RIP John Sullivan.

ned flandersned flanders Posts: 588
Forum Member
✭✭
The great John Sulivan has died! :-( His programmes have been an essential part of our tv viewing. what was your favourite show/moment from his long career? :(

Comments

• Charlie ChuckCharlie Chuck Posts: 2,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh that's a shame, loved some of his comedy work. Del Boy falling down at the bar was funny. BBC are stating he had a short illness.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13176198
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found this unsettling considering I've just watched GOLD's Top 40 Only Fools' moments. Terrible news. R.I.P. John :(
  • KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shocking news. A true comedy genius and there are very few of the old-timers left. RIP John. Thanks for your material.
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Very sad news. Only Fools is arguably the most loved British sitcom of all time, and a big reason that this is true is because of John Sullivan. Very talented writer who shall be missed by all comedy fans.

Bonjour John, and RIP :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,516
    Forum Member
    This came as a great shock after seeing him on Gold's Only Fools and Horses top moments. Very sad news :(

R.I.P. John Sullivan :(
  • *Clem**Clem* Posts: 4,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad. I loved Only Fools - best British comedy IMO. RIP John.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best who will wrtie something like Only Fools ever again?

RiP :(
  • Tori's SoapboxTori's Soapbox Posts: 4,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously shocked and saddened by this news:

Very very sad :(
  • ShaiyaShaiya Posts: 3,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, that's a bit of a shocker. Writer of my favourite TV show. Anyone know if he was ill?

RIP :(
  • KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best who will wrtie something like Only Fools ever again?

RiP :(

Why do people want it continued?

I am sick of people milking shows for years just to make money off the back of it. Let the show be. Although no matter how many spin-offs they make it will always be remembered as being legendary. How many shows can honestly say that?
  • *Clem**Clem* Posts: 4,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KidPoker wrote: »

I am sick of people milking shows for years just to make money off the back of it. Let the show be. Although no matter how many spin-offs they make it will always be remembered as being legendary. How many shows can honestly say that?

I don't think that's what Sick Bullet meant. I thought they meant they couldn't imagine anyone writing a (new) show as funny and good again.
  • glowboyglowboy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Citizen Smith, Just Good Friends, Dear John...

Very sad that we have just lost yet another incredibly talented writer.

R.I.P. John Sullivan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad news, he was an amazing writer and OFAH especially is comedy gold, easily Britain's best loved sitcom. So many memories and so many laughs, thanks John.

R.I.P.
  • emma dailyemma daily Posts: 1,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP you plonker :cry:
  • darlingdarling Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Very sad news. :cry:
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very sad to hear. I didn't know he was unwell.

Only Fools and Horses, amongst the many other comedy greats, is a tremendous legacy to leave.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,778
    Forum Member
    I was thinking of him just this morning and in the last few days, thinking and hoping he would make a great come back in Rock and Chips!

I'm gutted. I wonder if the criticism of Only Fools and Horses Xmas specials after the main series came to an end may have affected his health?

I have thought that if the BBC told him well in advance they would commision Xmas specials and not left it very late in the year, that they would have been at the same quality as the ones of the 1980's where etc.

R.I.P. though John Sullivan, thanks for all of yuor great work on all of your great programmes and creations, you will be missed by so many.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,778
    Forum Member
    Shaiya wrote: »
    Well, that's a bit of a shocker. Writer of my favourite TV show. Anyone know if he was ill?

RIP :(

It looks QUITE sudden, was a short illness, died of pnemonioa of the lungs I heard in an interview with Tim Wilcox on BBC News channel and Gareth Gwnlan I think his name is who was a major part of the production team. That was around 2.20 pm I saw that.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KidPoker wrote: »

How on earth did you come to that from what i wrote?

Would be fairly hard when David Jason is about 80.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :(:(:( Not only a genius, but in interviews he came across as pleasant and modest. RIP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
    ^ The 'chandelier' moment :)
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :(:(:( Not only a genius, but in interviews he came across as pleasant and modest. RIP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
    ^ The 'chandelier' moment :)

Never gets old. :D:D Thanks for link. :)

Very sad news, but what a legacy. RIP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    RIP John.

This has genuinely shocked me when I read this tonight.

A sad loss.
  • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    Very sad that John Sullivan past away.

I must say I enjoyed Dear John and Heartburn Hotel hugely and they don't get the recognition that I think they deserve.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ever since i met my OH he was OFH mad, we have the boxset and have watched a million times.

My OH woke up today and i informed him that John Sullivan had died and he was genuienly gutted! OFAH is his fav prog of all time!

So OFAH has been on GOLD all day !

Nice little tribute!
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad. He wrote some fantastic stuff. If it was pneumonia, it can turn nasty very quickly- particularly if resistant to antibiotics. I was really hoping they'd do a new series of 'Green, Green Grass' as I was set to dislike it and yet it grew on me (no pun intended!). R.I.P., John Sullivan.