Options

Great Aunt or Grand Aunt?

TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
Forum Member
✭✭
There's a debate going on in my family at the moment. My grandmother's sister will have a huge birthday/family party this year because she's a huge fan of the numbers 9 and 5.

She was born on 9th September 1919 at 5AM and she'll be 95 this September. Her children have asked each of four generations from each branch of the family to contribute a small cake with an inscription.

The problem is that in my generation, we cousins can't agree on which term to use in a cake inscription: 'Great Aunt' or 'Grand Aunt'.

Some cousins and I support 'Great Aunt', but a bigger number of cousins and my siblings support 'Grand Aunt'. They argue that if she's a sibling of a grandparent, she's a grand aunt. If she were an aunt of the grandparent, she'd be a great-aunt.

While that does make sense, it's just too pedantic. We think 'Great Aunt' is a lot more common and that we should go with it. They reminded us that she's a retired copy editor. True. We've searched the net, but couldn't find the answer.

Can anyone offer a definitive answer? Opinions welcome, too. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Until I read this post I had never heard the term grand aunt, so i would go with great aunt.
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A grand aunt and great aunt are one and the same thing. Grand Aunt is just an old fashioned way of saying Great Aunt

I would go with whatever the 95 year old is most likely to be familiar with
  • Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard of grand aunt before.:confused:
  • Options
    Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've also never heard of grand aunt, I class my gran's sister as my great aunt.
  • Options
    hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    I would also call my grandmothers sister a great aunt.

Why not just say aunt? Surely she's not a great aunt to everyone in your branch of the fam?
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I called my grandmother's sisters Great Aunt too (seems to be a popular title in the thread).

However, I'd also just go with Aunt in the cake inscription (or Aunt or Aunty, or Auntie - whichever you usually call her, use that appellation). Depending on what her name is, you could explain it by saying there are nine letters in total, or four and five making nine, etc etc. Should keep her happy if she likes nine. :D
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This 4 minute video explains everything you could want to know re grand/great, 1st/2nd/3rd cousin, what 'removed' means etc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM79Epw_cp8
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does the Lady in question prefer?

I'm a great Auntie but all the people I'm an Auntie to just call me Auntie B or my name. I'm closer in age to most of my nieces and nephews than I am to my siblings.

When I think on it - my nieces and nephews just call me by my name but I'm Auntie to their kids.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a great Aunt to my sisters grandchildren and great grandchild.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Never ever heard the term Grand Aunt.
  • Options
    GabbitasGabbitas Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    I've never heard of 'grand aunt' either. That should be the correct form to be consistent with the 'mother, grandmother, great grandmother' progression, but it's just another case of the inconsistencies in the English language :)
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great-aunt. The correct spelling of the alternative is (according to Collins online dictionary) "grandaunt", which just looks wrong.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you all from us. We're going with 'Aunt [name]'.

When we talk about her, some of us refer her as Great Aunt and the rest opt for Grand Aunt. However, until your replies, we forgot that when we talk to her directly, we usually address her as 'Aunt [name]'.

Happy solution! Thanks for triggering that reminder. We still feel a bit stupid for forgetting something so simple. :D

Hypnodisc, thanks for the video. It's still a surprise to see that the correct term is Grand Aunt. Who knew?
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm more baffled about how you are going to inscribe a cake...
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I've always thought of myself as my sisters grandsons 'great aunt', since they are my great nephews, not that they refer to me as such, they just call me by my name.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    Until I read this post I had never heard the term grand aunt, so i would go with great aunt.

Same here.
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    This 4 minute video explains everything you could want to know re grand/great, 1st/2nd/3rd cousin, what 'removed' means etc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM79Epw_cp8

I think those are American terms though?
    I'd never heard the term "Grand Aunt" before today.

Although I suppose it makes sense if you are going further back?
    Great Grand Aunt is probably better than Great Great Aunt?