Options

Ghurka 30 - 0 Taliban

cheesy_pastycheesy_pasty Posts: 4,302
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Didn't see this posted, although it is a few weeks old...
ONDON (AFP) – A Nepalese soldier in the British army has been given a top bravery award by Queen Elizabeth II for his heroics in Afghanistan, where he single-handedly saw off more than 30 Taliban fighters.
Corporal Dipprasad Pun, 31, said he thought he was going to die and so had nothing to lose in taking on the attackers who overran his checkpoint.
He was awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross (CGC), which is given in recognition of acts of conspicuous gallantry during active operations against the enemy.
Pun fired more than 400 rounds, launched 17 grenades and detonated a mine to repel the Taliban assault on his checkpoint near Babaji in Helmand Province, southern Afghanistan, last September.
Surrounded, the enemy opened fired from all sides and for 15 minutes Pun remained under continuous attack, including from rocket-propelled grenades and AK47 guns.
At one point, unable to shoot, he used his machine gun tripod to knock down a militant who was climbing the walls of the compound.
Two insurgents were still attacking by the time he ran out of ammunition, but he set off a Claymore mine to repel them.

Yahoo

Quite the hero.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,664
    Forum Member

Yahoo

Quite the hero.

yeah i think i posted about him but no one replied, my thread was wondering how they decide what medal is worthy of what.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yahoo

Quite the hero.

Congrats to him, well deserved!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He must be a terrible shot.
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    During the Second World War, my dad spent some time with the Gurkha. His opinion was that the only good thing about them was that they were on our side! :D

Amazing, fighting men with unshakable loyalty to our crown!
  • Options
    TheBillyTheBilly Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    That's like my scores on Medal of Honor. :)
  • Options
    SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Dad served with the Ghurkas in Hong Kong he truly respected those men.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw him getting his award on the news, was quite shocked he said he was there alone. Defence cutbacks?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheBilly wrote: »
    That's like my scores on Medal of Honor. :)

Not mine on COD 4 some bastarfd would have sniped me spawning. :D:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not long back I was talking to this old bloke in the pub about the Ghurkas. He was recalling what his father had told him during WW1, apparently during the night they would creep out into no-mans land and cut off the ears of dead German soldiers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not long back I was talking to this old bloke in the pub about the Ghurkas. He was recalling what his father had told him during WW1, apparently during the night they would creep out into no-mans land and cut off the ears of dead German soldiers.

There is the old story about the British Army lacing up their boots a certain way and the Ghurkas noticed enemy soldiers did theirs up differently, and they used to touch peoples boots and anyone with their boots tied a different way would be meeting their maker very soon.
    This might all be a Urban Myth though.
  • Options
    Nervous O'TooleNervous O'Toole Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Those chaps are very brave.

And to think there were people in the last government who wanted to refuse them entry into our country. Disgraceful.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    During the Second World War, my dad spent some time with the Gurkha. His opinion was that the only good thing about them was that they were on our side! :D

Amazing, fighting men with unshakable loyalty to our crown!

During one of the Falklands battles, the British commander sent a message to the Argentine camp - "surrender now or we'll send in the Gurkhas". The white flag went up immediately.
  • Options
    WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't tend to like seeing combat reported in terms of football scores, but wow, what a guy!
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Respect to that guy.