The White Queen discussion thread

Comments

• the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am just about to start reading Mantel's Bring up the Bodies. At the beginning are a couple of family trees: one of the Tudors (mentions how Henry VII derived his claim to the throne from Margaret Beaufort) and the other about Henry VIII's rivals from the House of York - it seems that a few of George Duke of Clarence's and Edward IV's nieces/grandchildren etc are going to be in it.

This all makes so much more sense to me now that I've watched this show and done some research on the Wars in between reading Wolf Hall and this sequel. It just seemed to work out that way - good timing though! :)
  • lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talma wrote: »
    I think it was just a point that some people who knew all the main players survived and lived on quite a way into the new era.

By the way can you explain why you said the Princes Edward and Richard died at 13 and 11 when no-one knows when they died?

Ok ignore Edward and Richard.
    I do still think they both didn't live to see 20 though
  • lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PG and her evil pen are on ITV at the moment;)
  • Mr_EnderMr_Ender Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Gety! Loving the white queen. Suprisingly, Margaret Beaufort is quickly becoming a firm favourite of mine!! After Awesome Jacquetta, Maggie has grown on me after marrying her new Hubble. Love how they walk around plotting and scheming! Oh and the "DONT TOUCH MY BIBLE" scene was absolutely Hilarious!!!
  • maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The penultimate episode tonight, enjoyed this series!
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can watch the first episode of the US cut for free on the Starz website (VPN needed).

Don't know why the BBC cut the nudity.

http://www.starz.com/thewhitequeen/videos#/watch-the-premiere-episode-of-the-white-queen-for-free
  • maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really hoping another series will happen, not 'the white queen' obviously but a continuation. There's still Elizabeth of York to explore (and Philippa Gregory's next book is about Margaret Pole).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    You can watch the first episode of the US cut for free on the Starz website (VPN needed).

Don't know why the BBC cut the nudity.

http://www.starz.com/thewhitequeen/videos#/watch-the-premiere-episode-of-the-white-queen-for-free

I thought there were already enough sex scenes in the BBC version and that it's already too chick lit-like - don't really need to see 'anymore' of any of the characters to be honest. :p I don't miss scenes such as those apparently in the US version. I was actually glad when Edward finally popped his clogs so we didn't have to see anymore of him and Elizabeth all over each other and saying soppy things to each other. My interest lies much more in the political discussions and scheming.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't say what it is but I have read a sentence in a preview of tonight's ep which makes me think this thread's going to crash from indignation later. :eek: :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    I won't say what it is but I have read a sentence in a preview of tonight's ep which makes me think this thread's going to crash from indignation later. :eek: :D

I was intrigued....so I'v had a quick peek myself...I think I know which comment you are referring to!!
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know as well, I read the preview....not looking forward to that particular part. But we'll see, maybe it wont be so bad.
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok where's the preview? :)
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

Indeed. It sounds utterly absurd and ridiculous!
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    neelia wrote: »

This is the one I read:

http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/80242585.html

:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    I remember reading at some point that Henry was considering finding a way to make his illegitimate son heir, the Duke of Richmond. So, I wonder how that would have worked out if he never had a legitimate son and Richmond hadn't died young. We know the lengths he went to to get rid of Catherine to marry Anne Boleyn.

As Henry grew old and his health complicated, he became very dangerous. He executed the Duke of Buckingham as early as 1521 for having too much Plantagenet blood in his veins. If we believe Tudor written history, Edward Stafford, was in conspiracy against him, but that begins the bloodlust of Henry VIII.

I bring that up because Henry VIII would have never been satisfied with one son. His own brother dying before him was reason enough. Even in Henry VIII's reign, the Tudors sat a shaky throne. The Duke of Richmond was a bastard child. I doubt that England would have stood for that. There would have been rebellions. Henry was sharp enough to see that. Even when he executed his wives, he was careful to mold public opinion in his favor.... example, Anne Boleyn committing incest with her brother....another unproven accusation.

