Options

TAR 17 Episode 4 discussion

boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
Forum Member
Awesome leg this week, Stunning scenery in the artic circle! I was really suprised how many failed on the sled task and the huskies looked so much fun. Glad Nick and Vicky are still in it and not that fussed to see the geeks go.
Some eating next week! (barf smillie)

Comments

• Options
    telly fantelly fan Posts: 2,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best leg so far for me, loved every minute, different flights complete changes of position throughout, having to use the free pass putting them back in the pack, Mallory using her femininity made me lol, the glee team on the sled, the fabulous huskies, the ice hotel :eek:, the scenery, Michael and Kevin :D not too keen on Chad though :(
    kinda sad about the team that are out but it was their time to go and they took it in great spirits :)
    I could go on, absolutely loved it :D:D:D
  • Options
    RedmondRedmond Posts: 19,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great episode. I love that the placings keep changing each episode.

Best season since pre-All Stars.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very enjoyable episode this week, best thing about it was that we actually got some airport drama! Okay it was low level but still!:D

The husky racing looked fun, and the sled task was quite exciting to watch, had my heart in my mouth once or twice!

The scenery was just amazing, makes me really want to go there myself!:)

As for the teams, pleased that Michael and Kevin had a strong leg, my only niggle is that Kevin needs to realise he made a choice to do this race with his dad, and moaning about how he would like to do certain tasks but can't because of his Dad isn't really being fair to Michael. I do like them, especially Michael, but there are moments Kevin seems a little selfish in that regard.

Gary and Mallory cemented their place as my fave team this week, I really love their attitude to the race and towards each other. Brook and Claire remain favorites of mine too.

Chad was a bit of an ass this week again, he seems to be okay when things are looking alright for them but as soon as they hit a stumbling block he can't seem to help being an ass. Fair enough he eventually realised he was being unreasonable, but it took a while to get there.

Jill and Thomas made the right call using their pass, even though as it turns out they could have done the tent and made it back ahead of several teams as it turns out: they had no way of knowing the others were struggling on the other task, and as Jill said, imagine being eliminated without using the pass!

Thank goodness Connor and Jonathan were eliminated, I have to say that last bit to camera makes me suspect they went on the show for the purposes of self promotion more than anything else. And they had become unbearably annoying for me by that point as well.
  • Options
    javjamoll84javjamoll84 Posts: 15,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved this episode xD :D

Glad Jill and Thomas used the Express Pass, was thinking they weren't going to and I bet if it was a singles game and Thomas had it, he wouldn't have! Although yeah was a waste but they had no idea and I would've to. I have no idea how they got sooo far behind in the first place though. Esp coming out of the Ice Hotel?... I suppose the running the the opposite direction didn't help at all, but it felt like they were also pretty behind when arriving at the 'Park Here' sign.

Wasn't too fussed about Jonathan and Connor either. I was annoyed when they started humming and singing at the pit stop so cut off early :o xD

I suppose I don't really have any other 'dislike' teams so the rest of the race I'll end up complaining with whoever gets eliminated. :D

Still liking Claire and Brooke - loved how one finished the course and the other didn't even notice she fell and was stuck in the wire. Nat and Kat and Katie and Rachel.

Suppose the ones I wouldn't be bothered when they leave are the father son team or Chad...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best episode yet!

All my favs came 1st-4th, yay!! Nat and Kat made such a comeback from the last two legs and I would so love them to win or Michael & Kevin! Gary & Mallory and Brook & Claire did awesome too. Hope these four can keep it up. :)

Quite surprised all my favs are still in, because I've had so many! Only Jill & Thomas and Steph & Chad out the ones I've never really supported.

Not to be mean, I'm happy Connor & Jonathan are gone. They just annoyed me with there singing, sorry.
  • Options
    The Face of BoeThe Face of Boe Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fave episode in ages.. Reminds me why I fell in love with TAR all those years ago.Went to Kiruna last summer and its a beautiful part of the world, so was stoked when Phil said they were going there this week. Favourite teams so far are Jill and Thomas and Chad and Steph so glad they both stayed in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Redmond wrote: »
    Best season since pre-All Stars.

Yeah so far this is probably my fave series since series 7 i think. :)
  • Options
    Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying this season, but the teams are all far too nice, I'd like to see a bit more rivalry with the teams.

I feel like the editing is pushing Brooke & Clare forward quite a bit, I imagine that they will be there right till the end and have a good chance of winning. They are not my favourites though, I find them a little bit annoying. My favourite is probably a toss-up between Gary & Mallory, Nat & Kat, or Michael & Kevin.

I had no problems with the team who were elimiated, they seemed like fairly nice guys.:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yobaba** wrote: »
    I'm enjoying this season, but the teams are all far too nice, I'd like to see a bit more rivalry with the teams.

Early days yet though, there was the first hint last week i think with the wheelbarrow thing, and this week we saw some teams forming alliances and actively avoiding sharing info. As it gets down to the wire it always gets more competitive. Many series starts with teams getting on for the most part.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yobaba** wrote: »

I feel like the editing is pushing Brooke & Clare forward quite a bit, I imagine that they will be there right till the end and have a good chance of winning. They are not my favourites though, I find them a little bit annoying. My favourite is probably a toss-up between Gary & Mallory, Nat & Kat, or Michael & Kevin.

I had no problems with the team who were elimiated, they seemed like fairly nice guys.:p

Couldn't agree more. Them three are my main favs too. :)
    I think if there is any sort of rivalry, it'll be involved with Katie & Rachel. I think they called Nat & Kat "stupid doctors" in one episode.
  • Options
    tartan18tartan18 Posts: 2,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This season has been good up to now, more like the early days,but the teams are a bit too nice. I'm sure that'll change.
    Liking Michael and Kevin, Nat and Kat and Chad and Steph.

