Question about Importing from the US to the UK

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
Forum Member
Ok so I'm pretty new to this whole importing thing. And I was recently in the states and saw some phones that I like. But I didn't buy any out of fear that they won't work in the UK.

The phone that interested me the most was the "HTC Mytouch 4G Slide" http://www.gsmarena.com/t_mobile_mytouch_4g_slide-4018.php

So my question is. would this phone work in the UK if I imported it from the US? Because some people say that I need to have a T-mobile sim card (which I do) and others say that it needs to be unlocked first? so that got me kinda confused.

Comments

• John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't see why that wont work in uk, its GSM 900 and 1800 and 3G 2100 which are the bands used in he uk.

Unlocking will depend on if the location you bought it from has it locked or not.

An unlocked device there will still be unlocked here
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Can't see why that wont work in uk, its GSM 900 and 1800 and 3G 2100 which are the bands used in he uk.

Unlocking will depend on if the location you bought it from has it locked or not.

An unlocked device there will still be unlocked here

They have banned unlocking 'phones in the USA.
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have banned unlocking 'phones in the USA.

But you can still buy phones that are already unlocked over there
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the reply guys. I decided that I will buy the phone although it won't be unlocked. I'm confident that the phone will work over here.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if it's locked, I've read previously that T-Mobile US handsets will work just fine with T-Mobile UK SIMs.
    I was never able to confirm it but it's a possibility.

That aside, I think the deciding factor whether you should but it is price - it's a two-year-old phone, unless it's priced at a bargain, it wouldn't be worth it IMO, especially since you'll have no warranty.
    Forum Member
    I think it will be a good bargin since the one I found will cost like $110 and comes with a 1yr warranty.

But if/when I do get the phone I will def confirm if it works with a T-mobile sim card or not.
    Forum Member
    I told my friend that works at Phones4U what I was planning to do, and they said that the phone would not work over here no matter if the phone was locked or unlocked. So once again I am confused? : (
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    It won't work here.

And besides, Import fees + shipping would take the cost of the phone over your budget.

You can get much better phones for the same price even in the UK.
    If you're ever going to import a phone it's better off getting it from the EU or China.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I told my friend that works at Phones4U what I was planning to do, and they said that the phone would not work over here no matter if the phone was locked or unlocked.
    Your friend's wrong.
    It's a GSM handset that supports the frequencies used by UK networks, there's no reason why it wouldn't work other than being network-locked.

As for buying from China, there's no reason that would work out any better in terms of import duty etc.
    The EU is a different matter but China wouldn't be any better than the US.
    Forum Member
    So the phone would still be locked over here even if I have a T-mobile sim card?

I've read that most transactions involving China are pretty bad because the items are usually in bad shape or just out right the wrong one ordered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the phone would still be locked over here even if I have a T-mobile sim card?
    As I say, there's a chance that it would accept a T-Mobile UK SIM without needing to be unlocked but it's only a chance.
    Otherwise, it would need to be unlocked to work on a UK network.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T-Mobile UK and T-Mobile US are separate companies. Don't presume that something locked to the US company will be unlocked for UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T-Mobile UK and T-Mobile US are separate companies. Don't presume that something locked to the US company will be unlocked for UK.
    As I said before, there's a fair amount of anecdotal evidence to suggest that T-Mobile US handsets will accept T-Mobile UK SIMs, a bit of digging around online reveals examples such as this, in which the author claims to have been able to use a T-Mobile UK SIM in her T-Mobile US handset (as it happens the same one the OP is considering) without having gotten it unlocked. I've seen similar stories elsewhere, with people saying the same sort of thing.

It's far from conclusive, as I told the OP but it's an option for them if they do buy the handset in question.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice guys but I think I'm gonna buy this after what Step666 said about a woman with the same phone as the one I'm interested in. Hopefully it will work.
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member
    Step666 wrote: »
    As I said before, there's a fair amount of anecdotal evidence to suggest that T-Mobile US handsets will accept T-Mobile UK SIMs, a bit of digging around online reveals examples such as this, in which the author claims to have been able to use a T-Mobile UK SIM in her T-Mobile US handset (as it happens the same one the OP is considering) without having gotten it unlocked. I've seen similar stories elsewhere, with people saying the same sort of thing.

It's far from conclusive, as I told the OP but it's an option for them if they do buy the handset in question.

If you look through the comments on that link, you'll see that her handset was supplied 'unlocked' to start with. (it wasn't locked to -mobile US) From the other comments it seems other handsets weren't locked.

As the MNC and MCC are obviously different for each company, I thinks it's unlikely a locked phone would accept the other SIM.

Of more importance, to a UK customer would be T-mobile US very heavyweight branding and app restrictions.Traditionally, the advicehas been to flash stock firmware. This won't be possible for this handset.
  • jamllewjamllew Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    I used to live in the US and had the my touch 4g (not the slide). Looking at the frequencies on gsmarena, your phone will work fine. You will more than likely need it to be unlocked though- you can probably get this done online although I'm not sure.

I still have the my touch 4g and can confirm that it works perfectly fine on 3g here. Certainly my touch doesn't have any app restrictions and there is very little in the way of tmobile specific software on it so what they're is, you can just ignore.

I would try and find a way to get it unlocked before buying. As one poster already said tmobile us and UK are separate companies. Hope that helps.
    Forum Member
    jamllew wrote: »
    I used to live in the US and had the my touch 4g (not the slide). Looking at the frequencies on gsmarena, your phone will work fine. You will more than likely need it to be unlocked though- you can probably get this done online although I'm not sure.

I still have the my touch 4g and can confirm that it works perfectly fine on 3g here. Certainly my touch doesn't have any app restrictions and there is very little in the way of tmobile specific software on it so what they're is, you can just ignore.

I would try and find a way to get it unlocked before buying. As one poster already said tmobile us and UK are separate companies. Hope that helps.

Yes that helped a lot. Thanks.
  • Chris1973Chris1973 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And besides, Import fees + shipping would take the cost of the phone over your budget.

Shipping, Import Duty and UK VAT @ 20%

And don't forget that many carriers will also add on an admin fee for dealing with customs on your behalf. This 'admin' fee can range from £8 for the Royal Mail, to £20+ for some of the well known delivery agents!