Options

Dimensions in Time

donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just watched this today,after hearing for years how awful it was I was pleasantly surprised.
Sure there's no real plot and I could do without Noel Edmunds intro,but as a throwaway episode it's quite a good laugh.
Very interesting to see how differently people had aged as well,Tom looked a bit decrepit and I didn't recognise Sarah Sutton,but Pertwee still looked fantastic,tall strong athletic and every inch still the Doctor,a shock to think he would be gone a few years later.
Anyhow for a bit of old nostalgia it was a worthwhile "waste of time"

Comments

• Options
    trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoy it for what it is. And I have several reasons for considering it as part of continuity:

1. It means that 6 and the Brigadier have had a televised adventure.

2. It looks like Romana is interrupted whilst going for a pee in the Mitchell brothers' garage.
    2b. I like the thought of Romana having had a conversation with the Mitchell brothers.

3. Saying that you count "Dimensions In Time" really annoys the type of fan who takes Doctor Who far too seriously.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trollface wrote: »
    I enjoy it for what it is. And I have several reasons for considering it as part of continuity:

You can download The Spectre of Lanyon Moor for three quid from Big Finish dotcom, and it's really good. And it's fun to imagine the visuals. Better than trying to justify DiT.

The Richard Marson JN-T book says there was zero interest from management in Who at the time, DiT was simply an experiment into the demand for and feasibly of 3D programming.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    You can download The Spectre of Lanyon Moor for three quid from Big Finish dotcom, and it's really good. And it's fun to imagine the visuals. Better than trying to justify DiT.

The Richard Marson JN-T book says there was zero interest from management in Who at the time, DiT was simply an experiment into the demand for and feasibly of 3D programming.

There was supposed to be a book about John Nathan-Turner out last year, but every attempt to try and get it, failed. Every time I went to amazon.co.uk, they said that the book was out of stock. Now they say that they don't know if they are going to get it. :(

What I don't get, is, if the publisher has had problems getting the book out there, then how comes a lot of people say that they've got it? :confused:

Just don't get it. I'm confused. :confused::confused:

Edit - I had the same problem trying to get the book on Patrick Troughton, written by one of his sons, Michael. Now you cannot get that book for love nor money. There seems to be a problem with the publisher. Tut! Tut! :o:(
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    There was supposed to be a book about John Nathan-Turner out last year, but every attempt to try and get it, failed. Every time I went to amazon.co.uk, they said that the book was out of stock. Now they say that they don't know if they are going to get it. :(

What I don't get, is, if the publisher has had problems getting the book out there, then how comes a lot of people say that they've got it? :confused:

Just don't get it. I'm confused. :confused::confused:

Edit - I had the same problem trying to get the book on Patrick Troughton, written by one of his sons, Michael. Now you cannot get that book for love nor money. There seems to be a problem with the publisher. Tut! Tut! :o:(

The Troughton book is being reissued soon and will be available on amazon when it is according to a post on 21st August on Michael Troughton's facebook.

I got the JNT book from the publisher, Miwk- http://www.miwkpublishing.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=63&product_id=50
  • Options
    Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since Eastenders is a show in Doctor Who, you'd have to think it was either a parallel universe or maybe the inside of the Rani's TARDIS creating a virtual hologram. Maybe she's a fan of the show.

But I agree with Trollface. It's fun for what it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    You can download The Spectre of Lanyon Moor for three quid from Big Finish dotcom, and it's really good.

I could, but then I'd have 2 copies, which seems a little pointless.
    Better than trying to justify DiT.

I don't see that it has to be either/or.

That's pretty much true from Davison onwards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since Eastenders is a show in Doctor Who, you'd have to think it was either a parallel universe or maybe the inside of the Rani's TARDIS creating a virtual hologram. Maybe she's a fan of the show.

There's a short story in which 7 refers to it as a nightmare he's just had...
  • Options
    Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a short story in which 7 refers to it as a nightmare he's just had...
    Really? Which short story was that?
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dimensions in Time is a hoot! I love the aged Pauline and Kathy, Debbie Watling's "who was that terrible woman?!", Bonnie with a proper spring in her step, Sylvester's "it'll over-leeeeud" line, Leela's weird costume ... it's great fun.

The JNT book is still available. It's jawdropping. Proper, page-turning, muck-raking scandal. "Juicy" aint the word.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

2. It looks like Romana is interrupted whilst going for a pee in the Mitchell brothers' garage.
    2b. I like the thought of Romana having had a conversation with the Mitchell brothers.

3. Saying that you count "Dimensions In Time" really annoys the type of fan who takes Doctor Who far too seriously.

It's rubbish really, and DiT knows that it's rubbish too, but it simply doesn't care and as such it's quite a laugh. Which is exactly what it's meant to be.
    I don't count it as 'proper' Doctor Who, but after reading your third reason, above, I may well start!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? Which short story was that?

Tell a lie, it wasn't a short story, it was in the novel First Frontier. "I once had [a nightmare] where all my old foes chased me round a soap opera."
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It works rather well as a dream.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gosh. This might be the first time in the history of the interweb that DiT doesn't get kicked to death.
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh. This might be the first time in the history of the interweb that DiT doesn't get kicked to death.

Probably seems quite a simple plot now after Series 5 and 6 of New Who!