Cat on heat?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
Forum Member
I have a 6 month old kitten who is booked in to be dressed in two weeks times but i think she might have just gone on heat or is just about to start.

She is allowed out in our garden but only when we are around and yesterday about 3 toms appeared out of nowhere sniffing about she has also been acting very strange and sleepy (neveer had a cat before so not sure if these are actual signs

Is it still possible to have her dressed or will we have to rearrange it?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check with your vets about the neutering. However I wouldn't let her out at all until she has had her op. Otherwise you will have a litter of kittens before you know it.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your cat isn't spayed then your vet bills may be extortionate ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    thanks im going to give them a call first thing to check

Havent let her out since yesterday but she is very determined so we may need to keep a closer eye on her.

She gets very tempermental if she doesnt get her own way :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When a cat goes in heat sometimes its howls or crys it sounds like its saying hello. They get over friendly, Sit like a frog and usualy can be a pain in the backside. I have 3 females which are going to be speyed shortly and they have all been in heat at the same time. They are not allowed out and will not go out until they are speyed. The toms will stay around whilst she is on heat. The females sometimes will look for a male so she might go missing. Its a good idea keeping her in till she is speyed. You can get them speyed during heat as well
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    It is generally unmistakable when a female cat goes into season. She will be restless and will howl and yowl - sleepiness doesn't feature highly!

If she IS in season, do NOT neuter her. It is very risky, as there is increased blood flow to the uterus. I speak from personal experience - one of my kittens died of internal bleeding after I was badly advised by a former vet and had her neutered when she was in season (she was 6 months old - I always neuter at 5 months now).
  • funkycubfunkycub Posts: 9,348
    Forum Member
    My cats were booked in on the date that the vets thought would be before their first season. Then three days before all hell broke loose. Ella tried to mate with everything and we had to be very careful with not letting her out. And the wailing...oh the wailing!!!

It was a horrible three days, Anyway we called the vet and they said they would still see her but advised us that it would cost £20 more as it is a more complicated process when a cat is or has just had heat.

Having read Lippincotes comment, I was unaware of any danger. we specically did ask if it was safe and they said it was fine, just more complcated i and I am glad I didn't know that! Everything went ok with Ella.
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    My kitty was called Ella too:cry:

My vet was clearly an idiot, he actually recommended waiting till she was in season to spay her, and despite repeated questioning denied there was any additional risk - or we would not have done it (we had always had male cats before so didn't know much about females at the time). He also spayed her midline which carries more risks than flank, and when we took her back in a state of collapse the next morning he didn't recognise how poorly she was - she died a few hours later.:mad: So as I say, an idiot.

I would never spay in season again, hence neutering at 5 months, you can be pretty sure they won't come into season that early.