What Elements of the Moffat Era will Chibnall Keep?

Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Wild speculation thread but Doctor Who fandom has been pretty desperate for some discussion points since the season ended so now there is some huge news it's time to speculate.

What elements from the Moffat era do we expect Chibnall to keep?

I think River will retire with Moffat. Hard to imagine anyone else writing her, or wanting to (not because she isn't a good character but she's just such a personal Moffat character I don't think any other writer would want to tread on his toes or feel he had anything to interject into her story) .

What about the Paternoster gang? I'm certain Moffat will use them in his closing season. Will they live on beyond that? There's still spin-off potential there. Could they be put aside for use by Moffat (and maybe Gattiss) in that context?

Missy: she's been such a successful character that it strikes me they will want to keep her around, but again, she's such a Moffat character, it's hard to imagine another writer really doing her justice. Regenerating her too quickly would be such a shame though. Of course, all writers want to make their own mark too.

The general Moffat millieu, his future vision etc: this has been quite distinctive under Moffat. The future church and politics, retro-medieval fashions. It's been done quietly and never discussed that much but there's quite a lot of world building gone on here. His vision of the future has been very consistently portrayed. Will Chibnall and co continue with this vision or will they leave that time period behind and start to build a new 'contemporary future world' for the Doctor to recur in.

UNIT: Chibnall was given the chance to introduce the new UNIT in 'Power of Three' so I have to think this is something he will maintain and possibly even had a hand in discussing the creation of with Moffat? Speculation.

Comments

• Whoswho1Whoswho1 Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter capaldi...
  • Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoswho1 wrote: »
    Peter capaldi...

Seconded.

Generally I'd like Chibnall to have an element of Moffat's more intricate plotting and an in-depth exploration of what makes the Doctor work.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,929
    Forum Member
    I expect the weeping angels will pop back at some point
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoswho1 wrote: »
    Peter capaldi...

I certainly hope so. Capaldi is the man to break the three season trend.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Peter Capaldi, because he's just utterly superb in the role! On top of that, it'll be a new slant for NuWho to take on a new showrunner under an ongoing Doctor. It also now seems more important for someone to break the three-series cycle of leads, as many younger viewers will otherwise presume that's always how it has to be. Capaldi is the man for the job, if he wants it of course.

Kate Stewart is a decent enough 'familiar face' and a good tie to UNIT. If Jemma Redgrave is still up for the role, and Ingrid Oliver would also be keen on coming back as Osgood then the two could logically appear again. And for once these are characters were ageing actors are less of a hurdle to the continuity.

If Moffat doesn't play his 'Doctor's Daughter' card, then maybe Chibnall will?

__

On the other hand I suspect River Song and the Paternoster gang are things to be consigned to Moffat's era... especially seeing as both already feel that way already. River's story is essentially done, whilst the Paternoster's haven't shown up nearly two whole series now.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If Moffat doesn't play his 'Doctor's Daughter' card, then maybe Chibnall will?

Purely a personal preference but God I hope not :p
  • Sam_Gee1Sam_Gee1 Posts: 1,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expect him to keep the Silurians and UNIT.

And i expect the tone to stay slightly dark as well, considering the stories he has written in the past.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    Purely a personal preference but God I hope not :p

I don't care much for the Series 4 episode in question, but if handled correctly I really wouldn't mind this. It'd give reason to an otherwise needlessly retconned death in the episode (basically dismantling the emotional core of the episode). Admittedly with only twelve episodes a series, I'd also much rather explore wholly new ideas rather than constant retreads.
  • Brandon_SmithBrandon_Smith Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope the new Headwriter if PC stays writes him a good series that everyone likes new headwriter means alot of new stories and ideas.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    If he doesn't keep Peter Capaldi, then the mans a fool.
  • Sam_Gee1Sam_Gee1 Posts: 1,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    If he doesn't keep Peter Capaldi, then the mans a fool.

I imagine it'll be Peter's choice if he wishes to stay or not.
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sam_Gee1 wrote: »
    I imagine it'll be Peter's choice if he wishes to stay or not.

Yes, I would think so. Apart from the case of Colin Baker, it's generally been down to the actor (although Tom Baker might have tested that if he'd decided to stay an 8th year...)

