Options

Why don't the characters laugh at the jokes in TV comedy shows?

Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
Forum Member
✭✭
We laugh, why don't they? :confused: How come they all have straight faces when a very funny line is said.

The audience roars with laughter. The cast? NOTHING.:D

Comments

• Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Breaking the 4th wall, Corpsing on stage, etc, other FM's can do the heavy lifting, done this before.
  • Options
    mrroromrroro Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    I love when they do live comedy episodes. Watching the cast corpse is just as funny as the show. 30 Rock had a great live episode. Will and Grace wins for actors corpsing on stage.
  • Options
    actual_soapactual_soap Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    I think the OP means the characters, like if Sharon says something funny to Tracy in Birds Of A Feather, why doesn't Tracy laugh?
    not why doesn't Linda Robson laugh?
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some did. Who remembers Howard's laugh on Ever Decreasing Circles?

Edit: also Uncle albert in OFAH, Alf Garnett Harold/Albert Steptoe, most of the charcters in Vicar of Dibley, Father Ted and Dad's Army..
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deadpan is funny.
  • Options
    daicolldaicoll Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    I think the OP means the characters, like if Sharon says something funny to Tracy in Birds Of A Feather, why doesn't Tracy laugh?

Linda never laughs. Do I have to explain?
  • Options
    hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely it would be unprofessional for the actor to laugh?:confused:
  • Options
    actual_soapactual_soap Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    daicoll wrote: »
    Linda never laughs. Do I have to explain?

What do you mean?
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    In some comedies they do, occasionally, though it's often funnier if it is delivered deadpan or the character is too stupid to get it, or they're angry about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah, that's what I meant. :D It's like in Dad's Army when Captain Mainwaring stumbles and he emerges with his specs askew, we all laugh but none of the characters do.
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The characters on Cheers often laughed, especially Ted Danson and Kelsey Grammer, you had the impression it wasn't always scripted to laugh
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    They laughed quite a lot in Men Behaving Badly too.
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Max in 2 broke girls laughs at all her own jokes
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the OP understands the dynamics of humour.

When Blackadder says to Baldrick "Baldrick, I want you to take this and go out and buy a turkey so large, you'd think its mother had been rogered by an omnibus. I'm going to have a party, and no one's invited but me!"

Funny line, but why should Baldrick find it funny ?
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Because in social occasions people laugh when they find something funny.

There's generally laughing/ or smirking in The Big Bang Theory when there's a cheap shot at one of the characters.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The characters on Cheers often laughed, especially Ted Danson and Kelsey Grammer, you had the impression it wasn't always scripted to laugh

I think that's a great example you've given there. It makes it feel more natural.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When Blackadder says to Baldrick "Baldrick, I want you to take this and go out and buy a turkey so large, you'd think its mother had been rogered by an omnibus. I'm going to have a party, and no one's invited but me!"

I think the OP does understand. I think it's more the case that you don't understand what the OP means. Of course there are situations where deadpan is the best way to do it, but that's not the situation the OP is speaking about.

In some sitcoms the general style suits deadpan reactions from characters, such as in spoofs or parodies which are exaggerated. Sledge Hammer is a great example of this where most of the time it pretty much has to be deadpan. But in some sitcoms when it is a more true to life setup you would expect the characters to act like real people. So that when something funny happens in a scene the characters who aren't supposed to be subnormal laugh at it just like we do.
    The above example of Cheers is a very good example of a sitcom where the characters within it recognise humour when somebody is a butt of a joke.

Only Fools and Horses handled it quite well too, where the characters tended to acknowledge the humour in situations they found themselves in.
    But you can get a lot of sitcoms which seem to be too slick, and characters are reeling off one-liners at each other in rapid succession, but other characters in the scene don't react, and it feels more like the show is serving more to pump out the writing of the jokes rather than considering the characters in a situation. Which can feel very cold and distant. and you feel that the characters aren't really characters but more like cardboard cutout characters used to deliver lines.
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in one of the Royle family Christmas specials nan says to Barbara "aren't there a lot of murders on the orient express?" and behind Barbara you can see Caroline Aherne trying hard not to laugh
  • Options
    adrieldantasadrieldantas Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    They did some times. I was watching Mrs. Brown's Boys and I saw a few times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You'e right, I wouldn't laugh at that either. :p
    They did some times. I was watching Mrs. Brown's Boys and I saw a few times.

One show where the cast is encouraged to laugh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the OP does understand. I think it's more the case that you don't understand what the OP means. Of course there are situations where deadpan is the best way to do it, but that's not the situation the OP is speaking about.

In some sitcoms the general style suits deadpan reactions from characters, such as in spoofs or parodies which are exaggerated. Sledge Hammer is a great example of this where most of the time it pretty much has to be deadpan. But in some sitcoms when it is a more true to life setup you would expect the characters to act like real people. So that when something funny happens in a scene the characters who aren't supposed to be subnormal laugh at it just like we do.
    The above example of Cheers is a very good example of a sitcom where the characters within it recognise humour when somebody is a butt of a joke.

Only Fools and Horses handled it quite well too, where the characters tended to acknowledge the humour in situations they found themselves in.
    But you can get a lot of sitcoms which seem to be too slick, and characters are reeling off one-liners at each other in rapid succession, but other characters in the scene don't react, and it feels more like the show is serving more to pump out the writing of the jokes rather than considering the characters in a situation. Which can feel very cold and distant. and you feel that the characters aren't really characters but more like cardboard cutout characters used to deliver lines.

Correct. Note how in my initial post I said 'characters' in comedy shows. Not actors.
  • Options
    Wong_BillabongWong_Billabong Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends on the comedy
    Take inbetweeners fir example: when Jay makes a joke about say Neil's dad the characters laugh as it's realistic they would but when will makes a joke it's usually deadpan and works much better as the character doesn't get it
  • Options
    CapparwireCapparwire Posts: 2,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's because the actors don't want to look like they're laughing when they shouldn't be, and audiences might think that if they see the character laughing at another character's jokes. Also it might mess up timing etc and usually they have a line to deliver after another characters joke so can't afford the time to have their character reacting to it by laughing (even if that would be natural) instead of getting on with the script

Suspend disbelief! In real life we dont trade hilarious barbs all day at each other either...
  • Options
    WWE MankindWWE Mankind Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    You know OP I must admit you are spot on! Ive never even noticed that. Good thread topic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's worst in some of the American sitcoms where the style is presented as slick and fast, and moves very quickly as characters come out with a gag, then promptly deliver the punchline, then quickly move on to the next gag. Where it feels like it's more about the writing and going through as many gags as possible at the expense of character.