Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone! It's been a while and I've just finished trawling through about a year's worth of posts!

The Doc Martin Series 6 Blog is up and running, but I need your help to make it a worthwhile resource. If you are one of the lucky ones visiting Port Isaac for filming and would like a forum to share your story and pictures, please let me know. Also, if you find anything on the interwebs that you think others would enjoy I'd love to share that too!

Alone we can only fill buckets. Together, we can drain rivers!

docmartinseries6.blogspot.com

Drop on by!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best watch your step if you're visiting Port Isaac for filming!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-22009580

Tread lightly there.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    Thanks Kernow! What do you bet there's a medical emergency that interupts the proceedings?

i think there's a fanfic along those lines -- maybe it's a Christmas pageant of some kind, and a medical emergency. If memory serves.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    larablair wrote: »
    Louisa's reaction to AJ's passing:
    I think the scene was right on. I would have to make that judgement call from my own experience of being an introvert with strong personal space. Upon learning of the death of a close family member is to immediately enter another dimension. You don't really hear what people are saying. Touch means nothing. It's not an emptiness, it's just another place. He did touch JH but that was just instinctive. Even if Louisa had touched or hugged him, he would not have felt it at that moment in time. He was ready for it the next day at the funeral.

Interesting, Larablair. I am a decided introvert myself, always have been.

But, if the only person in the world who ever loved me, and whom I loved, suddenly died, and my partner was standing a foot or two away, with whom I had had sex and made a beautiful baby, and with whom I was going to spend the night, yeah, I'd want him to sit down next to me, and touch me in SOME kind and not extravagant way, anything that let me know he was there for me, in the way I needed him to be.

So, I don't think we can make specific stereotypes about which reaction is the best reaction for any type of person, introvert or extrovert or whomever. There are always human individualities and quirks even within their general personality traits.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would just like to say that no one would ever call him funny looking in the optimal nutritional dinner scene :p The hair and makeup people did a primo job. I generally go for the character actors instead of the leading men types but he was just so scrumptious in that scene.

Your example is a good one of how he can look so different at times. He was definitely spoon-able in that scene! Oh, dear, now I have to go look at it again. Ahhhhh.......:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »

But, if the only person in the world who ever loved me, and whom I loved, suddenly died, and my partner was standing a foot or two away, with whom I had had sex and made a beautiful baby, and with whom I was going to spend the night, yeah, I'd want him to sit down next to me, and touch me in SOME kind and not extravagant way, anything that let me know he was there for me, in the way I needed him to be.

So, I don't think we can make specific stereotypes about which reaction is the best reaction for any type of person, introvert or extrovert or whomever. There are always human individualities and quirks even within their general personality traits.

I'm right on the fence between introvert and extrovert. And I have found myself reacting both ways that you, mmD, and larablair have expressed. And I don't always know why I tip the way I do in any given situation, until later usually.

So yes, we are all individuals and I always appreciate when each of you speaks through your own experience and how you see what happened on the screen. That makes for the lively and interesting discussions we have here on the forum.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Port Isaac resident posted on the Doc Martin FB page that the were going to be filming in PI on April 26th. I think they are limited to a certain number of days in PI itself, and that those days are published well in advance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hod wrote: »
    Hi everyone! It's been a while and I've just finished trawling through about a year's worth of posts!

The Doc Martin Series 6 Blog is up and running, but I need your help to make it a worthwhile resource.

Alone we can only fill buckets. Together, we can drain rivers!

docmartinseries6.blogspot.com

Drop on by!

Hod, thank you so much for the fantastic work you put into your blog. I love the photos and articles you find. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    A Port Isaac resident posted on the Doc Martin FB page that the were going to be filming in PI on April 26th. I think they are limited to a certain number of days in PI itself, and that those days are published well in advance.

Poorrichard is going to be in PI then! How fantastic for her (and us!) :D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    mmDerdekea wrote: »

mmDerdekea, I wasn’t making a decree here. DM can’t be stereotyped for obvious reasons. Louisa’s heartfelt words washing over him just felt right to me at that moment. I'm really not that opinionated, honestly. If they chose to play the scene with Louisa reacting as you described that would have been fine too. (Heck,I'm still undecided about Edith's true intentions toward the Doc)

However, my last sentence about the next day was just crap. He was out of himself by the time he got back from the mortuary. And I would have expected Louisa to hold on to his arm as they were walking down the street.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Seems rather slow compared to last season's shooting at this time, doesn't it? Right off the bat we had the pictures of DM and the baby, e.g.

I think the weather is a lot colder this year than it was two years ago at the same time.

