Why are Apple products so expensive

David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why are things like the ipod and iphone (and the Mac computers) so expensive. Wouldnt it make sense to make a cheaper product that more people could afford to buy. I know a lot of people have ipods, but I know just as many people that use a different brand of mp3 player - usually a cheaper option.

Dave

Comments

• comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because people are willing to pay the price the set - i have an iphone - it's ace!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always thought Granny Smith's were over priced!!
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    Why are things like the ipod and iphone (and the Mac computers) so expensive. Wouldnt it make sense to make a cheaper product that more people could afford to buy. I know a lot of people have ipods, but I know just as many people that use a different brand of mp3 player - usually a cheaper option.

Dave

The reason is the "apple factor" there products are perceived to be better, cooler even and we pay a premium for it.

Its the same as people buying a Rolex rather than something cheaper.

I have an iphone and its the best phone I have ever had, I would never buy an apple computer product again though.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not like the iphone can even do video, and yet it costs, what - £400 or whatever, and contract only. And I can rotate pics and do video on my Sony phone, at a fraction of the cost.

Dave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd never buy a MacBook, simply because the price you pay for a low spec macbook you could get a high spec laptop.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,446
    Forum Member
    Because I'm completely shallow and they look really pretty? I already have a beautiful ibook, but everytime I see the advert for the ibook Air I get a bit :eek:WANT!!:eek:

I am incredibly jealous of anyone who owns an iphone. That means you comedyfish :p
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »

Dave

I realise that Apple charge more for their products because they are made only by them, but I do think they over charge a bit. It seems to be the power macs that are the worst things for being pricey, and this is even before you start upgrading their machines in the buy it now section.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cox's Pippins are basically a round pear
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am incredibly jealous of anyone who owns an iphone. That means you comedyfish :p

heh heh everyone loves it - i don't flaunt it around but as soon as someone notices it they are facinated by it,

coupled with the fact it is a brilliant phone, very easy to use and very flash - and no where near the 400 quid price tag the OP mentioned
  • KamiKami Posts: 1,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would never buy an apple computer product again though.

Just curious though, if you've had such a good experience with the iPhone why wouldn't you buy another apple product?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Them Golden Delish aren't delish at all
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd never buy a MacBook, simply because the price you pay for a low spec macbook you could get a high spec laptop.

Spec me a PC with the same setup as a MacBook for cheaper....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cider has always struck me as fairly good value for money :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cider has always struck me as fairly good value for money :)

Cheers!!
  • pault2006pault2006 Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    lofichic wrote: »

That would be just so easy.
  • Emerald InnsEmerald Inns Posts: 4,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By keeping them expensive Apple preserves the 'cache' of the brand by preventing the riff-raff from getting hold of it.

Btw, I don't own any Apple products.
  • SPniSPni Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's because people are brainwashed into paying over the odds for something that isn't that good in the first place. Low spec MacBook Vs High Spec Laptop. I know what I'd rather have.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pault2006 wrote: »
    That would be just so easy.

So do it then. Spec a Dell laptop with the same spec as the standard Black MacBook for cheaper.

I paid £800 for my black macbook with 3 years support and the closest laptop I can match it to would be £904 from Dell.
  • pault2006pault2006 Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Cheap Apple laptop here but there's a catch............you have to be either going on holiday or just returning from one.

http://www.dixonstaxfree.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=computing.view&section=computing&group=1012,1211,1212&pro_id=7000702

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because they are quality top spec products.
    i have a macbook, im never going beck to windows!!!
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,415
    Forum Member
    Its mostly down to marketing, but to be fair to them they do tend to come up with some innovative ideas and genuinely nice stuff. They also tend to use higher quality/specification components than you will find on some budget PCs people often do comparisons with.
  • rosalynnrosalynn Posts: 4,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use a Mac at work and a PC at home. Can't really decide between the two. If I am honest, the Mac at work crashes more but I'll admit I use it more. If I were to buy a computer though, I would still go for a nice PC over a Mac just because the benefits of a Mac aren't worth that much more to me. The Mac feels very nicely designed and well built, but then my el cheapo Dell isn't that far behind IMHO.

I also have an iPod. I don't know why I went for an iPod over another MP3 player, but again, I quite like it. I would recommend it to other people, but struggle to think whether or not it is that much better than ones half the price.

I do get the feeling that Apple products are really well designed but that you are still paying quite a large premium for the name and prestige associated with them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well . . . its all about packaging, presentation and image innit!!

Don't want an iPod . . . i gotta Sony Flash player which is much easier
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont get me wrong, I strongly think that if Apple had not brought out their Mac in 1984, MS would have kept forcing DOS on us to this day - and as a result, the PC wouldnt now be used for everyday things like digital pictures, internet, music, and so on. I for one kept well clear of MS DOS when it was the main format around. I bought several Mac's in the past for this very reason. Even Windows 3.1 didnt really make the grade. But since Windows 95, the PC has got a lot better. Apple re-invented its self and gave us Mac OS X, which while it has some gains over Windows and Mac OS Classic, it has to be said that any modern OS can do more or less the job as well as another - there maybe small area's of difference or times when one edges ahead with a couple of new features, but there's not much in it. Even Vista is a case of re-invention for the sake of something to do.

So now that PC are as easy to use as Mac's, the price becomes more of an issue. For a start, you can buy PC laptops (entry level) for £399, and a top of the line desktop for less than £1000 - with monitor as well.

Dave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lofichic wrote: »

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m1330?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs
    Although, you do know Dell isn't the cheapest out there?:confused: