Cheers on ITV4 (Merged)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm excited because it was one of my favourite programmes back in the day and I've always wanted to see it again, but because I didn't know it had been on CBS this is my first chance to see how it stands the test of time.

Watching on ITV4+1 just now and it still looks good.

For anyone who wants the box set on DVD it's out now at Zavvi for £44.95 (it's on my Christmas list - just hope they buy it for me because I'm not recording this )

If you have the Sky HD pack watch this tomorrow on ITV4 HD the quality is superb
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought ep1 was much better than ep2 - but that's maybe because it was the trailer and they wanted to make a mark.
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only seen a couple episode but really enjoyed them when I have,I've actually just got a job behind the bar of my local Cheers themed bar :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    I started watching this last night as we don't get CBS Drama on Virgin. It seems pretty good.
  • pinkpowerrangerpinkpowerranger Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've started watching and I'm enjoying it, I never watched it when it originally aired but I have vague memories of my Mum and Dad watching it. I don't remember Coach at all I remember Woody and for some reason I thought it was him that sung the theme tune.
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    I've started watching and I'm enjoying it, I never watched it when it originally aired but I have vague memories of my Mum and Dad watching it. I don't remember Coach at all I remember Woody and for some reason I thought it was him that sung the theme tune.

Might be wrong but I think the Coach was only in the first series. Woody was brought in to replace him as the actor sadly died.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might be wrong but I think the Coach was only in the first series. Woody was brought in to replace him as the actor sadly died.

Coach was in the first two seasons and most of season three, as he disappeared from the show as the actors health declined. He was a brilliant character. He brought a lot of heart and warmth to the show.

I don't remember Cheers during it's original run. I got into it once I started watching Frasier. The old Paramount Comedy channel used to air Frasier and Cheers back to back. It was bliss :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My gratitude goes out to ITV4 for giving me the chance to see this in it's entirety (hopefully). Due to my age and lack of airtime I've not had the chance to see this sitcom before. I've seen Ted Danson before in 'Curb your Enthusiasm' and had been eager to see his other work for years.

It's conflicting with my 'Seinfeld' boxset marathon though! I'm sure I'll live however :-)

I may now be enticed once I'm finished with both to finally get round to watching 'Fraser'.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to watch this series but not from its start. I watched it years ago when it used to come on CH4 and when Kirstie Alley and Kelsey Grammar was in it. I watched the ones on ITV4 yesterday where it still has Coach and Diane... yeah they're OK, but rather the later ones. Good to see it still. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the spoiler ;) I looked at the trivia online so I half know what I'm expecting.
  • comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great to see it again, well done ITV 4
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched the 3rd episode and still liking it although I'm now behind by 5 episodes, keeping up with this might be a nightmare
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    My favourite US sitcom ever. I used to have every episode on video, but haven't seen it for years. It really holds up, and I prefer it to Frasier. The Sam & Diane years were brilliant, then it managed to be even better after she left.

Like Moonlighting it was a great 'battle of the sexes' show, featuring the type of old-school Alpha Male type that sitcoms can't help but write as figures of ridicule these days. In Cheers they were evenly matched, now we usually get super-capable, always right woman and dead-beat doofus dad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This must be the 3rd or 4th thread created on Cheers being shown by ITV4
  • dadioflexdadioflex Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My gratitude goes out to ITV4 for giving me the chance to see this in it's entirety (hopefully). Due to my age and lack of airtime I've not had the chance to see this sitcom before. I've seen Ted Danson before in 'Curb your Enthusiasm' and had been eager to see his other work for years.

It's conflicting with my 'Seinfeld' boxset marathon though! I'm sure I'll live however :-)

I may now be enticed once I'm finished with both to finally get round to watching 'Fraser'.

Check out Ted Danson in Becker some time. That was a quality show. He was also in the fairly quirky Bored to Death a couple of years ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still not enough publicity about Cheers on here if your asking me.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers is on CBS Drama and they have started to show it right from the start. You can also bet it won't be edited, unlike the ITV 4 version which I will put every penny I have on that it is an edited version according to ITV's strict 'guidelines'... :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Cheers is on CBS Drama and they have started to show it right from the start. You can also bet it won't be edited, unlike the ITV 4 version which I will put every penny I have on that it is an edited version according to ITV's strict 'guidelines'... :rolleyes:

Check Cheers on ITV4 HD the print is amazing, CBS Drama cant compete with that
  • littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I caught a couple of episodes today and really enjoyed it. I enjoyed it years ago but had forgotten how good it was.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best sitcom ever made.

Ted Danson and Shelley Long were absolute gems.

I watched some today and realised that the characters changed very little over the years and so the genius was in getting them just right at the start.

Great actors, great writers, great everything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just checked on digiguide and itv4 will indeed be showing season 2 starting from 14th November
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoying the show a lot. I haven't seen a lot of the earlier episodes but they are really good.
    The banter between Sam and Dianne is very well written.
    I wish it had subtitles though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully with them showing Cheers it means they might accquire some other classic sitcom after this finishes won't take em long to air 11 seasons if they show 10 eps every week. Although those sticking by CBS speed will be left behind as CBS wont have all the rights yet
  • comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best thing ITV 4 has aquired. It really suits the channel.

I love Cheers, haven't watched it for a while, I used to like it 5-6 years ago in the morning on C4 when they had Bewitched, Frasier and Cheers.
  • janedeeejanedeee Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Agreed, really enjoying watching this great show again. I watch it on ITV Player and they don't have any adverts through it either :)