Remember all the early photos of s5 were of the cast on balconies in the sun?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...He was out of himself by the time he got back from the mortuary. And I would have expected Louisa to hold on to his arm as they were walking down the street.

I liked the way Louisa reacted when Martin joins her walking down the street--appropriately concerned about him, but not pushing on him for anything more (like a display of affection--even taking his arm) that invaded his space.

He is intensely private, and it seems affection in his world is best left to the home and other very private venues. That's why his taking her hand as they walked back from the concert was such a big deal, as it actually was out in public with other people around who could see it. (What a big step that was for him, and one of my all time favorite scenes.) Wow! I just realized that is why her breaking up with him a bit later really bothered me. He had just taken a giant step for him, additionally embracing and kissing in public under the trees without protest, and she still couldn't see past his words!

Now if I may leap ahead to S5, ep8, I just realized that at the end when Louisa is asking for him to say it again (she wants more words), he's already said it twice, and in that moment, he kisses her (action, not words) but then starts to give her the words, too, when rudely interrupted (as usual) by PC Penhale. Could that be a starting point of relationship resolution for S6? That Doc figures out he may need to use his words more, and Louisa figures out to take heed of his actions more?

From a more practical standpoint, I've walked that same street as Doc and Louisa did, and it is bloody awkward to be walking it holding on to someone as it is quite steep in its grade. On watching the scene again, I notice even the Doc's stiff-legged gait seems forced into a bit of spring in the knees due to the downhill slope. And while they are walking almost in sync, they really are still out of step with each other. (metaphorical to their situation?)

Okay, I'm getting way to serious and analytical this morning. On to tax preparation.:( :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    I think the weather is a lot colder this year than it was two years ago at the same time.

Remember all the early photos of s5 were of the cast on balconies in the sun?

While it is the beginning of April and I wasn't in Port Isaac until late April, what I think might be germane here is that my experience was it could be rainy for a while, then the sun would come out brilliantly, and then it might even rain or shower or just sprinkle again or vice versa, The weather was different from the day before almost constantly. The sky seems to move along really fast there.

Temperature fluctuated along with it, to some degree. Fan pictures often show CC in a warm coat and her Uggs between filming. And sometimes others, too. So the filming must go on, much like our mailmen's creed. I look at the Port Isaac temp every few days and it is lagging behind ours here in Portland this year, while last year we seemed to mirror each other mostly.

In some video I've seen, they were filming in front of Doc's surgery, and then they have to stop and the umbrella's come out and it is a rain break! Experienced that there also.
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A couple of people have mentioned seeing MC at the Tesco in Wadebridge today. Nothing about filming.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is intensely private, and it seems affection in his world is best left to the home and other very private venues. That's why his taking her hand as they walked back from the concert was such a big deal, as it actually was out in public with other people around who could see it. (What a big step that was for him, and one of my all time favorite scenes.) Wow! I just realized that is why her breaking up with him a bit later really bothered me. He had just taken a giant step for him, additionally embracing and kissing in public under the trees without protest, and she still couldn't see past his words!

While I agree that he is a very private person, I think sometimes we shortchange him a bit. He also shared a pretty passionate kiss with Louisa on her balcony in full view of a lot of the village. And for the aborted wedding he was willing to stand up in front of a pretty full church and profess his love and fidelity to her. When they first discussed where they would marry, HE brought up booking a church and she gave him an opening to opt out of a church wedding. L:"I do if you do." M: "I do". If he wIshed to have a more private ceremony he could have suggested going to a registrar's office and I'Bm sure she would have agreed. After all, the only important person they would really have there was Aunt Joan.

And then he also professed his love for her at the castle in front of AR and Joe Penhale. I'm sure Joe will feel even more like Martin's BFF after being witness to that and to the kiss :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While it is the beginning of April and I wasn't in Port Isaac until late April, what I think might be germane here is that my experience was it could be rainy for a while, then the sun would come out brilliantly, and then it might even rain or shower or just sprinkle again or vice versa, The weather was different from the day before almost constantly. The sky seems to move along really fast there.

Temperature fluctuated along with it, to some degree. Fan pictures often show CC in a warm coat and her Uggs between filming. And sometimes others, too. So the filming must go on, much like our mailmen's creed. I look at the Port Isaac temp every few days and it is lagging behind ours here in Portland this year, while last year we seemed to mirror each other mostly.

That makes sense. I have some friends here from Cornwall right now. They like the fact we have 3 or 4 or more rainless days and it gets warm to hot 28-30 degrees C. Although it is starting to cool off a bit now, here, and the autumn rain has arrived, but we get many more rain free days than rainy days, unlike Cornwall, apparently, and less wind even though we're on the coast, too.

