Misophonia

Sharona68Sharona68 Posts: 1,915
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have had a severe problem with eating noises since I was a child. I literally cannot bear being near anyone eating, and especially if they are particularly noisy eaters.

It makes me so angry, I actually want to physically harm the person doing it, regardless of who they are.

So as I had a few minutes to spare, I googled it and came up with a condition called Misophonia which covers my "condition" along with being a general disorder whereby people have a severe reaction to certain noises.

Now I also have ASMR (which means other noises - mainly pages turning in my case) literally put me into an hypnotic state that I never want to end. Again, I have had this for years but only recently found out it had a name.

Looking at the description of Misophobia, I'm surprised that I also have ASMR and wondered if anyone else experienced these contradicting conditions.

Comments

• radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharona68 wrote: »
    I have had a severe problem with eating noises since I was a child. I literally cannot bear being near anyone eating, and especially if they are particularly noisy eaters.

It makes me so angry, I actually want to physically harm the person doing it, regardless of who they are.

So as I had a few minutes to spare, I googled it and came up with a condition called Misophonia which covers my "condition" along with being a general disorder whereby people have a severe reaction to certain noises.

Now I also have ASMR (which means other noises - mainly pages turning in my case) literally put me into an hypnotic state that I never want to end. Again, I have had this for years but only recently found out it had a name.

Looking at the description of Misophobia, I'm surprised that I also have ASMR and wondered if anyone else experienced these contradicting conditions.

You need professional help.
  • Sharona68Sharona68 Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL it's never got to that stage...yet.
  • DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't stand people who eat loudly or talk with their mouths full of food but I would never actually attack them because of it. If my boyfriend does it, occasionally I have told him to keep his lips together when he is eating because I can see his food. ;-)
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    the brother of a friend stabbed someone at the next table in a restaurant with a fork for slopping :o.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who slurp soup can be annoying. :)
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You need professional help.

There is very little understanding of Misophonia amongst so called 'Professionals'.

I have misophonia as well as Hyperacusis and it was a real fight to get the help I needed.

I had to complain to my local councillor to get sound proofing as the Occupational Therapist was next to useless.

People find it very difficult to understand just how maddening some noises can be to us.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    There is very little understanding of Misophonia amongst so called 'Professionals'.

I have misophonia as well as Hyperacusis and it was a real fight to get the help I needed.

I had to complain to my local councillor to get sound proofing as the Occupational Therapist was next to useless.

People find it very difficult to understand just how maddening some noises can be to us.

what are the necessary criteria for that please, koan?
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

worms all over the carpet ;-)
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    I also hate it.

It's as if the sound is magnified in my head. Knives and forks clanking, scraping and screeching off plates, food being chewed, slurped and crunched. Some people also breathe noisily when they are eating.

I think I definitely have this condition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who blow their noses loudly while I am eating in a restaurant annoys me. Even worse if they use the paper napkin instead of their own tissue. It should be banned imho.
  • Sharona68Sharona68 Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's really only eating that causes my misophonia so it's something I can handle. I rarely put myself in a situation where it's going to be triggered. I'm just glad that I've found out that it's a real disorder and not something exclusive to myself. The rage and anger it makes me feel has often left me feeling guilty about it when the noise clearly doesn't bother anyone else. It's really not nice wanting to inflict harm on people, especially your own family!

I have picked up on another couple of triggers after reading a few websites, ie I also get annoyed at a family member that says "and erm......" between every sentence when speaking to me. This person also gesticulates a lot with their hands when speaking and this also really irritates me to the point where I simply cannot look at them when they are doing it. These are much less severe than the eating noise reactions.

I wasn't familiar with Hyperacusis so I've just googled it. Given my reaction to eating sounds, it must be a dreadful condition to suffer with.

After I made this post I googled to see if Misophonia and ASMR often come together (which they do), so it's not as uncommon as I thought.

With regard to the ASMR though, I'm quite happy to "suffer" from this. As I said, it's mainly pages turning that provoke my reaction. I will quite happily sit next to people reading newspapers or magazines for hours. I get quite annoyed when they have finished. I used to buy my boss a newspaper every day just so I could experience it.
  • PuddinPuddin Posts: 439
    Forum Member

I have this. Its also with eating noises, but weirdly only my mum!

I can totally relate to wanting to psychically harm the person making the noise. I have had to leave the room when she is eating for as long as I can remember. It really affected my life when I lived at home.

My sister and uncle also suffer with this, so I wonder if its hereditary..

People never understand, and just assume you're exaggerating.

Eta: people breathing really annoys me, I cannot stand the sound of my bf sat next to me breathing really heavily (well, I feel as if he's doing it heavily when it reality it's just normal)
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member

I really hate if someone is in the room tapping on something, and I get a similar thing with some people eating, but not all. I also get ASMR. Quite interesting... thanks for posting :)
    Forum Member
    Just read up about ASMR. I get that with people playing with Poker chips!
  • India_RainIndia_Rain Posts: 2,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strangely enough, I read this in the paper today.

