TAR 18 Episode 6 discussion

Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This weeks episode took a while to get going, thanks to the lack of airport drama and then the Hours of Operation, although the latter was worth it for the amusing little practical joke played on the later arriving teams.

The camaraderie between the teams this series is actually quite nice to see, I thought it especially nice at the tea task, where the teams were openly encouraging each other, especially as the numbers dwindled. I'm sure it won't last, but I actually found myself liking the globetrotters this week for the first time because of it.

As for how the task played out...the smart ones were the ones who smelled the tea. The aroma was always likely to tell you more than the actual taste.

The detour tasks were nothing really special. The only difficulty for the book one was to find the shop to collect the books, so that was definitely the better option to take i feel. Nice moment at the school for Jet and Cord.

You couldn't help but feel sorry for Luke in this episode, he looked utterly defeated by the time he got to the pitstop and dropped to the ground.

With that said though, it only served to underscore the lack of emotional development Luke has undergone since first time around, he is still so immature and childish in many ways, and I still maintain a lot of that is his mum's fault, mollycoddling your children really doesn't do them any favours in the long run.

The product placement moment in this episode was disgusting, imho, i know the show has always shoe horned them in, but this was a step to far! All that speil about snapple when Gary and Mallory had just won the leg, like they should be excited to be the first to taste a new flavour of that crappy drink! And then the group shot later with five teams all holding a bottle of snapple! Talk about shameless! I suspect the only reason Phil didn't force a bottle on Luke was because he probably would have hit him over the head with it!

It makes you appreciate the BBC all the more when yo usee crap like that being pulled!

Comments

• telly fantelly fan Posts: 2,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with all you've said Muttley
    I cried for Luke (but then I am female lol) when the Indian guys lifted him and clapped and cheered. He must have been there ages. I wanted to shout just smell it, poor guy, but yes very immature, glad they went home really as the other teams are just so good.
    Mallory made me laugh though "we're a special team" lol just loving her again.

anyone know why it's not on next week ?
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    telly fan wrote: »
    I agree with all you've said Muttley
    I cried for Luke (but then I am female lol) when the Indian guys lifted him and clapped and cheered. He must have been there ages. I wanted to shout just smell it, poor guy, but yes very immature, glad they went home really as the other teams are just so good.
    Mallory made me laugh though "we're a special team" lol just loving her again.

anyone know why it's not on next week ?

County Music Awards next week.

Yeah, I don't think you could help but be moved by Luke's struggle with this task, I found it very touching when the Indian guys were encuraging him, and then the reaction to when he completed eventually.

His breakdown here was at least endearing rather than obnoxious like last time round, so perhaps that it progress of sorts for Luke, but you can't help but wonder how he would have dealt with the more difficult food tasks in past series, like the caviar of series 5 or the live squid of series 4.... Because in spite of what he repeatedly claimed, it really wasn't that hard a task.....
  • RedmondRedmond Posts: 19,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I thought Luke was being a baby, and should have just gotten on with it instead of crying to his Mum. But hey!

I actually didn't mind the Globetrotter's this episode. Shocking!

Still finding this season a bit of a chore, which is a shame because I thought last season was really good.
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I enjoyed that last episode a lot more, not sure why. I thought it was a good episode. I did feel really sad for Luke.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Redmond wrote: »
    Personally I thought Luke was being a baby, and should have just gotten on with it instead of crying to his Mum. But hey!

As i said, in a sense i do agree, but i can't help but feel for him regardless. He seems to really crack under pressure, both this series and last time around, and one feels for all that he may be quite book smart, in some ways he isn't really emotionally mature enough for the race.

But when i see someone break down emotionally, i can't help but feel for them. It was hard to see, and I felt really sorry for him.
    I actually didn't mind the Globetrotter's this episode. Shocking!

Ha, i know, they seemed like nice, fun supportive guys...wonder if they are pod people? :p

Still finding this season a bit of a chore, which is a shame because I thought last season was really good.

on balance i liked the last series more too, but i am still enjoying this one a lot....could do with a kick arse leg to move it up a gear i think. :)
  • telly fantelly fan Posts: 2,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    County Music Awards next week.

thanks

I'm really enjoying this season Jet & Chord and Garry & Mallory were both favourite teams of mine in past seasons and I liked all the rest in theirs, even the globetrotters :D

can't believe we have to wait 2 weeks for the next episode though :(
  • JamesbucJamesbuc Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    Redmond wrote: »

I thought that at first... till I saw exactly how much tea was missing from the table as the Globetrotters/Margie+Luke were left, jeez :o How much tea did everyone drink? Im suprised there was only one broken cup at the end of it all XD I know I would be tempted to hurl a cup. :o

I actually wanted the Globetrotters out, not because I dont like em just their victory chanting gives me a headache. LOL
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.cbs.com/forum/posts/list/149672.page
    No greast surprise, but TAR renewed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    Another trip to India but I think it always delivers good legs particularly these very short legs where on mistake takes you out, they probably needed this leg after racing for days in China.