I doubt it would have changed things. Disease had polluted Henry VII by the 1530s.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    lola_skye wrote: »
    Ok ignore Edward and Richard.
    I do still think they both didn't live to see 20 though

There is good reason to think Richard may have lived and escaped to Flanders. It is possible that he made a bid for the throne in Perkin Warbeck in the 1490s. The Tudors wrote the history and it would have been their interest in making Richard look like a full imposter. We do know that Henry VII was quick to execute him and his supposed aunt, Margaret of Burgundy, who supported the claim.

The Tudors, like all dynasties, are liars as not to have their family tarnished. Never forget, Henry VII was a very clever and ruthless man.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lola_skye wrote: »
    PG and her evil pen are on ITV at the moment;)

Her awfulness shines like a beacon, utterly contemptible excuse for a writer, this thread has pointed me to far better books on the subject, PG is such a poor excuse for a writer
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. It sounds utterly absurd and ridiculous!

That's a understatement, its a WTF turning point in the production, meltdown will ensure tonight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neelia wrote: »

I read one that came with our newspaper. I hadn't read the one posted here before but that's much more detailed and even more bizarre than the bit I read!
  • Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a understatement, its a WTF turning point in the production, meltdown will ensure tonight.

Ok now am intrigued what you going on about can you place it in a spoiler please.
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok now am intrigued what you going on about can you place it in a spoiler please.

Now, there are a few parts in tonight's episode that are sure to elicit a WTF reaction.
    Fearful of enemies, the new King Richard III honours those who he feels are loyal to him: Brackenbury, Buckingham and Stanley. Still not convinced that Elizabeth’s threat has gone away, Anne secretly talks to Brackenbury behind her husband’s back, wishing the Princes in the Tower dead.

When Elizabeth hears a rumour that her boys in the tower are dead Elizabeth realises her daughter was right, and that Margaret, with her kinsman Buckingham, had most reason to kill them. She and Princess Lizzie use magic to flood the country, and scotch Margaret’s uprising and her son, Henry Tudor’s, invasion.

Having worked out who his real enemies are, he visits Elizabeth and expresses that he has feelings for her daughter (as in, his neice, ew), Princess Elizabeth. The Princess, still betrothed to Henry Tudor, complains to her mother that she doesn’t want to be forced into marriage for political ends.

BIB is my particular fav.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    Now, there are a few parts in tonight's episode that are sure to elicit a WTF reaction.
    Fearful of enemies, the new King Richard III honours those who he feels are loyal to him: Brackenbury, Buckingham and Stanley. Still not convinced that Elizabeth’s threat has gone away, Anne secretly talks to Brackenbury behind her husband’s back, wishing the Princes in the Tower dead.

When Elizabeth hears a rumour that her boys in the tower are dead Elizabeth realises her daughter was right, and that Margaret, with her kinsman Buckingham, had most reason to kill them. She and Princess Lizzie use magic to flood the country, and scotch Margaret’s uprising and her son, Henry Tudor’s, invasion.

Having worked out who his real enemies are, he visits Elizabeth and expresses that he has feelings for her daughter, Princess Elizabeth. The Princess, still betrothed to Henry Tudor, complains to her mother that she doesn’t want to be forced into marriage for political ends.

BIB is my particular fav.

Wow ok wtf am even more intrigued to see this play out now thanks for that.
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the one I read:

http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/80242585.html

:rolleyes:
    thanks

what larks! :D
    ivyteainn wrote: »
    There is good reason to think Richard may have lived and escaped to Flanders. It is possible that he made a bid for the throne in Perkin Warbeck in the 1490s. The Tudors wrote the history and it would have been their interest in making Richard look like a full imposter. We do know that Henry VII was quick to execute him and his supposed aunt, Margaret of Burgundy, who supported the claim.

The Tudors, like all dynasties, are liars as not to have their family tarnished. Never forget, Henry VII was a very clever and ruthless man.
    How did he get hold of her?
    I read one that came with our newspaper. I hadn't read the one posted here before but that's much more detailed and even more bizarre than the bit I read!
    All part of the fun.

This series is soooooo much better for having this thread to pull it apart :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Show time.
  • mrs.flowersmrs.flowers Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Cheapest looking crown ever