Options

Remaster reviews..

fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,876
Forum Member
✭✭
As we transition between the last and the new generation of consoles we are seeing a significant amount of remasters, such as The Last of Us and Tomb Raider plus the forthcoming Halo Collection and Metro Redux.

My question is, how do gamers think they should be reviewed?

Take TLOU:R as an example.

Personally, I think a game should be reviewed on its own merit. A great game is still a great game, even if it's on a new platform.

But some reviewers are marking it down because it's not worth buying a second time. How is that relevant to the vast majority of potential buyers?

Then, there are others increasing their score because the PS4 version is a better experience than ever before.

What do you guys think? How would you review such a game?

Comments

• Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I think it should be reviewed, and scored, as a PS4 exclusive with the caveat that if you've bought it before then disregard the score.

Giving it a 6/10 say with the 'offers nothing new' comment for example is grossly unfair and incorrect to assume that 'everyone' has played it.
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, other than giving PS converts a chance to play this game, visually, the Last of Us Remastered is still last gen. Nowhere near the gorgeousness of Infamous: Second Sons.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A game shouldn't be down rated because you have played it before. Should Bioshock on PS3 received a lower rating than the 360 version because it offers nothing new and is not worth playing a second time.

It should be reviewed and rated on its own merits and if something has changed between the first version release and the remastered the remastered should be reviewed as such.

I really enjoyed Ratchet and Clank 1 when I first played it on PS2 (Before playing any of the other Ratchet games) but now playing it again on the Trilogy the controls are horrible and the game is really uncomfortable to play compared to all the Ratchet games which followed. PS2 Ratchet should probably be rated a 4/5, PS3 Ratchet HD should probably be rated a 2 or 3/5 because it has not aged well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Well, other than giving PS converts a chance to play this game, visually, the Last of Us Remastered is still last gen. Nowhere near the gorgeousness of Infamous: Second Sons.

We must be playing a different last of us remastered, the game is absolutely stunning to look at and is far better looking than the PS3 version, just look up a comparison video if you need evidence of that
  • Options
    ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    good thread FF. I think 'remakes/remastered' games will always be compared to the original, rightly or wrongly is the question though. TLOU on PS3 was, still is a fantastic game and I think that's where the problem comes from, is the remastered version any better than the original. Better gfx alone, doesn't make an already fantastic game any better, nor does doubling the frame rate.

I think the same discussion will arise if/when we get remakes of the Uncharted games for the PS4, although, I'd still purchase them. I can see from comparison's of both versions of TLOU that the PS4 looks miles better but it's still effectively, the same game.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    We must be playing a different last of us remastered, the game is absolutely stunning to look at and is far better looking than the PS3 version, just look up a comparison video if you need evidence of that

But how does it compare to other PS4 titles on the graphics front if that is all you have to compare graphic quality against.

I can see it might appear disappointing if you are comparing it to Infamous or another NG only title rather than comparing it to the PS3 version.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the same thing with Oddworld New 'n' Tasty. I remember asking how next gen, now this gen owners would feel about getting remakes and I was shot down in flames and told, we're not buying a new console to be fobbed off with last gen games/remakes.

I wonder how many of those now own TLOU remastered lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »

Just went to youtube and looked at the difference. Whilst it is slightly better than the PS3 it is nowhere near the level of something like inFAMOUS Second Sons. It's fine for what it is but I don't think it's worth PS3 users buying it twice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's fine for what it is but I don't think it's worth PS3 users buying it twice.

now you tell me :D
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just went to youtube and looked at the difference. Whilst it is slightly better than the PS3 it is nowhere near the level of something like inFAMOUS Second Sons. It's fine for what it is but I don't think it's worth PS3 users buying it twice.

inFamous was the first game I got on PS4 and I was distinctly underwhelmed by it graphically. Lighting and particle effects are great but textures are distinctly average. Got Killzone Shadow Fall the other day and it blows it out of the water.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    now you tell me :D

Sorry lol

What I've noticed is that this game really, really wants to be a movie. It's very cinematic in it's approach. I can see why Hollywood is developing it into a film.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seriously though. If a game is good enough then why shouldn't it be remastered for PS4. How many PS4 owners would jump at the chance of having the Uncharted games remastered ?. I sure as hell would and I'm hoping that's exactly what will/is happening.