Yazoo - Only You
    Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes or I'll Be Where The Heart Is
    Dr Hook - Sharing The Night Together
    Roxette - It Must Have Been Love
    Bryan Ferry - Slave To Love
    Toto - Africa
    Tiffany - I Think We're Alone Now
    Trans-X - Living On Video

Thank you, but I wasn't asking for song suggestions.

My son is at that age where everything we parents say and do is an embarrassment and that all our opinions and rules are wrong. We're his number-one enemy at the moment, which makes his request for a mix tape a pleasant surprise. It's very likely he won't ask again so I'm making most of this request.

The problem? I like more than 16 tracks. I was wondering how would the others make their selection for an one-off mix tape if they were in my shoes. Hence, this thread.

Responses from DavetheSensible, Hannah Martin and the others offer some good ideas, which I'll try tonight. :D Thanks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    How much was the USB mixing deck?

Forty quid from Maplin but you only get the light edition software for it....
    Its better than [aying over a h.undred quid for a big ****er that won't fit on the desk and comes with complicated software. But you can do scratching with it
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I'd use the auto-playlist set up on my computer of all my 5★ rated tracks. By sorting that in order of year, I could easily make a varied selection of one track from each year of his life like so:

1998: Every You, Every Me - Placebo
    1999: Xpander - Sasha
    2000: I'll Never Stop - 'N Sync
    2001: In The End - Linkin Park
    2002: Always Your Way - My Vitriol
    2003: Bring Me To Life - Evanescence
    2004: Lose My Breath - Destiny's Child
    2005: Cool - Gwen Stefani
    2006: Starlight - Muse
    2007: M4 (Part II) - Faunts
    2008: Geraldine - Glasvegas
    2009: Sweet Disposition - The Temper Trap
    2010: The Space In Between - How To Destroy Angels
    2011: A Real Hero - College (feat Electric Youth)
    2012: Sovereign Light Cafe - Keane
    2013: Strong Hand - Chvrches

I'd probably mix up the order a bit.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Thank you, but I wasn't asking for song suggestions.

My son is at that age where everything we parents say and do is an embarrassment and that all our opinions and rules are wrong. We're his number-one enemy at the moment, which makes his request for a mix tape a pleasant surprise. It's very likely he won't ask again so I'm making most of this request.

The problem? I like more than 16 tracks. I was wondering how would the others make their selection for an one-off mix tape if they were in my shoes. Hence, this thread.

Responses from DavetheSensible, Hannah Martin and the others offer some good ideas, which I'll try tonight. :D Thanks.
    It used to be that a mixed tape was to give to a girl you liked, is he just being lazy and asking you to put one together for him to pass on to a young lady? ;) If so, make it really, really cheesy :D

ETA: In answer to your question though, if I were making a mix for myself, I'd choose favourite songs that I never get tired of hearing.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    motsy wrote: »
    Forty quid from Maplin but you only get the light edition software for it....
    Its better than [aying over a h.undred quid for a big ****er that won't fit on the desk and comes with complicated software. But you can do scratching with it

Sounds good. That Mixxx software has potential I think, but I haven't got a clue really about how to mix, not even a cut mix, let alone merging two tracks.
  • Options
    dont_be_hastydont_be_hasty Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    Here are some idea's of devices to put the songs on.

Personalised Mixed Tape Mp3 Player
    https://www.notonthehighstreet.com/mixpixie/product/personalised-mp3-player?kpid=260649&gclid=CNL5rumbm8ICFYJaMgodrxgAig

USB Mix Tape
    http://www.prezzybox.com/usb-mix-tape-by-suck-uk.aspx

Both are modern but keep in theme with the cassette mixed tape idea. He can even add more music to them if needed or move the music of them and onto another device.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    It used to be that a mixed tape was to give to a girl you liked, is he just being lazy and asking you to put one together for him to pass on to a young lady? ;) If so, make it really, really cheesy :D

ETA: In answer to your question though, if I were making a mix for myself, I'd choose favourite songs that I never get tired of hearing.

