Can anyone describe the layout of the old Coronation Street Mission Hall?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
Forum Member
Can anyone draw/describe the layout of the old Coronation Street Mission Hall that stands where the Kabin does now?

Comments

• actual_soapactual_soap Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    Can anyone draw/describe the layout of the old Coronation Street Mission Hall that stands where the Kabin does now?
    Elsie.....?!
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was where the medical centre now is...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    jojo01 wrote:
    I thought it was where the medical centre now is...

Me too. I think it was just one big hall with a couple of smaller rooms off it but it was a long time ago. Why do you want to know please?
  • Elsie TannerElsie Tanner Posts: 5,110
    Forum Member
    The Glad Tidings Mission Hall was at the end of Coronation Street which is now home to the Kabin, the garage and the factory. You may remember that a year or so ago Norris thought that the Kabin was "haunted" and Emily said that the Mission used to stand on the site of the Kabin, adding that Ena Sharples's daughter had died there. The Mission spanned about a quarter of the Street, with the other three quarters being home to Elliston's Raincoat Factory.

The main entrance to the Mission was on Victoria Street which supposedly ran parallell to Coronation Street, however these days Victoria Street only runs as far as the Streetcars taxi office.

Ena Sharples, the Mission caretaker lived in a small flat at the back, known lovingly as "The vestry". Although the address of the Mission itself was Victoria Street, Ena's vestry held the address 16 Coronation Street.

There was a small porch at the front door on Victoria Street, which was regularly seen in the early 1960s when Mr Swindley or Miss Nugent (later Mrs Emily Bishop) would be seen putting up notices in the small advertising box outside. The front porch also featured in some of the closing credits used in 1960.

The porch opened onto a large hall which was fully-pannelled in wood with stained glass windows which didn't serve much of a purpose as the sun was hidden behind the viaduct. Ena complained about this quite often.

A small door at the back led to Ena's vestry which was a single room with a bed, some over-sized Victorian furniture and a small stove and sink. It was a modest set-up to say the least. The vestry had its own door onto Coronation Street.
  • torreviejaladstorreviejalads Posts: 1,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was roughly where 'The Kabin' is now.
  • Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
    Forum Member
    The Glad Tidings Mission Hall was at the end of Coronation Street which is now home to the Kabin, the garage and the factory. You may remember that a year or so ago Norris thought that the Kabin was "haunted" and Emily said that the Mission used to stand on the site of the Kabin, adding that Ena Sharples's daughter had died there. The Mission spanned about a quarter of the Street, with the other three quarters being home to Elliston's Raincoat Factory.

The main entrance to the Mission was on Victoria Street which supposedly ran parallell to Coronation Street, however these days Victoria Street only runs as far as the Streetcars taxi office.

Ena Sharples, the Mission caretaker lived in a small flat at the back, known lovingly as "The vestry". Although the address of the Mission itself was Victoria Street, Ena's vestry held the address 16 Coronation Street.

There was a small porch at the front door on Victoria Street, which was regularly seen in the early 1960s when Mr Swindley or Miss Nugent (later Mrs Emily Bishop) would be seen putting up notices in the small advertising box outside. The front porch also featured in some of the closing credits used in 1960.

The porch opened onto a large hall which was fully-pannelled in wood with stained glass windows which didn't serve much of a purpose as the sun was hidden behind the viaduct. Ena complained about this quite often.

A small door at the back led to Ena's vestry which was a single room with a bed, some over-sized Victorian furniture and a small stove and sink. It was a modest set-up to say the least. The vestry had its own door onto Coronation Street.

Didn't it look unrealistic? A hall in a small street or was it a thing from the war? Community halls in small streets
    Forum Member
    Didn't it look unrealistic? A hall in a small street or was it a thing from the war? Community halls in small streets

There used to be Mission Halls all over. They were small chapels rather than "Community Halls" or "Centres". If you look around any Victorian or Edwardian town centre or residential area with terraces, you will see small chapels dotted around the place.

