Options

Why is Adele so popular?

124»

Comments

• Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    It's all down to personal taste, I suppose. If you don't particular like Adele's music of course you are going to be puzzled about how she is so successful. But it's not rocket science. 2.5 million people in the UK so far liked her music enough to buy her album. But, on the contrary, almost 60 million people in the UK haven't bought the album yet so she's not THAT popular, lol. Similarly she may have sold 7 million albums worldwide in less than 6 months but that means 6,768,235,000 people haven't bought '21'! many of them probably aren't keen either, lol.

We just have to accept that we all have different taste (if we didn't what would the charts look like???).I mean, I just don't rate acts like Cheryl Cole, Kesha, Katy Perry, BEP etc but i'm not upset/bothered enough to start a thread as to why other people like them just because I don't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    That's a good point. However my mum's a Westlife fan but I don't think she likes Adele's music, so maybe it's not all of them but some of them.

my mum actually shocked me by saying Adele was boring :eek:

one of those stereotypical people who thinks most of the X-Factor is amazing, then gets bored by the music and wants to see who the next star will be. Personally I think she's got a good voice but after listening to the album a few months ago, it's just boring to me

I don't exactly like that genre of music but I don't really understand all this "it's a modern classic" when I could probably name 10-15 albums out this year I've bought that are miles better than it. Most of them are rock/punk albums that don't really do much in this country though, Adele appeals to the general crowd so that's why it's sold millions of copies worldwide

the only really unique song on the album is Rollin' In The Deep which actually is a really good song and being the first track the album it then turns into the usual boring stuff featuring somebody with a good voice. Not really her fault that she's sold that much or gained so much critical reponse but I think it's far too overrated by too many people
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    miss_zelda wrote: »
    Adele makes me cringe when she tries to hit the top notes. It just sounds horrendous. If she would stop doing the whole Christina Aguilera warbling thing and sing more interesting songs I would understand her popularity. I can't remember which song it was she was torturing but she sung live on the radio recently and the girl just could not sing in tune on the high parts. It was bloody awful.

She was in tune, you just didn't think she was. There's a difference. Do you think they'd let her sing out of tune?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    konebyvax wrote: »
    It's all down to personal taste, I suppose. If you don't particular like Adele's music of course you are going to be puzzled about how she is so successful. But it's not rocket science. 2.5 million people in the UK so far liked her music enough to buy her album. But, on the contrary, almost 60 million people in the UK haven't bought the album yet so she's not THAT popular, lol. Similarly she may have sold 7 million albums worldwide in less than 6 months but that means 6,768,235,000 people haven't bought '21'! many of them probably aren't keen either, lol.

We just have to accept that we all have different taste (if we didn't what would the charts look like???).I mean, I just don't rate acts like Cheryl Cole, Kesha, Katy Perry, BEP etc but i'm not upset/bothered enough to start a thread as to why other people like them just because I don't.

Oh come on, don't be stupid. If you're gonna prove a point be reasonable. There are over 60 million people in the UK; not every one of these has the potential to buy the album, when you take into account all the young children, elderly, poor population etc. Same with the worldwide number; there are BILLIONS of people who can't even get clean water, let along buy Adele's album...
  • Options
    VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JakeM641 wrote: »
    Oh come on, don't be stupid. If you're gonna prove a point be reasonable. There are over 60 million people in the UK; not every one of these has the potential to buy the album, when you take into account all the young children, elderly, poor population etc. Same with the worldwide number; there are BILLIONS of people who can't even get clean water, let along buy Adele's album...

When "Someone like you" comes on the radio next time I may momentarily wish I was one of those people before I change stations.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Vennegoor wrote: »
    When "Someone like you" comes on the radio next time I may momentarily wish I was one of those people before I change stations.

lmfaoooo :')
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member

Wwwwwooooooossssshhhhhh.......:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Harry RedknappHarry Redknapp Posts: 4,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has cross over appeal that's why she has had huge success.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    ': wrote:
    Hannah;51015375']Yes they do but I didn't think her music would appeal to them. Little children listen to a lot of music too but not stuff that Adele has brought out. However lots of middle aged people seem to like her.

Hard to know really. Maybe a lot of middle aged people like her because her music could be seen as "easy listening". My mum can't stand her though and strangely enough she likes a lot of the stuff I'm into as well as her own tastes. She even likes Lady Gaga!
    Someone earlier said 'Adele is a return to the way music should be.. a singer standing alone at a mic, no crap around them and singing from the heart.'... Not gonna lie, I have so much hatred for people with this attitude. Complete music snobbery at its best. Personally, I couldn't think of anything worse than going to a music gig and just standing there listening to someone; I prefer to be getting involved, jumping dancing etc, singing along, gasping at all the stage theatrics or staging, then there are also the couple of slower songs where there is time to just take it in and listen.

I thought that type of music went out the window in the 70s/80s? I saw some old TOTP clips on BBC4 one night from the 60s and that was the type of music they were showing. I agree about being able to dance etc at a music gig. I like shows with a bit of energy!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    tbh, I'm more interested in the mechanics behind Adele's success.
    I really didn't know who she was until a few months ago, yet it appeared that the rest of the country was in full scale Adele mania. How did that happen?:confused: I don't recall her being on telly every five minutes, nor having endless threads created by street-teams, sorry, fans:p, for her support on forums, so I'm a bit unsure how she has tapped into this large audience.

I'm not saying by any means that her success isn't deserved, just curious to know how she got to being so popular, as I should imagine there are plenty of talented singer/songwriters out there equally as good as her who are going unrecognised.
  • Options
    Exp£o$ionExp£o$ion Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    She appeals to over 40s bracket (and under 40 as well im sure) but a lot of songs are about going to clubs or dance pop which doesn't really target this age group well at all. Is a bit different from recent edgier artists who have dominated the charts more recently and has a very good voice (not my type of music tho but can respect her good singing ability)