The tea task was great reminds me of the chocolate one in TAR 5, and it wasn't purely luck so was glad to see Ron and Jet pull away rather than purely guessing every one like Luke and Flighttime. A really nice scene with the cowboys and the children at the school, love these little snippets of local interaction. Ron wanting to disco at the detour had me in stitches as well as Mallory screaming to find the "sign in" sheet at the hours of operation, bunching was worth it just for that.

Jen and Kisha were so lucky to get a taxi to the right area when they were going to the Snapple factory otherwise I think if they had gone to the other side of the city they would have been gone. Gary and Mallory are doing much better than I expected, 2 wins now and I think they could be going for the final 3.

Kynt and Vyxsin are still annoying me probably because I think they should have been out last episode but I kinda see them as fake and the way they barged onto the mat was just awkward. Them or globetrotters out next please.

Roll on Europe and more self driving please, next weeks India preview gave nothing away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.cbs.com/forum/posts/list/149672.page
    No greast surprise, but TAR renewed.

thats good to hear...:)
  • CwejCwej Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scott14 wrote: »

Jen and Kisha were so lucky to get a taxi to the right area when they were going to the Snapple factory otherwise I think if they had gone to the other side of the city they would have been gone. y.

Possibly, but I do get the impression that the last 2 teams were quite a long way behind the rest of the pack.

This episode was quite average, but I'm amazed that people didn't find the preceding 2 episodes drama-filled enough to be totally on board with this series. I'm also loving the rapport between the teams - a genuine affection, but at the same time, very competitive.

Ron's disco dancing made me piss myself.

Luke's breakdown was slightly pathetic, but I agree that I couldn't help but feel a bit sorry for him. Overall though, I've found him quite awful this series - and Margi much more bearable, the opposite of how I felt in their original series. I am pleased to see them go though... now all the teams I wanted out are gone - I don't think that has EVER happened in a series of The Amazing Race for me. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didnt really dislike Margie & Luke last season till later on. I know I disliked them by the time they fell out with Kisha & Jen.

Margie is generally okay just overprotective towards Luke. And Luke is kind of immature and dependent on his mother. But in a way thats what makes them a likeable team as I can understand them having that kind of a relationship given Luke's condition. I found them more endearing this time anyway.

Just checked on Wikipedia - he's 25 but comes across much younger than that. Vyxen is actually only 23 apparently? GOD, she looks MUCH older than that. I can't believe that.
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the official website, Vyxsin is 32, and Kent 35.
  • AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still remember the rat temple way back in one of the earlier seasons. I wish they would return to that sometime.
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    The product placement moment in this episode was disgusting, imho, i know the show has always shoe horned them in, but this was a step to far! All that speil about snapple when Gary and Mallory had just won the leg, like they should be excited to be the first to taste a new flavour of that crappy drink! And then the group shot later with five teams all holding a bottle of snapple! Talk about shameless! I suspect the only reason Phil didn't force a bottle on Luke was because he probably would have hit him over the head with it!

It makes you appreciate the BBC all the more when yo usee crap like that being pulled!

How's the BBCs version of Amazing Race working out for you?
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really wasn't a fan of Margie and Luke last time round but warmed to them this year, especially Margie. Couldn't help but feel for Luke:(

Like all the teams left but am hoping for a Gary/Malory or Jet/Cord victory
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aerick wrote: »
    How's the BBCs version of Amazing Race working out for you?

I don't really see how thats relevant, tbh, just because I love a programme that isn't made in the UK, doesn't mean I am not allowed to irritated by some really disgraceful product placement that for me spoiled the episode. As I said, it's something I am pleased that the BBC don't indulge in in programmes they make. One of the niggles i have always had with TAR is it seems to be a slave to it's sponsors quite often, but this was a step beyond being a niggle.
  • DamandaDamanda Posts: 34,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first time watching TAR... I love margie and luke, his condition is one that people find very frustrating, communicating feelings and expressing yourself is very hard and it therefore causes breakdowns more readily. I thought he was fab and I want to give him a massive hug so ..... :p there
    :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damanda wrote: »
    My first time watching TAR... I love margie and luke, his condition is one that people find very frustrating, communicating feelings and expressing yourself is very hard and it therefore causes breakdowns more readily. I thought he was fab and I want to give him a massive hug so ..... :p there
    :D

That's what I thought too.:) I just had some redisual dislike towards them from the last time they were on. But looking back I don't remember them being too bad.