Like Gary, not too sure about Mallory, a bit loud, but OK.

Tasks were a little better this week, maybe it was the scenery, but the Speed Bump wasn't particularly trying, basically a 10 minute penalty, but I'm glad, as it was Michael and Kevin.

Can't believe none of you have mentioned Nick asking the taxi driver in Ghana to take them to the Arctic Circle. I had to watch it 3 times to make sure. He gets in the back and says, "The Arctic Circle, do you know it ?" Then Vicky says, "No, that's where we're going - we need to go to the airport". Hilarious, but you have to be quick to catch it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone get the feeling Brooke and Claire are like the 2nd gen of Dustin and Kandice? Just they way they come across as easy going and fun. And also the way they do seem like they can get on with the majority of the tasks?
  • Options
    tartan18tartan18 Posts: 2,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they are a bit, but I find them more likeable. Dustin and Kandice got on my nerves a bit, no particular reason.

I suppose you could find 'matches' for quite a few couples from different series. My memory's terrible though, I'd have to sit down with pictures in front of me :D
  • Options
    spoddamsspoddams Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    well, that was a bit more like it, teams felt more likeable (although Mallory is a bit too twee), the "underdogs" did sensible stuff like not to assume they've got the best flights given and find better, and I was actually willing teams to win, as well as willing the Flying Pickets to lose.

Mr Spoddams looks forward to his Monday TAR nights, though he was in the same boat on the "thank god!" when they got Philiminated. Also, thank god they didn't sing to make their cabbie go faster... we were spared too much, or maybe the editors spared us... thank you editors.

At least with just over three hours between the first and last departing, it felt like things were starting to open up a bit. You can tell Kevin Wu has watched the show before... oh and I did smile with Nick's "take us to the Arctic Circle" comment...

Oh and yet again an easy Speed Bump - uncomfortable, but easy...

The blonde doctor looks so much like my NCT midwife it's quite weird.

Good on Nick and Vicky too, I knew they'd clear the snow task quickly, they looked sporty types (of that kind).

Here's hoping it keeps improving...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spoddams wrote: »
    w
    Oh and yet again an easy Speed Bump - uncomfortable, but easy....

yeah in fairness they could do with making the speed bumps a bit harder i think, it's difficult though, i suppose, because i guess there is a fine line between making it a challenge for the team to stay in and making it impossible.
  • Options
    yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed that episode - good to finally see some small airport drama, and it was my 4 favourite teams that ended up on the quick flight, which was fantastic. Very glad Michael and Kevin stayed in, although I agree that the speed bump was a tad easy.

Nice to see everybody really enjoying themselves on the husky ride, as well. And lovely scenery, which just added an extra nice touch to a great episode.
  • Options
    CwejCwej Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was my 4 favourite teams on the first flight too - let's hope they can keep up this kind of stuff! Really happy with the results this week generally, though I think I'd have preferred the 7th or 8th place teams out rather than Jon & Con.

The only thing this season is lacking is a bit of rivalry. I loved some of the bitchy stuff which we saw in Seasons 7, 10, 11 and (I think) 15 (was that the season of Luke and Margi and Kisha and Jen?). I know people are saying 'I'm sure it will come' but at the moment I just can't see it at all!

That was the best episode this series though. Brilliant choices for the detours... and they really seemed to separate the pack. The sled timing seemed to be set just at the right difficulty to make it very hard for the weaker people and passable for the stronger people - but realistic that everyone could do it if they persevered. Loving so many of the dramatic falls from the sleds!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cwej wrote: »
    Loving so many of the dramatic falls from the sleds!

mind you i did have my heart on my mouth a couple of times, i'm not convinced that the course was as a safe as it could/should have been, those barriers were rather flimsy! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    mind you i did have my heart on my mouth a couple of times, i'm not convinced that the course was as a safe as it could/should have been, those barriers were rather flimsy! :eek:

They were indeed.

And saying that I just remembered that one of those sleds drove away down a hill by itself xD
  • Options
    spoddamsspoddams Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    And another thing, I'm the last person to watch and look for clues about who's going to go (though have read the RFF spoilers, but can't remember most of them), but for most of these ones so far, it's been obvious - the minute the Flying Pickets said "it's our graduation day" speech, it was OBVIOUS they were going. I have no idea why, it just was. It's like The Apprentice, if everyone watches that - you can guarantee who's going, by that speech given to camera the contestant gives, where they say something ("I'm Lord Sugar's Apprentice, I will (insert cliche here) and do it all for my dead dog") which means they're doomed.

That's all.
  • Options
    fab cescfab cesc Posts: 19,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of, good, teams in danger of finishing last and a great location made this the best episode of the season for me. They should visit northern Scandinavia more often as it really is a beautiful place. They might start to struggle with tasks though, skiing as well as all the things they showed in this episode seem to be pretty much the only things to do there because of the temperature (about -15 to -25C in Winter).

Normally I hate it when they stay the night somewhere during a leg of the race but I do think they missed a trick in not making them sleep in the ice hotel. Fantastic experience and you can guarantee that quite a few of them would have chickened out at some stage :D. Never done anything else even half as claustrophobic in my life.

Husky sledding is alot of fun as well although they totally glossed over its main downside. As far as I'm aware they're the only animals that go to the toilet while running so the smell is pretty bad if you're lying down on the sled like we were.