We must remember that when they were built, the religious beliefs in Britain were massively, amazingly different from what they are now. Religion was everything. They were used for worship and nothing else.

To some extent, Coronation Street showed the change in religious feeling in Britain. By 1966 the Mission Committee gave in to pressure to have the Hall converted into a Community Centre, as congregations had reduced so much. Night classes started to be held and "groups" would meet such as the OAP group, mothers and toddlers and reading groups...things like that. The purpose of the Mission changed from religion to community.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,863
    Forum Member
    There used to be Mission Halls all over. They were small chapels rather than "Community Halls" or "Centres". If you look around any Victorian or Edwardian town centre or residential area with terraces, you will see small chapels dotted around the place.

We must remember that when they were built, the religious beliefs in Britain were massively, amazingly different from what they are now. Religion was everything. They were used for worship and nothing else.

To some extent, Coronation Street showed the change in religious feeling in Britain. By 1966 the Mission Committee gave in to pressure to have the Hall converted into a Community Centre, as congregations had reduced so much. Night classes started to be held and "groups" would meet such as the OAP group, mothers and toddlers and reading groups...things like that. The purpose of the Mission changed from religion to community.

They demolished it and rebuilt it as a community centre didn't they? And Ena had that weird looking structure to live in which was next to Baldwins factory...which later housed Percy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    VoodooChic wrote:
    They demolished it and rebuilt it as a community centre didn't they? And Ena had that weird looking structure to live in which was next to Baldwins factory...which later housed Percy

Wasn't that the Maisonettes that were there from 67-72?
    Forum Member
    VoodooChic wrote:

The Mission and Elliston's were demolished in 1968 and the "Maisonettes" were built. They were really just a block of flats; Coronation Street's attempt to keep up with the widespread demolition and building of 1960s brutalist architecture. They didn't want to risk demolishing the terrace itself, so they made-do with getting rid of the Mission and Factory.

The maisonettes never really worked and weren't inhabited by any new residents apart from a widow called Effie Spicer. Ena lived in a downstairs flat, still with the address 16 Coronation Street. The Barlows (Ken, Val, Peter & Susan) moved from Number 9 into a two-storey flat.

It was 1971 when the decision was made to demolish the maisonettes and take Coronation Street back to its roots of "meeting place and sweatshop", so a large warehouse and community centre were built. The writers tied in Anne Reid's decision to quit as Val Barlow by having her electrocuted in her flat and them subsequently burning down.
  • actual_soapactual_soap Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    The Mission and Elliston's were demolished in 1968 and the "Maisonettes" were built. They were really just a block of flats; Coronation Street's attempt to keep up with the widespread demolition and building of 1960s brutalist architecture. They didn't want to risk demolishing the terrace itself, so they made-do with getting rid of the Mission and Factory.

The maisonettes never really worked and weren't inhabited by any new residents apart from a widow called Effie Spicer. Ena lived in a downstairs flat, still with the address 16 Coronation Street. The Barlows (Ken, Val, Peter & Susan) moved from Number 9 into a two-storey flat.

It was 1971 when the decision was made to demolish the maisonettes and take Coronation Street back to its roots of "meeting place and sweatshop", so a large warehouse and community centre were built. The writers tied in Anne Reid's decision to quit as Val Barlow by having her electrocuted in her flat and them subsequently burning down.
    you're so full of facts, i love it :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    any other corrie building facts
    Forum Member
    lukey89 wrote:
    any other corrie building facts

Such as....? What would you like to know?
  • torreviejaladstorreviejalads Posts: 1,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's one for you. I've been watching 'Most Haunted - Coronation Street' (only because it's about Corrie - HONEST) on YouTube (click here to see the 1st part )

They are in the old warehouse directly behind the health centre, and it now houses a TV gallery for the programme and they call it Studio 2. I know that they've filmed in there for Corrie - the police station, and both Angela Harris and Jim McDonald's prison. But, as it's called Studio 2, then what else is filmed there, if anything.

