What is RON95?

_ben_ben Posts: 5,758
Forum Member
If your filler cap label says RON95, do you put petrol or diesel in it?

Comments

• Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    RON91 created for petrol engines that are capable of receiving berplumbum, RON95 petrol to unleaded petrol which is also called the premium and RON98 or referred to as Super or Super Plus Premium.

http://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_a_RON_95_and_a_RON_97
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,465
    Forum Member
    I don't think you should be allowed a car.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    RON91 created for petrol engines that are capable of receiving berplumbum, RON95 petrol to unleaded petrol which is also called the premium and RON98 or referred to as Super or Super Plus Premium.

http://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_a_RON_95_and_a_RON_97

What is "berplumbum" and where can I get some?
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member

RON92, what ever that is.
  • L_SilverwolfL_Silverwolf Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the Malay word for unleaded petrol. HTH. :)
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the Malay word for unleaded petrol. HTH. :)
    Hey, I knew that really :cool:
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _ben wrote: »

If your car is still running RON95, you need to contact a main dealer asap and get them to update the software. There's not been any support for RON95 for years now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    If your car is still running RON95, you need to contact a main dealer asap and get them to update the software. There's not been any support for RON95 for years now.

RON95 is standard unleaded.

http://www.petrolprices.com/about-fuel.html
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ohhhhhhhh Kay

Thank's for the clarification.
  • SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    Plumbum is latin for lead so berplumbum must mean no lead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soomacdoo wrote: »
    Plumbum is latin for lead so berplumbum must mean no lead.

It does.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just fill up with standard unleaded petrol. If it were diesel it would say so on the cap.
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member

It is slightly worrying that you don't even know if your car is petrol or diesel! Even if you know NOTHING about cars and the way they work, I'd have thought that this was one thing that you'd have had some knowledge about when you bought it. :confused:
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    It is slightly worrying that you don't even know if your car is petrol or diesel! Even if you know NOTHING about cars and the way they work, I'd have thought that this was one thing that you'd have had some knowledge about when you bought it. :confused:

How do you know its not hired or borrowed.

I had a pool car out from work one time and tried to put in diesel as all the previous pool cars had been diesel and there was no sticker which there usually is. Fortunately the filler cap prevented you using the wrong type of fuel. Moral of the story, if you are not sure then ask before borrowing or hiring a car.
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member

I understood what you meant. ;-)
  • FearFactorFearFactor Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somner wrote: »
    I understood what you meant. ;-)

As did I. It wooshed past everyone else like a ferrarri with a full tank :D
  • Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    How do you know its not hired or borrowed.

I had a pool car out from work one time and tried to put in diesel as all the previous pool cars had been diesel and there was no sticker which there usually is. Fortunately the filler cap prevented you using the wrong type of fuel. Moral of the story, if you are not sure then ask before borrowing or hiring a car.

The point is, the OP could have simply googled instead of asking what is frankly a stupid question.

As a side point, if you're unsure (not saying you are specifically, I'm speaking generally) about which fuel and the car has one, look at the rev counter (or tachometer to use its proper name). On diesel cars this will typically go up to 5, maybe 6 (i.e., in x 1000 RPM), with the redline at about 4k RPM, on petrol models, it will certainly go up past 6 and might even go up to 10 for some models (VTEC type engines) :)
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    The point is, the OP could have simply googled instead of asking what is frankly a stupid question.

I did google RON95, all the results I got were about the octane rating of a whole range of fuels, they didn't give any indication that it only referred to petrol.
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    sadmuppet wrote: »

It's not my car, it's a courtesy car. In the past when I've had a hire car / pool car / courtesy car there has always been a label on the inside of the filler cap cover stating whether it's petrol or diesel. I've never seen a pump with RON95 written on it, so was a bit confused.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not my car, it's a courtesy car. In the past when I've had a hire car / pool car / courtesy car there has always been a label on the inside of the filler cap cover stating whether it's petrol or diesel. I've never seen a pump with RON95 written on it, so was a bit confused.

Petrol pumps used to have the RON number but only have unleaded (RON95) or super unleaded (RON98). You can use either in a petrol car.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its more slightly overripe pumpkin than a plum these days, but feel free... :p
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look for spark plug leads to confirm petrol and not diesel.

Found out from bitter experience when driving a Mazda flatbed when I was 18. (no labels at all on tank)

Then I had to be shown how to get at the engine. That wasn't obvious either.

Also confirm you can get at the filler cap and get it off on an unfamiliar vehicle (perhaps with any new security design). It's embarrassing hanging around forecourts asking other drivers if they know how to do it.
  • Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look for spark plug leads to confirm petrol and not diesel.

Found out from bitter experience when driving a Mazda flatbed when I was 18. (no labels at all on tank)

Then I had to be shown how to get at the engine. That wasn't obvious either.

Also confirm you can get at the filler cap and get it off on an unfamiliar vehicle (perhaps with any new security design). It's embarrassing hanging around forecourts asking other drivers if they know how to do it.

Unfortunately with modern cars it's hard to tell as they use coil packs (so no HT leads on show) and everything is hidden under a large plastic cover.
  • Paul_PPaul_P Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    Jeez, if you can't tell the difference between how a petrol and a diesel, even a modern one sounds, you must be deaf or daft. A lot of modern diesels are quiet inside the car but sound like tractors on idle.

Saying that, years ago customs dipped my uncle's knackered Transit for diesel when it was just a 1600 Pinto engine with knackered big ends and camshaft.:D
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul_P wrote: »
    Jeez, if you can't tell the difference between how a petrol and a diesel, even a modern one sounds, you must be deaf or daft. A lot of modern diesels are quiet inside the car but sound like tractors on idle.

Saying that, years ago customs dipped my uncle's knackered Transit for diesel when it was just a 1600 Pinto engine with knackered big ends and camshaft.:D

The Mazda I was driving was indeed old and knackered and did sound like a diesel.
    I even sniffed the tank and asked the petrol pump cashier, before filling up, if he had any idea.
    (he assured me it was diesel)

I was only 18, it was 5am and I had an important collection to make 200 miles away.

I got about 400 yds down the road.