Options

Why do people who wear fur get a harder rap than people who eat meat?

21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
Forum Member
I may be villified but I don't have a strong opinion on the wearing of fur (I wouldn't wear it personally, but thats cos I'd like stupid in it as oppose to any moral ground). Surely people who eat meat are just as guilty of slaughtering animals for their own needs than those who wear fur?

Comments

• Options
    HendersonHenderson Posts: 11,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I eat fur. What you gonna do about it...?
  • Options
    Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it is down to "what you can't see, doesn't remind you"? You can't see a beefburger and be reminded what it once was, because it is grilled nicely, and then eaten. Gone. A fur stole or a nice raccoon hat reminds people who love animals what it once was because they can see you parading round in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Henderson wrote: »
    I eat fur. What you gonna do about it...?

I agree. Why not eat the animals we skin?

I actually think fur looks nice :cool:
    And I'm not some hunting enthusiast.
  • Options
    Ray BaroneRay Barone Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    I may be villified but I don't have a strong opinion on the wearing of fur (I wouldn't wear it personally, but thats cos I'd like stupid in it as oppose to any moral ground). Surely people who eat meat are just as guilty of slaughtering animals for their own needs than those who wear fur?

Cos we need meat to survive, it's part of the food chain.
  • Options
    christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meat is to survive, fur is just for materialistic pleasure.
    I know you don't need meat to survive (I'm veggie) but I suppose it's something humans eat to survive and stuff.
  • Options
    Ray BaroneRay Barone Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    I agree. Why not eat the animals we skin?

I actually think fur looks nice :cool:
    And I'm not some hunting enthusiast.

Because foxes and the like stink, oh btw where do you think leather comes from?
  • Options
    missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More people eat meat so it's more accepted. Plus it gives sustenance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ray Barone wrote: »
    Because foxes and the like stink, oh btw where do you think leather comes from?

From cows.

I am actually not anti-fur- I'm with Anna Wintour on this one.
    I was just questioning. PETA seem all to keen to make a mockery of themselves over someone wearing fur but they don't bother with meat eaters. Let them be! A fox would wear human skin if it could.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Ray Barone wrote: »
    Cos we need meat to survive, it's part of the food chain.

Which is fine, but you might as well make use of the fur/leather while you're getting the meat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Which is fine, but you might as well make use of the fur/leather while you're getting the meat.

I agree. Waste not want not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Meat is to survive, fur is just for materialistic pleasure.

Surely it's for keeping peeps warm primarily, and materialism secondarily?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not against wearing fur that has been part of the food chain. If I eat an animal, I'll wear it too.

However...a lot of the problem with fur is that a lot of it comes from animals that are not used for food, and/or bred specifically for fur, and are treated very inhumanely.

And yes, I know the animals we eat are treated badly too :(
    But...not that it makes it much better...they are eaten.

The bodies of these poor things skinned for fur are tossed aside in many cases :(
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Because as usual its not about reason , it is about emotion. These campaigners are in it for the cute animals. That animals tear each other apart in nature and worse is simply not on their mind. That they could fight for more humane fur rather than going hysterical over it is not something they can fathom. Reasoning with them is like trying to reason with a rabid pro lifer in america...you just can't past the bs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed. Like the Native Canadians use it to keep warm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think fur is acceptable in fashion. Where do you stop if you outlaw fur? Leather? Its ridicilous.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    I am Anti Fur.

It is like the person who is wearing it is saying 'Oh look at me I am wearing a dead animal right here and I can and am willing to afford to pay loads to do so'.

Cannot understand why someone would want to myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am Anti Fur.

It is like the person who is wearing it is saying 'Oh look at me I am wearing a dead animal right here and I can and am willing to afford to pay loads to do so'.

So do you feel the same about someone eating meat? If you're in a restaurant and you see someone eating an expensive steak do you say the same?
  • Options
    honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    I am Anti Fur.

I am sure that many people just have the warmest coat on. :)
  • Options
    iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably because the animals that are killed for their fur are not ones that humans get meat from.

So in effect these animals are killed for fashion reasons only.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iiHEARTy0u wrote: »
    Probably because the animals that are killed for their fur are not ones that humans get meat from.

So in effect these animals are killed for fashion reasons only.

Why couldn't I have said it as simple as easy as you?! Blathering on like a fool, I was :D
  • Options
    iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smoo wrote: »
    Why couldn't I have said it as simple as easy as you?! Blathering on like a fool, I was :D

Lol you made a good post too, which i agreed with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Who in London needs to wear a fur jacket so badly? There's central heating everywhere, and it doesn't get that cold.
    I understand an eskimo wearing fur, as they truly do live in harsh weather conditions.
  • Options
    honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    Who in London needs to wear a fur jacket so badly? There's central heating everywhere, and it doesn't get that cold.
    I understand an eskimo wearing fur, as they truly do live in harsh weather conditions.

Not everyone does have central heating actually. Or any effective heating at all.
    We have had a series of mild winters of late but in more harsh weather, and when exposed to the elements for a prolonged period a real fur coat is probably the warmest, lightest, and cheapest (i refer to vintage fur) option.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not everyone does have central heating actually. Or any effective heating at all.
    We have had a series of mild winters of late but in more harsh weather, and when exposed to the elements for a prolonged period a real fur coat is probably the warmest, lightest, and cheapest (i refer to vintage fur) option.

I don't have any heating, but I don't need a fur coat. And I suffer from raynauds in my hands.