Options

Thunderbirds Are Go! ITV Saturday 4th April

Comments

• Options
    taskertasker Posts: 4,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing that has p****d me off the most is that ITV went to the trouble of putting out a making off, bragging about the HD quality picture and the amazing sound.
    They showed it not in 5.1 but stereo and now it will be shoved onto the kids channel not even in HD.

What do you have against DD or 5.1 ITV??? you very very very rarely if ever have anything in DD on yhe HD channels apart from a showing of Star Wars a couple of years ago.
    Start showing what HD t is capable of and stop living in the mono ages.
  • Options
    TimA-CTimA-C Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Nice too see Greg Wallace getting work outside of Masterchef.
    Yeah, but he's still just as evil in TBAG as he is in MC!

Ben Foster, you had one of the best TV theme tunes EVER to play with, and what did you and your apparently idiot brother do with it? I guess that confirms that all the decent music in Doctor Who and Scott & Bailey is ALL down to Murray Gold.

Weta, you produced some truly stunning CG in the LOTR and Hobbit films etc., WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED HERE? I suspect my old 48k Spectrum could've produced similar quality CG for the "characters" in this sad apology for a TV show. Let me guess, the CG budget for the show was £20 and was produced on an iPad? I'm right, aren't I?

I thought this show was supposed to have been made by people who were fans of the original series? I realise now that they must have been fans of the cr&ppy Thunderbirds 2086 cartoon series, NOT the original Gerry Anderson series with the Puppets! What-a-mistake-a-to-make! Gerry Anderson must be doing a pretty good imitation of The Mole right about now.

Well done ITV, another GOPPINGLY poor show! No wonder this is being consigned to 8am on CITV, I just hope that the kiddywinks are a damn sight more discerning and have more taste than the inadequate Numpties who are responsible for this disappointing mess! One episode in and I'm already rooting for Greg Wal . . .er . . . The Hood! F.A.B.? Not even close!
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's just stupid.

I was stating a fact - TV childrens programmes do not use the same level of CGI as major blockbuster movies, for simple economic reason.

And I can assure you that the fact that the original series looked as good and expensive as it did had nothing to do with the amount of money spent on it. Anderson was under constant pressure from Lew Grade to cut the budgets. However he was under a mandate to make the series as filmic as possible, and used American accents so that the show could be sold the lucrative US market.

In the same manner the new series does the best it can with its available budget and effects, as did the original. Of course no one expects that the new series will attain the same classic status as the original...it does not lay claim to, and as said many times it is a new version for todays kids...so really, people need to lighten up.

You hit the nail on the head, the best comparison IMO is other CG animated series not the original. The changes made like the pace and CG were neccessary not because they hated the puppets and the slow running time but because that is what they need to compete with and the character designs are for the most part good, Lady Penelope and Parker have simply been updated for today's generation same with Kayo and Grandma, I'm sure Gerry Anderson would have made similar changes as well. Don't forget he made Lieutenant Green in new Captain Scarlet female.
  • Options
    MichPlatMichPlat Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karis wrote: »
    OK. It looked good, but it had lost the heart of the show, the essence of what made it so great.

The pacing was horrific, so fast it was almost blurry. It was just too too fast. It needs to add 15 more minutes just to be able to slow things down and focus on one scene for less than 2 seconds.

Didn't like the cast changes.

Overall, though. Pretty good. I liked it, but unless things changed, I wouldn't watch it as it's just a product of the Attention Deficit Disorder generation and I find these things difficult to watch. They can't do kids any good either with all the constant cutting back and forward.

Yep , that just about sums it up for me as well . I quite like the new technology they have and even the up to date 'street' talk . I'm slightly puzzled why their faces and hair are so smooth and plastic- like with no detail and yet the gadgets , the craft and even their clothes and elbow / shin protectors are amazingly detailed . I'm also not sure why Virgil has to literally drop ten foot down into Thunderbird 2 and then push the roof door closed with his hands !?
  • Options
    Duncan_StylesDuncan_Styles Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    You can watch on Freeview in HD on ITV1 on Saturday mornings as it is broadcast on both ITV1 and CITV as part of that God awful Scrambled show. I have it marked for series record.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TimA-C wrote: »

Weta, you produced some truly stunning CG in the LOTR and Hobbit films etc., WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED HERE? I suspect my old 48k Spectrum could've produced similar quality CG for the "characters" in this sad apology for a TV show. Let me guess, the CG budget for the show was £20 and was produced on an iPad? I'm right, aren't I?

Er...well obviously having $200 million to spend on a film is gonna look more impressive than a TV series... Though WETA have done amazing work here IMO, especially with the models and the ship CGI. The characters have a certain look to them that could have done with being more 'animated', though if you consider the originals were puppets... It still works well!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They tried to replicate the texture, colour and sheens of the puppets in the cd models. Hair is probably like it is to reduce the work needed to make sure the hair behaves and to reduce rendering time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can watch on Freeview in HD on ITV1 on Saturday mornings as it is broadcast on both ITV1 and CITV as part of that God awful Scrambled show. I have it marked for series record.

I still don't get why they're not giving it a chance at 5pm or at least 4:30pm for half-an-hour. Maybe it's all down to what kind of commission it is? If it's been commissioned as part of their childrens' programming maybe they have to show it in with their other kids' stuff?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They tried to replicate the texture, colour and sheens of the puppets in the cd models. Hair is probably like it is to reduce the work needed to make sure the hair behaves and to reduce rendering time.

