Gastric Bands (Fern and Anne!)

Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
Forum Member
What is going on? We were told gastric bands worked and yet both Fern Britton has put a large part of her weight back on and Anne Diamond never actually lost that much weight! Yet both of them have had gastric band surgery and Anne advertises them on her webpage!!! So is it back to cal counting and exercise!!!??????

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm trying to lose weight at the moment and so far all I've needed to do is eat less. I find actual exercise difficult due to health problems but cutting down my food intake is working very well so far. I'm not starving myself, just eating much more sensibly. It's taking an incredible amount of will power but I'm determined to sort myself out for good (I've been a yo-yo weight loser/gainer for years).

Gastric bands seem like a quick fix but not a long term solution to weight problems. Like putting a plaster on a wound, but the plaster alone isn't enough to heal it.

I still reel at the way Fern behaved after her secret was leaked.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know someone who did the Zone diet and lost 3 stone in 4 months and they complained they couldn't keep up with the amount of food they had to eat. It's a great diet and it's about portions of protien,carbs and fat .. Per day each person .. You have to work out your exact portions but it's easy once you do
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw Fern on the SCD preview and though she hasn't exactly piled it on, she's certainly weightier than she was.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Probably haven't kept up the lifestyle change. Eat healthy, exercise more. Has to be a long term plan.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's why plans like WeightWatchers and Slimming World are so much more successful long term. Because they educate you about how to eat going forward rather than going for a qucik fix.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    That's why plans like WeightWatchers and Slimming World are so much more successful long term. Because they educate you about how to eat going forward rather than going for a qucik fix.

I so agree. Lost 15 kilos with Weightwatchers and I must say I have kept it off for a whole year and find that I still watch what I eat and know a lot more about portion control, etc. With Weightwatchers you actually get quite a lot to eat and I find it easy to fit into my life. I think the gastric band became so popular because so many celebs took that route and Fern looked amazing when the weight fell off. Everyone wants a quick fix and there isn't one. It is portion control, exercise and a positive attitude about keeping the weight off. People just do not want to know that it takes a bit of effort and work to achieve a healthy weight.

I do not know a lot about the gastric band but has Fern removed her band to allow her to eat more as she has definitely put an awful lot of her weight back on! How does that work???
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,933
    Forum Member
    Didn't Fern have a lucartive contract at the time advertising what was regarded as a slimming product, could have motivated her to shed a few kilos?
  • pink15pink15 Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    The whole thing about gastric bands is that you are always still eating as much as you possibly can - you are just physically restricted as to the amount you can eat. You do not just wake up one day "cured" of your need to overeat. Unfortunately when you push the boundaries of the band the effects are massively unpleasant. Then after a while these effects become impossible to live with - by this stage you are slim so think it will be ok to have the band loosened to make eating less unpleasant. As you are not "cured" you still eat as much as you possibly can but without as much physical restriction - therefore gain weight back.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about Dawn French? I believe she had a gastric bypass op though rather than a gastric band.

All of these types of surgery carry a big risk of gastro-intestinal problems afterwards and a large proportion of people do regain weight.

Fern is looking very much chunkier these days.

To the person who asked - it is possible to have some saline solution removed from the gastric band which then enables you to eat a bit more. If people gain too much weight then they go and have more saline put back in. What a way to live hey?
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alison Hammond had a gastric band fitted and it didn't work.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    Just read an article on the ex-Corrie star who went down from a size 18 to a size 4 in three months! Now she is a size 16. So bored with all these celebs milking as much money as possible making Diet DVDs only to regain a lot, if not all the weight back. Coleen Nolan made THREE and then blew up again. The EastEnders actress who plays Kat did the same thing, all over the media with her "new body" only to regain a lot of the weight. When will the public learn there is no quick fix to weightloss? It seems these celebs only shift the weight when approached by a company who want to make a Dieting and Exercise DVD and they run to the back with the fortune they make but put the whole lot back on when the team leaves and they are left on their own to cope. Michele McManus is another one!!
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want a gastric band, I'm disgusting
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jumbobones wrote: »

There is a really supportive diet thread over in the DS Advice forum. Many of the posters have lost huge amounts of weight so it can be done Jumbobones.
  • pink15pink15 Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Jumbobones wrote: »

forget the band - go for a bypass :)