Options

Spain issues threats over Gibraltar

Comments

• Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,863
    Forum Member
    dooglemire wrote: »
    It is quite simple really, firstly you have around 6500 people that live in spain that work in Gibraltar, so I imagine many thousands of them would be lost. This would also damage Gibraltar to be fair but the goverment in Gibraltar is very proactive and has the ability to get things done quickly if need be. Many people would end up on the spanish version of the dole.

Secondly as a whole Gib puts just under 1 Billion euros a year into the spansh economy.thats a big dent especially locally.

Can Gibraltar do without these spanish workers as well though? Spain will surely know what is in its interests so unless they are doing this for electioneering reasons then I doubt they would "get tough" if they can't handle the consequences.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RickyBarby wrote: »
    we should make the Spanish pay to enter u.k.or stop them full stop from coming in.

Or the 17 million British who go on holiday to Spain every year, and the 500,000 or whatever who live there permanently.

Plus all the Spanish footballers will leave the UK, and the premier league will sink a few levels technically.

Perhaps Spain should ban all Brits from entering, at least all the chavs who wreck the place will have to find somewhere else.
  • Options
    dooglemiredooglemire Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »
    Can Gibraltar do without these spanish workers though? Spain will surely know what is in its interests so unless they are doing this for electioneering reasons then I doubt they would "get tough" if they can't handle the consequences.

I think Gibraltar would struggle but not for long, they coped when the border was closed before. Gibraltar is only a short boat journey from morocco.

Ultimately I believe this is just the spanish flag waving, after all why would they hinder themselves further.

There is also many people in spain looking at Gib with a certain degree of envy as they to wish to not be part of spain.
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talk of a war is just silly, but I do think there is a strong case for a boycott. It's probably a bit late for people to alter summer holiday plans, although people will be booking now for October and Christmas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BMR wrote: »
    Talk of a war is just silly, but I do think there is a strong case for a boycott. It's probably a bit late for people to alter summer holiday plans, although people will be booking now for October and Christmas.

I'm sure the residents of Majorca and Ibiza will be most heartbroken.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    Or the 17 million British who go on holiday to Spain every year, and the 500,000 or whatever who live there permanently.

Plus all the Spanish players will leave the UK, and the premier league will sink a few levels.

Imagine the cost if these negative actions from spain stopped even just 5% of people going on holiday to spain how much that would cost there economy.

I feel that if the spanish government had a sense they would realize they would probably better off working with Gibraltar than against them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dooglemire wrote: »
    I think Gibraltar would struggle but not for long, they coped when the border was closed before. Gibraltar is only a short boat journey from morocco.

Ultimately I believe this is just the spanish flag waving, after all why would they hinder themselves further.

There is also many people in spain looking at Gib with a certain degree of envy as they to wish to not be part of spain.

I'd imagine Spanish workers might be better for Gibraltar as they might be better on the language front? What is the main language of Morroco, Arabic? French? If it is, I suspect what I wrote might be the case.

As for your second point, surely if enough people in the North part of Spain wanted to break away from Spain it would have happenned already by now? What do they think they will achieve by going independent in the North anyway? Bit more spending for themselves, that will make them overall better off?
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We could always send our warships to blockade Ceuta.....see how they like it!

10pm UK time is the news on Gib's TV station here; http://www.gbc.gi/television/tv-watch-live.php
  • Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    BMR wrote: »

I'm not changing my holiday plans - I'm still going to Spain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »
    I'd imagine Spanish workers might be better for Gibraltar as they might be better on the language front? What is the main language of Morrocoa, arabic? French? If it is, I suspect what I wrote might be the case.

As for your second point, surely if enough people in the North part of Spain wanted to break away from Spain it would have happenned already by now? What do they think they will achieve by going independent in the North anyway? Bit more spending for themselves, that will make them overall better off?

The language would be better but there is alot of expats living in la linea and working in Gib there is also already quite a few Moroccans living in Gib.

I am not fully up to speed on the issues of some areas of spain wanting to break away, but one of the spanish political partys recently recognised Gibraltars right to self determination.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not changing my holiday plans - I'm still going to Spain

TRAITOR. :mad::p
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Spain is in financial meltdown, the Prime Minister is facing allegations of corruption what to do, ah yes reignite a colonial spat that should divert attention from the country's current ills :rolleyes:

Yes, it's a cheap and unnecessary diversion from economic woes and I am disappointed by the actions of the Rajoy government. It won't help Spain or its recovery one bit.
  • Options
    Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    If we boycott Spain, where are we going to send our gangsters to retire?
  • Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    TRAITOR. :mad::p

I'd go to Argentina as well if i wanted to so there :p
  • Options
    Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    We could always send our warships to blockade Ceuta.....see how they like it!

10pm UK time is the news on Gib's TV station here; http://www.gbc.gi/television/tv-watch-live.php

Task force time?
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    if the Spanish dont play fair why should the u.k play fair.
  • Options
    Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jassi wrote: »
    As Britain and Spain are both members of NATO, that would make an interesting situation.

Who would the Americans back?
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squibbles wrote: »
    Probably lots going on behind closed doors. Can't see other EU countries being too happy especially Germany who likes outsiders to see the EU (even though Gibraltar is outside) as a happy family and the last thing they would want is more problems with the Spanish economy if a backlash occurred.

Gibralter is part of the EU, it even has MEP's.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spain is in financial meltdown, the Prime Minister is facing allegations of corruption what to do, ah yes reignite a colonial spat that should divert attention from the country's current ills :rolleyes:

Indeed. Not the first and certainly won't be the last leader of a nation that tries to stoke up tensions with external elements to distract its population from internal problems.
  • Options
    2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Sky News press review this evening guest Tory MP Rehman Chishti referred to Spain's two north African enclaves (Ceuta and Melilla) as "islands" - they're actually on the Moroccan mainland.

Didn't really detract from his basic point and I don't think he has any particular Foreign Office role, but I'd really expect any politician speaking on the matter to be better informed.
  • Options
    LincsDan32LincsDan32 Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What can the UK do?

Obviously strongly worded letters and "dressing down" the Spanish Ambassador in London hasn't worked.

Raise objections with the EU or UN?

Politely remind the Spanish of the Treaty of Utrecht especially article X?

Send down a couple of Royal Navy ships with a full compliment of Royal Marines?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What's in it for the UK being a "protector" to all these remnants of empire that are still around? We have to protect them, defend them, things like that but do they send us any of their tax revenues or things like that and if they don't, then how can people say we should hang onto our "protecting role" of places like Gibraltar, The Falklands and others?!
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Glyn W wrote: »
    They said the First World War would be over by Christmas.

And I bet the Russians and the Americans thought the same about the Afghans and the Vietnamese too.

If they're anything like the Italians were in WW2 it wouldn't take long and from what I've seen of their conscripts it's a certainty.

Anyway this talk of war is daft, a boycott by travel agents would be enough and to make it really hurt we get our fruit and veg from elsewhere.
  • Options
    clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Isn't it illegal to hinder travel between EU nations?

EU rules are just there for us Brits to follow. Everyone else ignores the ones they don't like.
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    clinch wrote: »
    EU rules are just there for us Brits to follow. Everyone else ignores the ones they don't like.

the u.k should stand up to the eu a lot more