Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Give him time and see what he's like in a week or 2
  • Options
    D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't agree more. Still baffled why Martin and Sonia were brought back. They had their time and their story.
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like him. He has the look, mannerisms and personality of the old Martin which is good usually when a character is recast their personality changes as well so I'm glad that hasn't happened. He's not the most exciting charactet but then he never was last time around either so it's good continuity. Martin is just a normal bloke, we need normal characters everybody cannot be a murderer or a criminal. Martin is another link to the past as well which is something we cannot get enough of.
  • Options
    FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Posts: 1,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    I absolutely DETEST recasts, Martin Fowler = James Alexandrou to me and always will

By your reasoning, you should detest James Alexandrou in the role. He was a recast himself. Jon Peyton-Price was the original.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I quite like him.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By your reasoning, you should detest James Alexandrou in the role. He was a recast himself. Jon Peyton-Price was the original.

I don't count child actors, they get recast all the time. Not very many child actors can actually act anyway
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I prefer him to nunuBen , I just can't get used to him.
  • Options
    iveivaniveivan Posts: 1,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. Still baffled why Martin and Sonia were brought back. They had their time and their story.

Families are being built back up by reintroducing older characters. Much better than inventing long lost relatives.

If you think back a couple of years, it felt like every character was a singleton with no family ties. The reintroduction of families is moving EE back to its core
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't remember - did Martin cheat on Sonia a few years ago? I'm thinking of when Sonia came back when Bianca was in prison
  • Options
    LilyBLilyB Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    Martin was always dull.
  • Options
    ALowsleyALowsley Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think James Bye is a convincing actor. I sure hope his acting will improve and Martin is a boring character. I miss James Alexandrou :(
  • Options
    mandead88mandead88 Posts: 2,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Martin. They haven't given him a personality transplant, which is good.
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I can't remember - did Martin cheat on Sonia a few years ago? I'm thinking of when Sonia came back when Bianca was in prison

When Sonia returned for a single episode in January 2011 she revealed to Carol that she and Martin had split up and he was living with a new girlfriend, I don't believe it was specifically said that he had cheated on her though. Sonia has cheated on Martin multiple times however, first in 2006 with Naomi, then she tried to sleep with Phil (shudders) but was rejected and then she cheated on him again with Tina - they only kissed but its still cheating. And she's also slept with Fatboy although still married this occurred after they separated however. So in all I would say Sonia has been a lot more at fault than Martin during their two marriages.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently he has secrets that will out
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ALowsley wrote: »
    I don't think James Bye is a convincing actor. I sure hope his acting will improve and Martin is a boring character. I miss James Alexandrou :(

Yeah the actor is very weak. They just got a lookalike rather than focusing on someone who can act.

Most replacements are awful like Lucy. The only good ones have been Lauren and Ben. Peter was good but felt like a totally different character to the one before.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    Yeah the actor is very weak. They just got a lookalike rather than focusing on someone who can act.

Most replacements are awful like Lucy. The only good ones have been Lauren and Ben. Peter was good but felt like a totally different character to the one before.

Lauren grew on me. The new Ben is horrendous. The last Lucy was the best. Peter was OK but as you say, extremely different. I'm willing to give this Martin more of a chance.
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still struggling to like Martin maybe once he gets with Stacey I'll like him more, just now he just seems like a right pain. New Ben I think is great.
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    I don't care about Martin. He's just boring and forgettable.
  • Options
    steve781steve781 Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He always has been. After he finished going off the rails there wasn't much left for his character. Without Sonia and Pauline he would have no storylines.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    It's just a way of the writers to try and justify Sonia and Tina being complete bitches to him and for Sonia to have another lesbian phase.
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like nuMartin - I think he fits in great already and we've only seen him a little.
  • Options
    Sally77Sally77 Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    Apparently he has secrets that will out

Thats what I heard, probably that he has lost his job which allows him to takeover the fruit and veg stall!

I quite like him, I don't think we have seen that much of him, would be good to see how it all develops.
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never forgiven him since he ran over my first soap love Jamie Mitchell. A cold-blooded, merciless killer if ever there was one.

Plus I was at a Greek wedding with James Alexandrou once and he was a right misery guts. I don't even know how it's possible to be miserable at a Greek wedding. We were smashing plates and everything.

This new actor is okay but the character is still basically unlikable.
  • Options
    StroudyStroudy Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Lucy = Melissa, DTC agreed and that's why he killed her off so he could make a who dunnit and have the Beales at the centre of the 30th.