Options

Apple's iPhone 5c outsold Blackberry, Windows Phone and every Android Flagship in Q4

BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
Forum Member
✭✭
http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/03/22/apples-iphone-5c-failure-flop-outsold-blackberry-windows-phone-and-every-android-flagship-in-q4
From the constant harping about the supposed "failure" of Apple's iPhone 5c, you'd think the phone is selling poorly. The reality is that middle tier model, while dramatically less popular than Apple's top of the line iPhone 5s, still managed to outsell every Blackberry, every Windows Phone and every Android flagship in the winter quarter, including Samsung's Galaxy S4.
The primary data point supporting the "5c Failure" propaganda campaign is that the cheaper model hasn't been able to outsell Apple's top of the line 5s, as if Apple would prefer to sell the 5c and collect at least $100 less per sale.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen increasing amounts of people buying a 5C. It's a good phone, just plastic.
  • Options
    Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TescoJeans wrote: »
    I've seen increasing amounts of people buying a 5C. It's a good phone, just plastic.

It's a good quality plastic though. My sister has the 5C and it feels like a high-quality, solid phone. The 5C has not been the disaster some people on this forum and elsewhere have made it out to be, it's just being vastly outsold by it's big brother, but that's no bad thing for Apple. Why would they want a less profitable product to outsell their flagship?
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    I often wonder why Apple propaganda sites are so frequently quoted by some people, it's as if no normal tech sites share their opinion :)
  • Options
    PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Official figure from Apple?

As it's from an Apple fan site I don't find this too surprising
  • Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulsalter wrote: »
    Official figure from Apple?

As it's from an Apple fan site I don't find this too surprising

IMO Appleinsider is one of the worst. They don't even pretend to be impartial.
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    I often wonder why Apple propaganda sites are so frequently quoted by some people, it's as if no normal tech sites share their opinion :)

Red rag to a bull. I sit back and await your comments with amusement.
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like others say it's got so much better quality plastic than the competitors. ;)

Guess a lot of people are waiting for the S5 to come out to why there were not a lot of S4's sold and even then there are so many other options of Android phones than iPhone's the numbers are spread across so many different models and manufacturer's (like saying bananas outsold any other fruit.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Smith wrote: »
    It's a good quality plastic though. My sister has the 5C and it feels like a high-quality, solid phone. The 5C has not been the disaster some people on this forum and elsewhere have made it out to be, it's just being vastly outsold by it's big brother, but that's no bad thing for Apple. Why would they want a less profitable product to outsell their flagship?

They make more on the 5C than the 5S. The reason the 5C has been such a disaster is two fold. Firstly you can buy a 4S and people can think you have the Apple flagship from 2011 but if you buy the 5C everyone knows you don't have the flagship. And secondly it looks and feel like a cheap plastic toy. Apple should have looked at what Nokia have done with the Lumia range and LG have done with the Nexus 5.
  • Options
    Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the constant harping about the supposed "failure" of Apple's iPhone 5c, you'd think the phone is selling poorly. The reality is that middle tier model, while dramatically less popular than Apple's top of the line iPhone 5s, still managed to outsell every Blackberry, every Windows Phone and every Android flagship in the winter quarter, including Samsung's Galaxy S4.
    This statement in particular seems questionable.

Completely aside from the fact that they're making grand sweeping statements based on the US alone, which has always been Apple's strongest market, the scant 'evidence' they present doesn't actually seem to back up their claim.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »

Completely aside from the fact that they're making grand sweeping statements based on the US alone, which has always been Apple's strongest market, the scant 'evidence' they present doesn't actually seem to back up their claim.

Indeed; they have no actual figures of the actual ratio of 5S:5C:4S sales, so everything is pure conjecture. And if they could be bothered to think of the worldwide market ...

But why do that when they can be selective/creative with their figures and have a wonderfully attention grabbing article?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well they're bound to say that aren't they .
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm seeing quite a few 5c's now. Blue seems to be most popular. I haven't seen a yellow one yet.
  • Options
    Snow MartianSnow Martian Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Apple need to start bribing big tech websites and bloggers like a certain "other" company does.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    Red rag to a bull. I sit back and await your comments with amusement.

:confused: no idea!! - sold that HTC One yet ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biggest thing that jumped out at me was the fact they termed it a mid-tier phone ! Really !?!?
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just proves you should never under estimate the power of marketing on the gullible.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »

Yeah, I wonder what the figures would have been like if they'd done it somewhere like Spain.

When I was in Barcelona for Mobile World Congress, nearly everyone I saw on the metro had an Android phone. What's more, chances are it was a Sony (and an older, cheaper, model too).

I thought it was just me, but when I spoke to someone at MWC I discovered that in Spain, Apple really isn't doing that well. I wasn't told exactly why (is it widely available on all networks, did Tim Cook say something offensive to them?) but apparently in terms of marketshare it's something like 90% Android to 10% Apple (not literally that, but clearly much worse than elsewhere).

It would therefore be better to see the global figures.

Also, working with numbers is always fun for finding interesting stats - but if you added all those flagship sales together, it would then beat the 5c.

If you counted all Android phones in general...

If you had less flagship Android phones on sale in the first place, so there was less choice to 'split the vote'...

Ultimately, you can come up with any stats you want by playing around with data and cherry picking.

Finally, who cares? The 5c is a good phone. However, I'd have preferred it to be the same 5s spec and simply an alternative design.