Oh, no. Friends and I used to swap mix tapes, so it's not just a 'I like you a lot, but I'm too shy/awkward/cowardly to say it so here's a mix tape' thing.

Frankly, son would sooner disown me than allow me within one mile of the girl he likes, let alone having anything to do with her. I think that's due to when I met the other girl he liked last year. I asked if she had a signed permission slip from her parents to allow her date son. I was just kidding, though. No sense of humour, that lad.
    Arcana wrote: »
    I'd use the auto-playlist set up on my computer of all my 5★ rated tracks. By sorting that in order of year, I could easily make a varied selection of one track from each year of his life like so:

[snipped for space]

I'd probably mix up the order a bit.

Nice idea. I wish I had seen that before I finished my list last night. I decided in the end to go for the 1980s, along with some tracks from the films of that era, to show son what I grew up with.

This decision made the selection surprisingly easy. The first on the list is 'Pass the Dutchie' by Musical Youth. Last on the list is 'Mad About the Boy' by Dinah Washington, used in a TV advert for Levi jeans at the time.

motsy, jra, dont_be_hasty - thank you. I wish you hadn't introduced me to those sites, though. My cards will be abused in a bit. :cry::D
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he likes the Guardians soundtrack I would suggest some good early 80's/late 70's music for it.
    Some suggestions:

Good Times - INXS
    Under Pressure - Queen/David Bowie
    I Wish - Stevie Wonder
    Hammertime - MC Hammer
    Play That Funky Music - Wild Cherry
    Say Say Say - Jackson/McCartney
    Never Gonna Give you Up - Rick Astley

Hmm How about making a list of songs that make up the initials of his first and last name? So for instance if he is called Jack you could start with a song like Jailhouse Rock, then follow in order with A Rush of Blood to the Head, Carry on My Wayward Son and Killer Queen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *looks all excitable*

I did this for my kids on each 21st birthday. It was so emotional.
    I started with their earliest best songs, the ones the danced to when they first stood up in nappies lol *goes Mummish and wells up*
    Then on,to the first songs that they told me about and loved on the radio.
    Then go on to the junior disco years and senior years.
    It really is a very emotional thing to do. I still have all my kids mix tapes.on my pooter and get very wet eyed listening to them even now.

I'm jealous I wish I could do mix tapes.on again. I have to wait for grand children lol
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved making mix tapes for people, but I remember how frustrating it was when the tape would run out about 20 seconds before the end of a song. I would always rearrange the tracklisting and start again. It was a lot more fun than just transferring lots of songs to a USB stick or burning tracks to a CD. I even enjoyed writing the tracklisting on the cassette insert and the name of the mix on the long stickers than you had to stick on either side of the cassette.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is the OP making such a Bette Davis drama out of a simple request ?

Put your 16 favourite EVER songs on a playable device. Simples
    Everyone has loads more than 16, but that's the fun ,

Mmmmm , should I ditch American Pie or More Than A Feeling ? [ sucks teeth ]
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Why is the OP making such a Bette Davis drama out of a simple request ?

:D I suppose because I lack confidence.

My husband will be the first to admit he can be a bit of a **** when comes to music. This is the guy who actually dumped his girlfriend for liking a song he deeply detested when they were teenagers. The same guy who told me the moment he knew he was in love was when he "didn't mind" me liking a singer whom he nicknamed 'walking abortion'. He even once suggested we should stay in Headley, Hampshire, for our honeymoon. Apparently Led Zeppelin and The Pretty Things recorded their albums in that village. He's that geeky.

Although he's good at biting his tongue these days (the last time he tried to explain why one song I enjoyed was crap, I threatened divorce), my confidence is largely gone. Not his fault, really, as I allowed it to happen.

However, doing up a list last night reminded me how much I used to enjoy it. I'm going to create a playlist of my own this weekend. I'll just ignore him if he does weep in despair over my choices. :D Long-winded, but there you go.
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Make him a mix tape of music that was mainstream when you were young, say 16-21. Make sure you make a decent selection, though I don't know how old are you, but if you were young in the 70's and 80's, anything you choose from that period can't be wrong in my opinion.