanent ban.
    W
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Willi wrote: »
    One thing which I did not mention: 4oD does not permit replay via a TV. I suppose this is some kind of copyright restriction and wonder if it's a permanent ban.
    W

Yeah, I did mention that on your other thread.

It's because they don't have rebroadcast rights for mobile devices.