They say Buffallo pictures must rush outside the minute the sun shines to come up with the unrealistic impression that the weather is perpetually lovely in Portwenn.

Don't know how this is possible if BP have to specify weeks in advance which days they'll be filming in the village.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    That makes sense. I have some friends here from Cornwall right now. They like the fact we have 3 or 4 or more rainless days and it gets warm to hot 28-30 degrees C. Although it is starting to cool off a bit now, here, and the autumn rain has arrived, but we get many more rain free days than rainy days, unlike Cornwall, apparently, and less wind even though we're on the coast, too.

They say Buffallo pictures must rush outside the minute the sun shines to come up with the unrealistic impression that the weather is perpetually lovely in Portwenn.

Don't know how this is possible if BP have to specify weeks in advance which days they'll be filming in the village.

Weather and its effect on us and our perceptions about it are quite interesting.

Before going to Port Isaac last year, we had had such a cold, constant bleak and gray rainy winter in Portland that when we got to SW England and especially Cornwall, we thought we'd died and gone to heaven with only intermittent rain and the lovely sunshine we had (probably half our 18 days there were at least some sun even if still chilly.) We had one rainy, one cloudy, one sunny day (generally) while in PI and pleasant if not overly warm temps.

Coming through Miami Airport this year, we talked to folks from Liverpool and Manchester, who said we were probably in Cornwall during the last bit of nice weather they had all year! And my friends in Swindon, UK seem to constantly moan about the cold and damp. And I can see why when I check their weather forecasts on the web. But then I have other friends who revel in snow and cold.

The critical piece in all this is SUN. Even in Colorado and Wyoming, it could be 20 below zero, but often the sun was shining and it felt good! The presence of sun does us all wonders.

As to BP, I think there must be some lighting technique during filming that can be used to "imitate" sunnier conditions. Would like to hear from someone who knows if that is true. Adelie, can you speak to it?

And just maybe, we need to pay more attention to the background, as I've spotted many an inclement weather condition on screen as well as one time when looking at Martin the weather is sunny outside Louisa's door and then when looking at Louisa, it is raining and bleak outside her window.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    FYI...Just found on twitter: CC has signed to do Season 3 of DCI Banks along with Andrea who is the person who she was replacing for maternity leave.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea, I wasn’t making a decree here. DM can’t be stereotyped for obvious reasons. Louisa’s heartfelt words washing over him just felt right to me at that moment. I'm really not that opinionated, honestly. If they chose to play the scene with Louisa reacting as you described that would have been fine too. (Heck,I'm still undecided about Edith's true intentions toward the Doc)

However, my last sentence about the next day was just crap. He was out of himself by the time he got back from the mortuary. And I would have expected Louisa to hold on to his arm as they were walking down the street.

You know, it's interesting, but when she grabbed his hand at the funeral, when the actuality of AJ's death was really sinking in, one would think that even DM might respond positively to her very gentle affection. But, that's when he seemed to not want it and not welcome it. I think that's because he was irritated at the Potes arriving late. DM seems very single-minded with his emotions. If he is irritated at the Potes, he cannot welcome LG's affection. He's sometimes very black and white with his emotions; all or none at times. Notice how he packs off LG to walk the fully capable of walking alone Aunt Ruth to the church.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it that there are two camps on this forum: those who appreciate and celebrate the Doc's stoicism and those who hope for more? And perhaps the discussion of Louisa's making a small show of affection or sympathy following the announcement of AJ's death is really an extension of the former conversation? I must declare myself as one who hopes for more both for and from them both.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    A couple of people have mentioned seeing MC at the Tesco in Wadebridge today. Nothing about filming.

Thanks, Connie. Good to hear from you!

On another note for Portlanders and surrounds, I just submitted a proposal to Multnomah County Public Library about the possibility of doing some sort of Doc Martin meet-up group, workshop, or whatever they would want to call it. I hope to hear back from them in 2-3 days, they say.

I've put together some things for friends and thought I could share them out with a wider audience here. And much of it has come from being on this forum as well as questioning and wondering on my own and doing research.

If there is anyone here interested (active folks or lurkers), please PM me, so I might begin to ascertain interest. :)

Stateside, are you still coming to Portland?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »

Was he spotted at the fish counter....?

OR

Maybe, the pharmacy ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    Was he spotted at the fish counter....?

OR

Maybe, the pharmacy ?

Hopefully not buying Y fronts. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders you're more likely to find one in your bedroom.

I'm afraid of Martin Clunes. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders you're more likely to find one in your bedroom.

I'm afraid of Martin Clunes. :)

:):):)
This discussion has been closed.