Options

HIGNFY Series 44

Comments

• Options
    mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in the studio audience for the taping of the show last night (Oct 11). It went on for two hours solid, so there was a big editing job to do.
  • Options
    bandersist2008bandersist2008 Posts: 894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're crystal balls a bit buggered.:D:D

Couldn't agree more.... I was a bit shocked at some of the jokes - especially about Abu Hamza.... thought the JS stuff was appropriate though...and the Daily Mail comments... well.. nuff said....:D
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone think after the extended repeat we won't seeing this episode again, I can't see Dave running it.
    Yes, definitely. Record it while you can because that was far too "of the moment" to ever get repeated without far too much context and explaining.

I think the BBC were fortunate to have HIGNFY as the only way to say some of the things that came out was in the context of a comedy programme. Even though it was never going to be funny, the delivery was the sugar coating on the bitter pill.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I'm just watching it now on catch-up - much venting of spleens, but compelling nevertheless.
  • Options
    Richo2006Richo2006 Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So glad the BBC had the balls to broach the Jimmy Saville story on HIGNFY tonight - even better than they did their public service duty proud by tearing the Daily Mail a new one!

Awesome show, love that it is back!
  • Options
    enfant_terribleenfant_terrible Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    A wealth of material from the Tory party conference ... but no. As per HIGNFY these days, there's little in the way of disparaging comments about the current government and its 'machinations'.

The programme is well past its sell by date. They're all far to comfortable. The only way you see Hislop raise any steam is when Labour or Lib Dems are mentioned.

RIP. It was fun while it lasted.
  • Options
    lankyguy007lankyguy007 Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    A wealth of material from the Tory party conference ... but no. As per HIGNFY these days, there's little in the way of disparaging comments about the current government and its 'machinations'.

The programme is well past its sell by date. They're all far to comfortable. The only way you see Hislop raise any steam is when Labour or Lib Dems are mentioned.

Oh dear
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I must have watched a different programme. I thought it was excellent, especially the Jimmy savile and Daily Mail part, as Richo2006 said.
  • Options
    WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good in parts. JS story hurting the BBC and whilst attack on Mail just, still think if all knew of rumours as suggested then it should have been better investigated at BBC long ago. Internally until actual evidence uncovered.

HIGNFY at best sticking to light ridicule of politicians and guests, but wonder if extended show may be more along traditional output.
  • Options
    ImperialImperial Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Well they certainly upped the ante tonight and good on 'em. About time they said it like it is.
    Mail online will be apoplectic! :D
  • Options
    stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't enjoy it very much, to be honest. Not one of the best episodes, but having said that, still miles better than many things on TV nowadays.

As an aside: "a lot" and "a bit" have two words each.
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why isn't this on iPlayer yet?
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »

I have been waiting too. It just says 'coming soon'

How long do shows normally take to be uploaded after screening?
  • Options
    JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,662
    Forum Member
    Not exactly hilarious, as it hasn't been for a while.

But loved the fact they came out fighting towards the papers though. About time.
  • Options
    glorafinglorafin Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    I think it was more of a topical news show than a comedy show tonight, and that's perfectly alright if the news of the day require it. HIGNFY has always had those two sides in its DNA and tonight was no different. A great half hour of television.
  • Options
    kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike1948 wrote: »
    I was in the studio audience for the taping of the show last night (Oct 11). It went on for two hours solid, so there was a big editing job to do.

Was it two hours about JS?
  • Options
    gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    Joooe wrote: »
    Not exactly hilarious, as it hasn't been for a while.

But loved the fact they came out fighting towards the papers though. About time.

Yes, but it was pretty weak stuff. They should have been much more biting.
  • Options
    vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I can see it now the Daily Mail calling for the show to be axed, its the only avenue I can see them going down rather than defend its content of its online website. Tonight's show was half the traditional show, mock politicans, mock a former politican as a guest etc but the other half was about calling out the Daily Mail and other media outlets about their attacks and misusing information. It really is the only show that would be able to do this and do it in a manner that got one over on them, you can see why Mock the Week avoided it.... good thing Frankie Boyle isn't around for either of these shows.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vampirek wrote: »
    good thing Frankie Boyle isn't around for either of these shows.

He’s written a very funny piece on his own website.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »

It's on there now.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The section on Jimmy Saville was certainly the bit of the show that sticks in the memory. It was a difficult subject to tackle; they couldn't have treated it simply as humour, yet while giving their take on the subject, they did employ some very dark humour. If they were going to do it at all, and it would be a fairly glaring omission not to do it, that was probably the best way. I think it worked pretty well, though it wasn't quite "wind down for the weekend" material.

A lot of the rest was funny. Ken Livingstone, for all his faults, does seem genuinely able to laugh at himself, and the Father Ted guy was very good.
  • Options
    CrowleySrCrowleySr Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    They left aside the comedy element of the show, and attacked the press for not exposing Savile

Anything to deflect attention to the BBC's failings. Totally disgusting
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm if I wanted to watch a discussion on Jimmy Savile I'd have put Newsnight on!!!

(Oh wait a minute ...)
  • Options
    joel turcottejoel turcotte Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .... I was a bit shocked at some of the jokes - especially about Abu Hamza....

It struck me they originally intended the opening " joke " about Assange JFK Immigration to be Abu Hamza but chickened out.
  • Options
    vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CrowleySr wrote: »
    They left aside the comedy element of the show, and attacked the press for not exposing Savile

Anything to deflect attention to the BBC's failings. Totally disgusting

They weren't deflecting attention at all, if anything they have exposed the media especially the Daily Mail as hypocrits. Perhaps now rather than coming up with bogus stories and blaming people in charge of schools, the NHS etc for letting him in when everybody has been deemed to know about the rumours and nobody acted... including the press. That is what the point is, blame the BBC yes, but they should be blaming themselves too for not exposing it 30-40 years ago. The reason why nobody did, there was no evidence. The BBC couldn't have acted, the press could not have acted, it is only now the evidence is coming through.

Furthermore Ian Hislop slates the BBC by saying it'll be edited and shown on ITV in three weeks time. Thats not deflecting attention from a failing.

Not once do they defend the BBC for its actions, its simply turning the other foot and asking why the press did nothing either.... seeing they have a huge interest in celebs.