I found some war time love letters in a clearance shop,advice please?

Comments

• RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Why on earth would you come on here and make such a bold and clear statement, when the reality of your position is entirely the opposite? You've just been outed as an enthusiastic supporter of the story. :rolleyes:

What the hell's going on today? Is this "Schizophrenic Sunday" or something?

Perhaps I'll suddenly remember that I'm one of the original letter writers and I'm not dead after all. ;)

It's no big deal, I simply forgot what I said back then and looking at it now, it's a story that I would never believe these days, after becoming cynical from reading so many fake stories. That's all there is to it.

Save your sarcasm for the person who admitted to creating three accounts.
  • Fireball XL5Fireball XL5 Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ I doubt if even my 84 year old mother would suffer from such amazing forgetfulness. You posted in this thread 23 times. Sheesh! :D
    Forum Member
    ^^^ I doubt if even my 84 year old mother would suffer from such amazing forgetfulness. You posted in this thread 23 times. Sheesh! :D
    So what? It's from 3 years ago, it's not something I've ever thought of from that day to this.

Again, I MADE A MISTAKE, that's all there is to it.

I've also made almost 29,000 posts - do you expect me to remember each and every one of those, word perfect, too?
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    So what? It's from 3 years ago, it's not something I've ever thought of from that day to this.

Again, I MADE A MISTAKE, that's all there is to it.

Sadly your not allowed to make a mistake on DS because there are people out there who will never let you live it down and will doubt every single post you make , or so Ive heard !
  • alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what? Someone's just dredged up a post I made eons ago in showbiz about the size of Simon Cowell's penis. Prior to that, I would have sworn on my mother's life I never commented on such a thing:o

Radiomaniac is entitled to forget, it was a long time ago, and 23 posts in such a lengthy thread are nothing, what about the people who posted every day, clocking up dozens upon dozens of posts?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LaineyT wrote: »
    there are people out there who will never let you live it down and will doubt every single post you make , or so Ive heard !
    From your sister?
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's really sad that people disbelieve this story and so many straight from the off. Of course the OP was a bit of a daft ha'porth revealing she had 3 accounts but by goodness, the detail and intricacies of the story and how it unfolded would have been an immense task to fabricate (although not impossible I realise!).

Of course some stories ring alarm bells straight away, but I like to think that most FMs in the advice section are pretty straight up and honest and genuinely seeking advice.

I've been here for years and while more cynical than in the past, I don't immediately dismiss most threads out of hand - maybe I'm too trusting?!
    Forum Member
    So what? Someone's just dredged up a post I made eons ago in showbiz about the size of Simon Cowell's penis. Prior to that, I would have sworn on my mother's life I never commented on such a thing:o

Radiomaniac is entitled to forget, it was a long time ago, and 23 posts in such a lengthy thread are nothing, what about the people who posted every day, clocking up dozens upon dozens of posts?
    Thank you. :)
  • alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you. :)
    I'd rather have posted in here than on the Simon Cowell thread;):D
    Forum Member
    From your sister?

I know my sister isnt lieing about the letters...I know she bought them on holiday in Bala....I know she read them and being the sort of girl she is would want to return them to the family... I know she went to a lot of trouble to get the letters returned to the right family. I know a lot of people on here helped her find the family its was easy enough with GR . I know she went to the Scandinavian church in Liverpool because the couple used that church to pray. I know she didnt lie about talking to somebody there who knew the couple and the family...I know because I was with her...

What I dont get is and back to JoniMM ...if she knew the couple and the family why didnt she say something 18months ago when my sister first started the thread about it??
    Shes willing to call my sister a liar on here and everyone believes JoniMM but doesnt believe my sister?? Christ my sister is that honest she ever said she had 3 ids on here and thats not just to post crap on here it was for family reasons. If you dont want to beleive me or my sister fair enough just dont keep saying what she posted was a load of lies thats all I ask.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know my sister isnt lieing about the letters...I know she bought them on holiday in Bala....I know she read them and being the sort of girl she is would want to return them to the family... I know she went to a lot of trouble to get the letters returned to the right family. I know a lot of people on here helped her find the family its was easy enough with GR . I know she went to the Scandinavian church in Liverpool because the couple used that church to pray. I know she didnt lie about talking to somebody there who knew the couple and the family...I know because I was with her...

What I dont get is and back to JoniMM ...if she knew the couple and the family why didnt she say something 18months ago when my sister first started the thread about it??
    Shes willing to call my sister a liar on here and everyone believes JoniMM but doesnt believe my sister?? Christ my sister is that honest she ever said she had 3 ids on here and thats not just to post crap on here it was for family reasons. If you dont want to beleive me or my sister fair enough just dont keep saying what she posted was a load of lies thats all I ask.
    Probably because doxing is bad form.

