Options

BBC Two Talking Comedy

Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
Forum Member
Spinoff of Talking Pictures I'm guessing as that is now on it's second series.
Bob Hope and Peter Sellers today, 4 parts so far, will probably grow like Talking Pictures did, so someone must be watching it despite the lack of promotion.

Talking Comedy
A look back through the BBC archive at the appearances of popular comedians on a selection of well-loved talk shows, showcasing the magic that happens when conversation and classic comedy collide.

Edit:
Episode guide it's 10 parts and Angela Thorne is on narration duties, what was wrong with Sylvia Sim, I don't know, I liked her work on Talking Pictures.

Comments

• Options
    BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spinoff of Talking Pictures I'm guessing as that is now on it's second series.
    Bob Hope and Peter Sellers today, 4 parts so far, will probably grow like Talking Pictures did, so someone must be watching it despite the lack of promotion.

Talking Comedy
    A look back through the BBC archive at the appearances of popular comedians on a selection of well-loved talk shows, showcasing the magic that happens when conversation and classic comedy collide.

Edit:
    Episode guide it's 10 parts and Angela Thorne is on narration duties, what was wrong with Sylvia Sim, I don't know, I liked her work on Talking Pictures.

Yes its a shame they haven't promoted this...I only caught the last ten minutes of Bob Hope. I agree regarding Sylvia Syms...I enjoyed her input to Talking Pictures.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave both these a chance, but I found them nowhere as good as "Talking Pictures."
    So for me, a disappointment.
    I was never over fond of Bob Hope. I always regarding him as thinking he was funnier than he was, as a stand-up comic. Too many long pauses between the jokes, as if he were constantly looking for a better reaction than he received. Some of the old films he was in weren't bad.

As for Peter Sellers, I liked him in the "Goon Show" on the radio when I was at school. Juvenile humour I guess, not so fond of his films either. I did buy and enjoy his 1959 album "Songs For Swingin' Sellers," as that was really Goon humour." Some of the tracks will be on YouTube.

I've mentioned my admiration of Sylvia Syms on the "Talking Pictures," thread both as an actress and as narrator of that series.

She was a "real looker," in her youth.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.cinemamuseum.org.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Sylvia-Syms-15-brighter-brighter-crop.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.cinemamuseum.org.uk/2012/sylvia-syms/&h=281&w=179&tbnid=lJMb70Nu1PAZ4M:&zoom=1&tbnh=186&tbnw=118&usg=__pqCIr8J8NQ34em4XYg9_0aoR2-A=&docid=zIT4QbaMVnzVNM&itg=1
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was never over fond of Bob Hope. I always regarding him as thinking he was funnier than he was, as a stand-up comic. Too many long pauses between the jokes, as if he were constantly looking for a better reaction than he received. Some of the old films he was in weren't bad.

The Road movies and the Paleface ones are great examples of breaking the fourth wall and nobody did it better than Hope. They hold up remarkably well today.

I don't know why I bother buying Radio Times - Neither of these were listed today.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    The Road movies and the Paleface ones are great examples of breaking the fourth wall and nobody did it better than Hope. They hold up remarkably well today.

I don't know why I bother buying Radio Times - Neither of these were listed today.

Bob Hope is/was a bit hit n miss for me, in this program he was better on the bits where he 'appeared' to be ad-libbing or at least pulling jokes from memory rather than off idiot boards.
    Sellers, corpsing was the funniest thing about both programs.
    Haven't kept either recording, unlike Talking Pictures, I've still got all of those.

They said the programs where a change from advertised, replaced Grace Brothers.
    Two more episodes of this on Monday, Two Ronnies and Les Dawson IIRC.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »

Yes "Paleface" and "The Road Movies" were good and I find them quite nostalgic, the inclusion of Dorothy Lamour was a bonus. There were seven "Road" films and Lamour was in all of them. The inclusion of cameo appearances by other stars and clips of famous actors in well know films, increased the comic element..
    it's surprising that the first three films were made when there was a World War going on.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Hope made some tremendous films.........I loved them on telly when I was a kid

Apart from the ones already mentioned how about 'My Favourite Brunette;......the one where he plays a Baby Photographer who gets caught up in a parody of Chandler-esque noir detective stories......:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Damn! Missed these completely today >:( I know they're on iplayer but I like to tape this kind of stuff, particularly annoyed at missing the Sellers one. I'm sure they'll be on again though...