Options

Why did Zoe Lucker, Jamie Lomas and Gary Lucy fail ?

jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
Forum Member
✭✭✭
All three actors are very competent and have done so well in their previous programmes be it Footballers Wives or Hollyoaks but in Eastenders they all failed in my eyes. They were not given the right storylines to show case their talents. Why was this?

Comments

• Options
    hetty100hetty100 Posts: 4,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because they had 2 very crap EP at the time.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    They were hired because they were established names, Not because the show needed the characters? Headline grabbers maybe
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mainly because their characters and storylines were crap.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamie has not failed- he is still in the show.
  • Options
    Check it outCheck it out Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I am supporting Dominic, the fact that he axed Kirsty, and seems to have axed Danny as well, while keeping Dexter and Fatboy is ludicrous.

As for Vanessa, she suffered from being little more than Max's lady. A plot device there to make a Max and Tanya affair all the more "thrilling". We got glimpses of magic from her, and it is an absolute insult that Zoe wasn't given more to do.

As for Jamie, meh. He's never thrilled me as an actor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think many people are baffled on Dexter and FatBoy.

They are both deadwood characters and are played by poor actors yet Khali Best wins best newcomer at the NTA's!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have Hardly had any successful newbies in that 4 year period, the only one I can think of that was really successful was Micheal, and maybe at a stretch Cora(although I dont know what the big deal is with her:confused:)

new characters basically had no thought put to them also many were hired for the wrong reasons their names/ thier looks etc.
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    For me...

Zoe - big name and only brought in for plot device as stated above

Jamie - for me he will always be Warren from Hollyoaks. I think his storyline was more to highlight Lauren is just like her Dad.

Gary - had potential and his small scenes with Johnny I liked, they could have built that up as two don't get along.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michael was amazing, Cora could be amazing.

I think under DTC the characters will flourish a lot more.
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    They weren't developed enough. Although, under DTC, I think we've really begun to see Jamie Lomas shine
  • Options
    spungerspunger Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all_night wrote: »

Jamie - for me he will always be Warren from Hollyoaks.

That's the big problem i have with him. He hasn't been able to, or maybe not good enough to shake off Warren. I keep thinking i'm watching a down trodden Warren.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think in the case of Vanessa, much like Ava and Danny, she was brought in with no long term plan in place. Vanessa was always intended to be a guest star, then they saw potential so wanted to develop the character but no actual development took place. In her first episode it was hinted she had OCD. This never became a full on story, why was she always in white or cream? etc. None of it was explained. She just became a victim of Max and Tanya.

I think the biggest oversight in recent years was Kierston Wareing. By rights she should have been one of the shows leading ladies by now. A BAFTA nominated actress no less. Yet she was completely wasted from start to finish. Such a shame.

Its far too early to tell what will happen with Jake. DTC could end up taking the character in a completely different direction now. Jac Jossa seemed to hint Lauren and Jake were over. So I don't think the plan is for them two to play all happy families.
  • Options
    iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    I must be the only one that liked Vanessa (Zoe Lucker)? I thought the Gold's were a good addition, shame they left :(

As for the other two, they've failed so far because LN has paced them awfully. I still think there's a chance for Jake to improve though.
  • Options
    iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    hetty100 wrote: »
    They have Hardly had any successful newbies in that 4 year period, the only one I can think of that was really successful was Micheal, and maybe at a stretch Cora(although I dont know what the big deal is with her:confused:)

new characters basically had no thought put to them also many were hired for the wrong reasons their names/ thier looks etc.
    I prefer Lola, Poppy, Jodie, Vanessa, Harry, Fatboy, Zsa Zsa and probably more in recent years to Michael and Cora. Two characters I can't stand.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never rated Michael Moon much either. I think his character is one of the reasons viewers turned off. Some of the crazy screaming fits were always met with ridicule on Twitter and Facebook. It sort of became a running joke and if your character becomes a parody you know its all gone wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never rated Michael Moon much either. I think his character is one of the reasons viewers turned off. Some of the crazy screaming fits were always met with ridicule on Twitter and Facebook. It sort of became a running joke and if your character becomes a parody you know its all gone wrong.

I think he started off good, like when he was being creepy round Ronnie, I thought they should have kept being a twisted villain, instead they lumbered him with a wife and kid and they character went down hill from then.
    He defiantly could have been better.
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope there are plans to use Jake as Jamie Lomas is a very good actor. I could see Jake with either Ronnie or Roxy and would work well with both in my opinion, or perhaps they could be planning on Stacey and Jake which would therefore increase the rivalry that we are gonna get between Stacey and Lauren.
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Writing and sls. Vanessa was just a clone of Max's gf, once you're casted as Max's love interest you know you will be a desperate pathetic fool you won't be developed and will probably be a rubbish character.

Jake or his family were not established or developed enough for me to care about them. Sadie went from obsessing over bins to revealing her and Jake killed a child. Not enough development for me to care.

Why was Danny brought in if they had no plans for him.
  • Options
    EastEnders2014EastEnders2014 Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    I'm hoping Jake starts banging Roxy then that way he will probably end up six feet under thanks to Ronnie
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all_night wrote: »
    For me...

Zoe - big name and only brought in for plot device as stated above

Jamie - for me he will always be Warren from Hollyoaks. I think his storyline was more to highlight Lauren is just like her Dad.

Gary - had potential and his small scenes with Johnny I liked, they could have built that up as two don't get along.

he wasn't even used very well in that, only to be a complete d*ck to Johnny.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It always seems when these "big names" join soaps their performance always seems below par and they rarely seem to impress me. Maybe because they think because they are an accomplished actor they don't have much to prove.

Lindsey Coulson, Jessie Wallace, Steve McFadden etc are all better than the likes of Kiersten Warren or Ann Mitchell.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,303
    Forum Member
    Vanessa just did not fit in, her character was so extreme that you just could not believe that she'd be happy living in the squalor that is Walford. There was not many people she could interact with so she completely flopped.

Likewise with Danny. they should not have made him a city banker. His character should have just been the local business manager in the bank on the high street and someone who grew up in Walford so was well known by the locals. By making him a city banker he just seemed really out of place in the east end.

And the problem with all three of them was that they were not integrated and developed enough.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    They were hired because they were established names, Not because the show needed the characters? Headline grabbers maybe

No, they were simply not given any proper storylines, and in most cases were left on the sidelines as a background character with no real development.

A lack of creative imagination from the writers who are paid to be creative.

And as was seen from Zoe Lucker's performance, once her character was on the way out, the writing improved dramatically.
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't so. I sometimes read the Twitter posts whenever 'Michael Moon' was trending on there (which was quite often) and the tweets were usually full of people saying what a great character he was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteveOwen wrote: »
    I really don't so. I sometimes read the Twitter posts whenever 'Michael Moon' was trending on there (which was quite often) and the tweets were usually full of people saying what a great character he was.

He just came in at the wrong era.