Yeah if they're making 26 episodes a year they just don't have time to do all that work on the character models.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I still don't get why they're not giving it a chance at 5pm or at least 4:30pm for half-an-hour. Maybe it's all down to what kind of commission it is? If it's been commissioned as part of their childrens' programming maybe they have to show it in with their other kids' stuff?

That could be it. I think it would work well on a Saturday night. Despite being more of a kids show that the original I think it could Be great as light family entertainment and would certainly add something different that ITV hasn't had for a long time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Not bad, 7 out of 10 compared to originals.

Nice to hear Parker
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad that people on this thread were critising the show almost as soon as it begun! They wouldn't have been happy whatever was shown.

I thought it was pretty good. Obviously updated, but the format of 50 years ago wouldn't work today (IMO).
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah if they're making 26 episodes a year they just don't have time to do all that work on the character models.

Not to mention it takes longer to produce an episode, the turnaround for the original was 2 weeks per episode with multiple episodes shot at the same time which would unachievable today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Er...well obviously having $200 million to spend on a film is gonna look more impressive than a TV series... Though WETA have done amazing work here IMO, especially with the models and the ship CGI. The characters have a certain look to them that could have done with being more 'animated', though if you consider the originals were puppets... It still works well!
    Granted. BUT, how come the characters' animation was worse than you see in most modern Computer games? Hell, why not use the old Quake graphics engine from the mid-90s Computer games to do the character animation? It probably would have been more realistic and cheaper (unless the CG REALLY was done on an iPad!)

I agree with you that the models and model sets did look good, still shame about the character animation. The one good thing about the way this was made is that it should be fairly easy to replace the Naff animation with some decent CG down the road (when the Intel 80286 based PCs makes it down to WETA in NZ! :) ) If they could get some decent voice actors and a vaguely OK Director to redub the voices and get Murray Gold (or any competent Composer) in to save the music score at the same time, THEN they might have something worth watching!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad that people on this thread were critising the show almost as soon as it begun! They wouldn't have been happy whatever was shown.

I thought it was pretty good. Obviously updated, but the format of 50 years ago wouldn't work today (IMO).

Yeah I find it funny that people are going on about attention-spans and all that, well all I know is I was able to watch the episode without checking/posting on here...xD Okay, maybe they did it in the ad breaks...:kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Must admit I didn't like the theme tune. The original sticks in my head for days when I hear or think about it. While they used part of it in the new version it don't see it getting stuck in the same way.
  • Options
    mediaratmediarat Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    petertard wrote: »
    The new Lady Penelope doesn't have the old puppet's glamour, nor her aura of class.

It's a puppet!
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member

Then don't do it or else all that is saying that we can't be bothered and just wish to churn out a sub-standard product that will do.

How many people would lose their jobs if after a complaint they said "Oh it's all I could be bothered to do".
  • Options
    sianlovescatssianlovescats Posts: 1,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Randysback wrote: »
    Feel sorry for kids today:
    New Thunderbirds = Rubbish
    New Doctor Who = Rubbish
    New Superman = Rubbish
    New Charlie`s Angels = Rubbish
    Mars Bars = Smaller
    TV = Less Boobs

And not forgetting the little cans of coke in Woolworth’s. Holding one in my hand made my little paw look like a giant’s hand!
    On the other hand, i may have just made a tit of myself!
  • Options
    c0boc0bo Posts: 6,468
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then don't do it or else all that is saying that we can't be bothered and just wish to churn out a sub-standard product that will do.

How many people would lose their jobs if after a complaint they said "Oh it's all I could be bothered to do".

This was a million miles away from 'sub-standard'... and 'don't do it'?? Nah. The world is a much better place with this series in it! :)
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Wonder why they renamed TinTin?
    Two reasons. One was to avoid racism - remember, she's related to The Hood. The other was because her name is the same as a certain Belgian comic character. Last thing they need is a lawsuit.
    Must admit I didn't like the theme tune. The original sticks in my head for days when I hear or think about it. While they used part of it in the new version it don't see it getting stuck in the same way.
    What could they do? They kept the opening section, but had they kept the whole tune, it would be too long for the title sequence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What a load of round, hairy dangly objects! I wouldn't expect them to animate each individual hair on all of the characters' heads but, equally, in this day and age what with all the Computing power and animation software available off-the-shelf - let alone what WETA has created and tweaked and has available to them at their Studios - the character CG was pretty embarrassing. And don't forget that this show was billed with having "State of the Art" CG . . . State of the Art? MY BOTTOM!
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. The producers had a hard task in not making it too realistic and preserving some of the original charm. I thought they did a great job.

I don't know whether it was my imagination but some of the movement seemed to be intentionally a little bit clunky which I thought was a great homage to the Thunderbirds of old.

I don't have children myself but I'd be interest to know what they thought of it as it is aimed at them after all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This was a million miles away from 'sub-standard'... and 'don't do it'?? Nah. The world is a much better place with this series in it! :)

Your world must be a VERY cold, damp, miserable, Grey, depressing place if having this series in it makes it better! Please, before doing anything silly (like maybe watching another episode :D ) talk to someone. There are people out there who can help you!