I understand what you mean, though I don't get angry about it. I'm really sensitive to noise and feel very claustrophobic and like everything is closing in around me, if there is a lot of noise around me. Certain noises are like a dripping tap on my head.

Though I'm sensitive to all outward stimulation. All my senses are constantly on hyper alert - bright lights, vivid colours, noise, smells, tastes, touch - they all cause me a sense of physical and emotional discomfort. It's exhausting to be over stimulated all the time and I have to live my life accordingly (though I can listen to my dog snore for hours and find it comforting). :blush:
  • Phaz0rPhaz0r Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha, you would hate my dad. He's the most sloppy gnasher of an eater you ever heard. It's almost as if he wants to draw everyone's attention to the fact that he's eating. I kind of laugh because he'd be the first to complain if somebody else done it around him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    India_Rain wrote: »
    Strangely enough, I read this in the paper today.

I understand what you mean, though I don't get angry about it. I'm really sensitive to noise and feel very claustrophobic and like everything is closing in around me, if there is a lot of noise around me. Certain noises are like a dripping tap on my head.

Though I'm sensitive to all outward stimulation. All my senses are constantly on hyper alert - bright lights, vivid colours, noise, smells, tastes, touch - they all cause me a sense of physical and emotional discomfort. It's exhausting to be over stimulated all the time and I have to live my life accordingly. :blush:

Do you mean this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2556639/The-sound-boyfriend-chewing-makes-want-strangle-Model-20-phobia-NOISE-makes-fly-rage-hears-eating.html
  • India_RainIndia_Rain Posts: 2,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's what I read, yes. I think that's the same as what the OP meant (though not the same as mine).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

I would presume you'd have to somehow prove that your condition, and the noises, were so bad it was affecting your mental health. That would mean input from health professionals etc. would be needed before any council would undertake any such work.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Tbh it's far more likely you read the article on 'misophonia' in today's Daily Mail.

Another overwhelmingly invented tabloid syndrome. Am unconvinced that simply translating life's normal, low level everyday irritations into Greek more-or-less, somehow thereby makes it a 'genuine' condition. Thus 'Consecotaleophobia' = fear of chopsticks. 'It's a real condition'.
    Forum Member
    cultureman wrote: »
    Tbh it's far more likely you read the article on 'misophonia' in today's Daily Mail.

Another overwhelmingly invented tabloid syndrome. Am unconvinced that simply translating life's normal, low level everyday irritations into Greek more-or-less, somehow thereby makes it a 'genuine' condition. Thus 'Consecotaleophobia' = fear of chopsticks. 'It's a real condition'.

I've had this diagnosed since the age of 14. You have no idea what you're talking about.
    Forum Member

It's a discussion, not an interrogation. Why does it matter where she read it?

If people get this feeling, it is real. It is not invented by tabloids. Just another case of someone not understanding something, because they don't have it themselves.
  • ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    It's a discussion, not an interrogation. Why does it matter where she read it?

If people get this feeling, it is real. It is not invented by tabloids. Just another case of someone not understanding something, because they don't have it themselves.

Everybody gets this feeling to a greater or lesser degree. That's why it's a normal part of the human condition and not some newly discovered psychiatric disorder. That's just the pseudo-medicalisation of everyday life by (paid) 'experts'. You'll always find an 'expert' prepared to testify that black is white if you pay him or her

The Daily Mail has vast acreages of virtual space to fill so commission this kind of guff for the consumption of the credulous.

'The sound of my boyfriend chewing makes me want to strangle him': Model, 20, has a phobia of NOISE which makes her fly into a rage when she hears someone eating

Faith Watson, 20, has misophonia - the hatred of sound
    Certain noises - including chewing - make her irrationally angry
    At meals she has to have the TV on so she can't hear people chewing
    She had to drop out of college after being tormented by classroom noises
    Now she has been officially diagnosed she is rebuilding her life and trying to make a career as a model

Forum Member
    Everybody gets this feeling to a greater or lesser degree. That's why it's a normal part of the human condition and not some newly discovered psychiatric disorder. That's just the pseudo-medicalisation of everyday life by (paid) 'experts'. You'll always find an 'expert' prepared to testify that black is white if you pay him or her

The Daily Mail has vast acreages of virtual space to fill so commission this kind of guff for the consumption of the credulous.

Maybe it is the degree that makes the diagnosis in this case? It could be normal to be irritated by someone eating, but not to the extent at which the OP talks about. It is normal to be depressed sometimes for example, but when the depression is constant or irrational, it is a condition.

I never read the daily mail, the OP didn't mention it either, but it is really irrelevant, since you can look up the condition yourself and see that it is not something the daily mail just invented. If the daily mail is so bad, why read it? You're the one that's talking about it and how it is for the 'consumption of the credulous'.