I really hope Capaldi decides to stay on for some of the 'Chibnall era', and I'm sure Chibnall will ask him to, similarly to Moffat asking David Tennant to stay for series 5.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's best for him and the show if there is as fresh a start as possible - such as Moffat got. So new Doctor, new companion, only taking a few elements for the last few series. It's far healthier for the show to have a proper new vision and a refresh than having things hanging over from the last guy.
  • Brandon_SmithBrandon_Smith Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    I think it's best for him and the show if there is as fresh a start as possible - such as Moffat got. So new Doctor, new companion, only taking a few elements for the last few series. It's far healthier for the show to have a proper new vision and a refresh than having things hanging over from the last guy.

Actually I agree with this Rtd and Moffat got their own Doctors which might be easier to write for maybe Chibnall should make his own elements and dump Moffat elements only giving them references like Moffat did with the RTD Era.
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Capaldi if he wants to stay and hopefully nothing else, this new era should be aiming to do what the 3rd Doctors era did and completely refresh/regenerate itself and feel and be very different from what came before it.... it needs to for the good of the show,
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Missy is around for years to come.
  • nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    Peter Capaldi. Otherwise for me that will be one of my all-time favourite Doctors (Smith) and one with the potential to be (Peter), who imo arguably has only just or still quite hasn't found his full take on the role, suffering from the poorer aspects of Moffat's run.
  • joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None. Start anew like a mini reboot just as in 2005 and 2010. New Doctor, new companion, new title sequence and theme.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    I think Chibnall will reboot the show free of any baggage. Perhaps in the second series he'll bring back Unit in some form, but I don't think we'll see any more Moffat regulars. I'd be less surprised if we saw him revisit some RTD characters.

I'd also love there to be not even a mention of the Daleks in 2018. I'm hoping series 11 will be more about people (ones you care about) and less about concepts and overblown story arcs with payoffs as enjoyable as a rice cake after a hard day's work.
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joe_000 wrote: »
    None. Start anew like a mini reboot just as in 2005 and 2010. New Doctor, new companion, new title sequence and theme.
    yep - fresh new start with a clean canvas :)
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    I wonder what the terms of the handover are between Moffat and Chibnall?

Is Chibnall going to inherit Peter Capaldi and the season 10 companion, or is he going to get a blank canvass in the same way Moffat was in 2010?

If Season 10 loses more viewers, the BBC might have to make a tough choice about Capaldi anyway. And Moffat could write a one-season companion in the same way RTD did with Donna for season 4.

I personally would have no problem with Chibnall connecting to other eras of Who - I'd love to see him reconnect with some of the RTD era characters who have been sadly lacking over the past six years.

I hope there will be a lot less timey-whimey stuff though. A full time companion and a likeable Doctor. That's my starter for 10.
    Forum Member
    darnall42 wrote: »
    yep - fresh new start with a clean canvas :)

Just a shame we're getting yet another gap year before... yet another Moffat series and then Chibnall takes over the following season. I'd much rather Moffat did a series this year, then left 2017 as a gap year leading to Chibnal's refreshed debut in 2018.
    Forum Member
    Just a shame we're getting yet another gap year before... yet another Moffat series and then Chibnall takes over the following season. I'd much rather Moffat did a series this year, then left 2017 as a gap year leading to Chibnal's refreshed debut in 2018.

Me too. Essentially, an 18 month hiatus and then . . . more of the same. Oh, its 1986 all over again!
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    Essentially, an 18 month hiatus and then . . . more of the same. Oh, its 1986 all over again!

You know, I'd never thought of that. In a way it's almost a perfect epitaph for Moffat, who's managed to become the modern-day JNT - Ironic given what he had to say about that era as a cocky young man.

I wonder if Ian Levine will produce a "Moffat in This Dress" single this time?
    Forum Member
    You know, I'd never thought of that. In a way it's almost a perfect epitaph for Moffat, who's managed to become the modern-day JNT - Ironic given what he had to say about that era as a cocky young man.

I wonder if Ian Levine will produce a "Moffat in This Dress" single this time?

Haha! Brilliant. You know its weird but I was stuck in traffic today and ended up talking to my husband about Moffat leaving/Chibnall taking over. He's only moderately interested in Doctor Who but did his best to pretend to care.

But I made that exact same comparison with JNT. Which is a worry if you remember what then happened to poor old Colin Baker!