I'll continue to be a staunch non believer and posted once only that I thought she was trolling (and quite spectacularly, so well done there!!!). I'll reiterate that once more and you'll hear no more on the subject from me.
  • SecretSmilerSecretSmiler Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just read the thread start to finish

i dont see how she could have made it up, she stated the names and others dug about and found correlations

i think its a nice story :) and well done to OP for taking such trouble
  • Fireball XL5Fireball XL5 Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SecretSmiler? Smiling Angel? Hmmmm. ;):D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    I remember this thread.....read it from start to finish one night....I'am more inclined to believe the OP and her sister rather than someone who claims to know the recipients of the letters and has suddenly become very conspicuous by their absence....hopefully they'll return tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember this thread.....read it from start to finish one night....I for one am more inclined to believ the OP and her sister rather than someone who claims to know the recipients of the letters and has suddenly become very conspicuous by their absence....hopefully they'll return tomorrow.
    I've only very rarely seen Joni M post outside night time hours, so on the basis of that alone, I doubt she's lurking and wondering what or how to post in response.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember this thread.....read it from start to finish one night....I for one am more inclined to believ the OP and her sister rather than someone who claims to know the recipients of the letters and has suddenly become very conspicuous by their absence....hopefully they'll return tomorrow.

Me too. Far too much detail included for it to be a wind up imo. Why the poster in question has suddenly decided to call the OP out as a liar now is anyone's guess, and you'd think if she knew the family as she claims she does she'd have mentioned it three years ago;)
    Forum Member
    I've only very rarely seen Joni M post outside night time hours, so on the basis of that alone, I doubt she's lurking and wondering what or how to post in response.

Cheers.....I'll make a point of checking the thread out tomorrow when I get home from work....should be interesting!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers.....I'll make a point of checking the thread out tomorrow when I get home from work....should be interesting!!!!
    I'll have a look in later. I have wasted an entire day on DS now :o
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too. Far too much detail included for it to be a wind up imo. Why the poster in question has suddenly decided to call the OP out as a liar now is anyone's guess, and you'd think if she knew the family as she claims she does she'd have mentioned it three years ago;)

She mentioned that she knew the church and PM'd with an offer to help. I'm guessing that she didn't want to put anymore RL info out there.

The 'sister' has since turned up and says that she lives in Liverpool too, just like the alleged grandaughter...............
    Forum Member
    I'll have a look in later. I have wasted an entire day on DS now :o

I know the feeling....done it myself a few times in the past.
    Forum Member
    She mentioned that she knew the church and PM'd with an offer to help. I'm guessing that she didn't want to put anymore RL info out there.

The 'sister' has since turned up and says that she lives in Liverpool too, just like the alleged grandaughter...............

I was born in Salford.....married a scouser so thats why I live in Liverpool. Whats that got to do with anything Feet??? The couple lived in Liverpool all their married lives....but the letters were found in Bala North Wales??
  • lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    There were a lot of posts removed from this thread, if my memory is correct. I didn't post but followed it at the time. I also became a cynic, but can't now remember exactly why.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was born in Salford.....married a scouser so thats why I live in Liverpool. Whats that got to do with anything Feet??? The couple lived in Liverpool all their married lives....but the letters were found in Bala North Wales??

Perhaps Joni didn't want to out her RL info to a random off the internet who appeared to know all about her local church

That's what it has to do with it, do keep up.
    Forum Member
    Perhaps Joni didn't want to out her RL info to a random off the internet who appeared to know all about her local church

That's what it has to do with it, do keep up.

If Joni knew the family as she said why didnt she save a lot of people a lot of time by saying she knew them and she would get in touch with them ?? A lot of people helped my sister to find the family with Genes Reunited and sites like that. But she just sat there read the posts and thought ????. Then to say that my sister is a liar and the family knew nothing about the letters ...well we can prove we arnt lieing can Joni say the same thing???
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Joni knew the family as she said why didnt she save a lot of people a lot of time by saying she knew them and she would get in touch with them ?? A lot of people helped my sister to find the family with Genes Reunited and sites like that. But she just sat there read the posts and thought ????. Then to say that my sister is a liar and the family knew nothing about the letters ...well we can prove we arnt lieing can Joni say the same thing???

How many times

Quuite early on Joni PM'd the OP to say she knew the church and could help. That PM appears to have been ignored.