Cheers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Such as....? What would you like to know?

I'd really like to see a pic of the street with the maisonettes? Do you have one elsie? I love your posts by the way.
    Forum Member
    Here's one for you. I've been watching 'Most Haunted - Coronation Street' (only because it's about Corrie - HONEST) on YouTube (click here to see the 1st part )

They are in the old warehouse directly behind the health centre, and it now houses a TV gallery for the programme and they call it Studio 2. I know that they've filmed in there for Corrie - the police station, and both Angela Harris and Jim McDonald's prison. But, as it's called Studio 2, then what else is filmed there, if anything.

Cheers.

I believe it is called "Stage Two".

It is rightly used for some Coronation Street filming (I think that it is the home of the new Underworld set) but it is also a general Granada studio used for a range of other productions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stage two is the red warehouse building opposite charlies builders yard, you can see it clearly from the museum next door. it used to house the set of sherlock holmes which was part of granada studios and had the house of commons at the end! so technically i've been in the corrie studio.

Also I was at the studio gates a while ago and the factory characters kept going down to the right towards the old entrance to granada studios where theatre shows were put on about special effects, maybe that is underworls. Also at the old entrance to granada studios is the 'Davenprots' car showroom which used to be burger king at granada studios. it is in a viaduct which was part of the original outdoor set. at granada studios there also used to be a sooty show and that is now, I believe, The pizza restaurant, valandros!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    wish granada stuidos tour was still on - it was great!
  • kingoftvkingoftv Posts: 3,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went on a tour there and the health centre showed all these clips of the show.

I think there is an entrance to the green room near the peackcocks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The green room is through turner's joinery on the viaduct, well the door about 5 metres to the left!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    The green room is through turner's joinery on the viaduct, well the door about 5 metres to the left!

What are the other shop fronts along Viaduct Street?
  • tatlocktatlock Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi.

I've recently started watching the early Corrie episodes on DVD. As the credits roll at the end it shows a building attatched to the end of the Rovers (where i guess the side road would be now). I'm pretty sure this is the Glad Tidings Mission Hall, but i can't find anything that agrees with this. Everything i've read seems to indicate that this building was on the other side of the road, where the Kabin & Factory are now. If so, what is this building?

Secondly, the houses look completely different inside. I appreciate that sets would've been revamped over the years. I was wondering if it was simply a case of them slowly altering things or wether there was some kind of story that caused the houses to change, maybe local renovation, or alike. It's amazing how similar the street is, right down to the frontage of the houses, but inside they look to have different layouts.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • tatlocktatlock Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone?

Also, does the user 'Elsie Tanner' no longer post around here. Would enjoy talking to him/her judging my their answers above?
  • David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tatlock wrote: »
    Hi.

I've recently started watching the early Corrie episodes on DVD. As the credits roll at the end it shows a building attatched to the end of the Rovers (where i guess the side road would be now). I'm pretty sure this is the Glad Tidings Mission Hall, but i can't find anything that agrees with this. Everything i've read seems to indicate that this building was on the other side of the road, where the Kabin & Factory are now. If so, what is this building?

It's definitely the Mission hall, it's just in the wrong place. I guess mistakes like this were bound to happen in the early episodes - we know from the first episode that the Mission hall is across the street.
    Secondly, the houses look completely different inside. I appreciate that sets would've been revamped over the years. I was wondering if it was simply a case of them slowly altering things or wether there was some kind of story that caused the houses to change, maybe local renovation, or alike. It's amazing how similar the street is, right down to the frontage of the houses, but inside they look to have different layouts.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Are there any houses in particular you're referring to?

David
  • SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is a 'mission'? Is it like a small chapel or church?:confused:

There was one by me, and I always assumed it was a religious building.