If the next iPhone has a bigger screen, the 5c could get a spec upgrade and then actually be the phone to sell to those who will think a 5.5 or 6inch screen is too big. Apple then gives people some genuine choice, and the 5c won't be the 'cheap' model that shows the owner couldn't afford the 'real' iPhone, it will be a statement that the owner didn't want or need a huge screen.

Or you could just say to those who comment on why you don't have the flagship Apple product to **** off!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apple need to start bribing big tech websites and bloggers like a certain "other" company does.

All companies 'bribe' people with invites to lavish events (not just launches, but other things like private parties, gigs etc) and I guess it evens out. Plus the majority of journalists are a cynical bunch and won't go giving a 5 star review because they got given a phone. And that goes for every industry, from fashion to film to music to companies making cardboard boxes or washers (probably!).

In the USA, few people are allowed to receive free goods and if they are, they must declare it. The Verge is one such example. In the UK, Which? can't accept gifts with a value of more than £25 or so. One day I expect the same will be true here, but will some sites be able to review all the latest phones, tablets, PCs, TVs and so on if they have to buy them like ordinary consumers?

To be honest, I'd say it's the smaller blogs that are more likely to go giving 5 star reviews because they got a phone. As we know, at least one manufacturer loves to give out phones on two-week loans to just about anyone, and the reviews are nearly always positive (I guess people fear that a bad review means never getting anything in the future).

At least the 'proper' press can still give a bad review, and often do, and know that the manufacturer won't cut them off as it would be self defeating.

In other words, some sites need to be treated with more caution than others.

But, oh wait, there IS one company that will potentially blacklist you if you say anything bad. And if you got your site blacklisted, I bet the publishing director would have a few things to say. No more review kit (including long-term loans that mean you never give the product back) and no more attending the lavish keynotes.

Suffice to say, that company has more control over the tech press than any other because it's very much a need to stay as a member of a very exclusive club.

Question is; which company am I talking about? And which company is now trying to emulate the company I've mentioned by doing much the same??!
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »

I often wonder why people have such trouble accepting figures posted on sites about Apple, as though those figures are somehow inaccurate or false in some way.
  • Options
    PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    I often wonder why people have such trouble accepting figures posted on sites about Apple, as though those figures are somehow inaccurate or false in some way.

Can you show me where Apple have announced these figures?

Can you show me the same figures from a non Apple based fansite?
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »

Well the figures might be accurate if you ignore the whole world outside the USA. You could as easily pick another market and say an Android phone outsold the iPhone.

As they say there's lies, damned lies and statistics.
  • Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Yeah, I wonder what the figures would have been like if they'd done it somewhere like Spain.

When I was in Barcelona for Mobile World Congress, nearly everyone I saw on the metro had an Android phone. What's more, chances are it was a Sony (and an older, cheaper, model too).

I thought it was just me, but when I spoke to someone at MWC I discovered that in Spain, Apple really isn't doing that well. I wasn't told exactly why (is it widely available on all networks, did Tim Cook say something offensive to them?) but apparently in terms of marketshare it's something like 90% Android to 10% Apple (not literally that, but clearly much worse than elsewhere).

It would therefore be better to see the global figures.

Also, working with numbers is always fun for finding interesting stats - but if you added all those flagship sales together, it would then beat the 5c.

If you counted all Android phones in general...

If you had less flagship Android phones on sale in the first place, so there was less choice to 'split the vote'...

Ultimately, you can come up with any stats you want by playing around with data and cherry picking.

Finally, who cares? The 5c is a good phone. However, I'd have preferred it to be the same 5s spec and simply an alternative design.

If the next iPhone has a bigger screen, the 5c could get a spec upgrade and then actually be the phone to sell to those who will think a 5.5 or 6inch screen is too big. Apple then gives people some genuine choice, and the 5c won't be the 'cheap' model that shows the owner couldn't afford the 'real' iPhone, it will be a statement that the owner didn't want or need a huge screen.

Or you could just say to those who comment on why you don't have the flagship Apple product to **** off!

Isn't the fact that there are fewer iPhones and latest Android phones in peoples hands in Spain down to the fact that Spain still has one of the biggest unemployment figures in Europe. They are not as poor as Greece, but they are not exactly steady either.

That's probably why many people there are using "old Sony Android" phones rather than the latest. And iPhones are a premium priced product anyways, so that answers that I suppose.
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »

Spain's economy is down the drain. People have very little money, so an expensive device like the iPhone isn't going to be the first choice.

Worth pointing out that the OP's feature only relates to the US market. Bet those numbers don't apply everywhere else?
  • Options
    huwdwhuwdw Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wait so, they are saying to 5C outsold all those other phones but they don't actually know how many 5C's were sold so they are just guessing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spain's economy is down the drain. People have very little money, so an expensive device like the iPhone isn't going to be the first choice.

Worth pointing out that the OP's feature only relates to the US market. Bet those numbers don't apply everywhere else?

Exactly why the data is suspect. I mean, Sony could perhaps claim that the Xperia P (which I saw a lot of) outsells all iPhone models, Galaxy S4 and other flagships.

Might be true, but it doesn't mean much.

Of course, if retailers are stuck with stock then there may well be special offers to try and shift stock and that can obviously mean a boost in sales. Simple business - nobody wants to have loads of them in a warehouse/store room.