Does anyone remember the shortlived 'Invasion'?

misterelimistereli Posts: 822
Forum Member
✭✭
It aired on ABC from 05-06.

If you haven't watched it or even heard of it, it was created by Shaun Cassidy and revolved around 2 families dealing with an 'alien' invasion in their town.

I loved the show. I have the DVD and have rewatched it countless times. The ratings started off big, but because the show was a bit slow at first people stopped watching. By the end of the show around half of the viewers had abandoned it. It's a shame too because the second half of the series was excellent, and the last 3 episodes were possibly my favourite 3 hours of TV I've ever watched.

Is anyone else here a fan? Everything about the show was perfect, and while I hate that it was cancelled (especially when it ended with that cliffhanger), at least it was given a full season.

If you've never watched it, buy the DVD and you will not regret it. I will admit that I wasn't hooked instantly like I was with Lost, but if you stick with it you'll be glad that you did. It's an extremely underrated show, and defnitely one of the best.

Her'es the IMDb page - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460651/

Comments

• Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it on my BT Vision box and started to watch but something else came up and I stopped. Will go back to it on your recommendation.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The guy who played the Sheriff also played a major role in the 2nd to 5th seasons of Prison and the fat guy with a beard ended as the "comedy sidekick" on Reaper
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Invasion was a decent series, and as much as I love slowburn, it took far, far too long to get going. Anyone in their right mind on the production team should have known that they were trying people's patience too much with the first half of the season.

A shame, a decent series that ultimately was let down by its own writers.

Personally, as much as I detest Brannon Braga, I thought Threshold was marginally better.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't they end the season and thus the series just like the other people ended Surface - ie. on a big cliffhanger so leaving the audience hanging with no possibility of a resolution. :(
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked it; I'm a fan of Blond Doctor. It was spoiled by the networks trying to make it too much like Lost, and spinning it out. Apparently in the original vision, she was supposed to
    find her body
    around the 4th of 5th episode.
  • musicdudemusicdude Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    I remember it. Got bored of it quite early on

I guess Flashforward was The Invasion of 2009/2010

Buzzed about show, big audience, declining audience half way through and then cancellation
  • alexjones50alexjones50 Posts: 3,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I remember it, shame it was cancelled, was a good show.
  • denddend Posts: 2,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember it and i remember nothing happening at all, the plot moved along so slowly. Shame as i never watched it all but i heard the last few episodes were good?
  • Leatherface!!!Leatherface!!! Posts: 4,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was okay, but very slow.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    musicdude wrote: »
    I guess Flashforward was The Invasion of 2009/2010
    I think Invasion had the better acting. Flashforward was quite well-paced, in my opinion, but most viewers didn't much care about the characters.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have started watching it again and have seen two episodes and half of the third. Will go back to it tomorrow. It is a decent show and it is a shame it was cancelled.
  • PinkvelvetPinkvelvet Posts: 10,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it all and was gutted when it was cancelled. Although it was slow at first, it ended up a really decent storyline. Would love to see it return.
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    22 odd episodes,they could have told the whole story in about 13,to many filler episodes i felt.
    not a bad series but like most have said it just took to long to get going.
    the shreiff was the only guy that i liked,the rest were pretty bland
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    yeah! this was a great programme! eddie cibrian was in it too! how come they always can the good stuff!
  • Johna456Johna456 Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    Yes i remember this one, did enjoy what i saw
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Don't shoot me, but i hated it. Practically the whole series was filler with very little actually happening and far too much focus on the incredibly annoying and stupid kids/teenagers, and William Fichtner's character was beyond boring, he even looked bored delivering his lines. I watched it to the end because i normally like that sort of sci-fi show and i was holding out in the vain hope that it'd improve, but it was just awful (imo of course).
  • mgbgtmgbgt Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    rhynoGB wrote: »
    22 odd episodes,they could have told the whole story in about 13,to many filler episodes i felt.
    not a bad series but like most have said it just took to long to get going.
    the shreiff was the only guy that i liked,the rest were pretty bland

It was actually only supposed to be about 13 episodes!! IIRC, Mr Cassidy proposed a story of around 13 eps, and the studio bought into it. As soon as they started filming, the studio insisted on umpteen further episodes and Cassidy was unable to hold them to the original plan, so 9 or so filler episodes were slotted in the middle. That's why many folk (myself included) thought the show started off great and reasonably fast-paced, then slowed down quite a bit in the middle, before picking up again.

Personally, I loved the whole thing, and was gutted it got cancelled. I always think that every show (not just the ones I like myself!) should have a budget for an extra 2 or 3 eps lying in the bank, so that if it doesn't get renewed, the funds are there to try and give some kind of reasonable closure to a show - like a thank you to the fans who DID follow it all through.

But until I win Euromillions after a 10 week rollover, its never gonna happen for some of my favourite cancelled shows!!!:D
  • joebloggs90joebloggs90 Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do and I liked too but I don't remember seeing the end of the series, it just dissapeared from the TV one week (Sky1, IIRC). :(
    Forum Member
    I do and I liked too but I don't remember seeing the end of the series, it just dissapeared from the TV one week (Sky1, IIRC). :(

It was on Channel 4 and E4 (First Look).
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mistereli wrote: »
    It aired on ABC from 05-06.

That was the year that there were three new shortlived alien series. All of them failed.

Invasion looked interesting but most people gave up after a few episodes in which time nothing had happened.

Surface was very silly with some ludicrous plotting, bad science and annoying kids but somehow survived a whole season. Lake Bell was cute though.

Threshold was terrible. Brent Spiner plus Brannon Braga does not necessarily good sci-fi make. Can't remember how many episodes were made but I gave up after three.
  • Stone FreeStone Free Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Invasion looked interesting but most people gave up after a few episodes in which time nothing had happened.
    Basically Invasion got screwed through the success of Lost, I reckon if the studio hadn't intervened and screwed with Cassidy's proposed a story it would have been really successful.

He does seem to have really bad luck, American Gothic was excellent but the studio screwed with the episode running order so it made no sense when shown in the US. At least channel 4 showed it in the correct order, its just a shame that when they finally released it on DVD it was still in the US running order.
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Threshold was terrible. Brent Spiner plus Brannon Braga does not necessarily good sci-fi make. Can't remember how many episodes were made but I gave up after three.

Finally, someone who agrees with me on that terible show. Literally the only saving grace of the programme was having an excuse to stare at Carla Gugino for 42 minutes a week. For the life of me, i can't understand why people seem to hold Threshold in such high regard.
  • pmiddspmidds Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Finally, someone who agrees with me on that terible show. Literally the only saving grace of the programme was having an excuse to stare at Carla Gugino for 42 minutes a week. For the life of me, i can't understand why people seem to hold Threshold in such high regard.

Invasion - should, and could, have been better, but I quite enjoyed it.

Threshold - mindless, stupid fun that didn't quite hit the spot. Enjoyable, mainly for the reason stated above - and the funny dwarf.
  • Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what i understand, the first season was only meant to be 13 episodes, then ABC extended the run to 22, as only 13 eps had been planed for the initial run a lot of padding had to be done this slowed the show to a crawl and doomed the show, if they had of done the original 13 eps , i think the show could have lasted a few seasons.
  • joebloggs90joebloggs90 Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    It was on Channel 4 and E4 (First Look).

Could be right, I can't remember :o maybe it was Threshold that was on Sky.