Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    Power came on last night! I'm home! Today, we are having another northeast'n (with snow).

Hey, Marchrand, I meant to tell you I'm so happy for you that your power came on. I saw an interview on NBC this morning in which they were in a woman's home, in the semi-dark (lit by the camera lights). She was talking about being without power for 9 days and said the biggest problem is the cold and then suddenly, just after she said that, the lights came on. It was cool. I remember going without power in the heavy heat of the summer after we had a derecho (which I had never heard of) here in 2003. I was without power for 14 days and when the power finally came on I'm sure my reaction was amusing. Also, most importantly, I'm glad you came through it safely. Now, stay warm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahoy one and all!

Doc Martin Online is celebrating over 1 MILLION visitors to the site. Just goes to show just HOW MANY fans there are all over the world. :eek::eek::D

Hope everyone is well - please enjoy the interview with Colin Towns, and the small tweaks on the site.

Working on it while I can, whilst juggling work in the Philippines, Hong Kong and China (of course - this year has been CRAZY).

Rock on!

DR

Wow! Excellent interview.

I found it fascinating that Colin said his style of scoring a scene is pretty much intuitive, not wanting to overthink it. This works. I've noticed in numerous rewatches that there are times when DM & LG are apart and, in their encounters, there is no music. But then there will come a scene in which they're still apart, but we see yearning in their faces or we sense it in their body language and we briefly hear the love theme. This happened once, I think, in S4 and once in S5. Sure enough, in the next ep or the next, they were back together. But the music doesn't intrude. It adds to what we're already seeing on screen.

Thanks SO MUCH for this interview. And for the wonderful website too.

Biff

P.S. You said you've been spending time in China. Have you been in Shanghai? Just wondered because I spent some time there a couple of years ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To all you British fans who were regular contributors and have since taken to the sidelines, I think about you often. I hope that you will come back on board soon. The DM series is yours and we are given the privilege of seeing it all over the world, thanks to modern technology.

That's so true. I so wish I had been here through the years of discussion. I initially only went back to the very beginning of the DM forum and found it a little slow. But as I've found the time since then to continue on through the years of posts I've found myself grieving for the lack of participation from so many people, especially those in the UK, who have special insight into this show, who have been with it from the beginning, who have watched filming and met the cast, who have over the years given so much to the group. I hope as we get closer to S6 filming we'll see you return.

There are some FUNNY people out there, for one thing, and apparently Doc Martini's (someone send me the ingredients, or is it just a regular martini?), that makes me hope you're all still out there and just waiting for 2013.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Maybe he will come there. Maybe one day we'll come to the forum to find you calmly telling us you ran into Martin Clunes. Calmly, I said.

Camly? No, I don't think that's quite how it would go :o

So, tonight I think I have found another location and getting closer on another one. After watching a couple of scenes, I started to become convinced that Mark Mylow's S2 house is just a couple doors up the hill from Louisa's S2 house. Looking at the satellite view, I think I can see the parking pad right across from his house. So I have been looking online to see if there are any pictures posted of Rose Hill that can give me a positive ID. While looking at the Google images I came across a cottage that caught my eye. It is the one that DM and Al walk by when they are going to see Stuart destroying the birdhouses. Turns out it is a holiday cottage called Brook Edge on Middle St. Alas, Middle St doesn't have street view, so I went to a spot on Church Hill that has an opening so you can see a short stretch of Middle St. Would you believe that Brook Edge is right there? So now I have a good idea of where the houses are on the hill above. I'll post some stuff tomorrow.
  • kernow19kernow19 Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Camly? No, I don't think that's quite how it would go :o

So, tonight I think I have found another location and getting closer on another one. After watching a couple of scenes, I started to become convinced that Mark Mylow's S2 house is just a couple doors up the hill from Louisa's S2 house. Looking at the satellite view, I think I can see the parking pad right across from his house. So I have been looking online to see if there are any pictures posted of Rose Hill that can give me a positive ID. While looking at the Google images I came across a cottage that caught my eye. It is the one that DM and Al walk by when they are going to see Stuart destroying the birdhouses. Turns out it is a holiday cottage called Brook Edge on Middle St. Alas, Middle St doesn't have street view, so I went to a spot on Church Hill that has an opening so you can see a short stretch of Middle St. Would you believe that Brook Edge is right there? So now I have a good idea of where the houses are on the hill above. I'll post some stuff tomorrow.

http://www.brookedge.co.uk/id5.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This weekend if you have time watch:
    s2 ep 5 "Always on My Mind"
    Director: Ben Bolt
    Writer: Richard Stoneman

Martin examines Helen Pratt, but she collapses and dies. Her husband, Phil, is angry with the doctor and blames him for his wife's death. A feud develops between Phil and Helen's long-time friend Joan after Phil becomes convinced that Joan knew something secret about him. Joan encourages Martin to explain the circumstances of Helen's death to Phil, having previously been extremely cold and insensitive following her death. Pauline begins training to become a member of the lifeboat crew, flirting with her instructor, Ross, in the process, causing Al to become jealous.
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Hey, Marchrand, I meant to tell you I'm so happy for you that your power came on. I saw an interview on NBC this morning in which they were in a woman's home, in the semi-dark (lit by the camera lights). She was talking about being without power for 9 days and said the biggest problem is the cold and then suddenly, just after she said that, the lights came on. It was cool. I remember going without power in the heavy heat of the summer after we had a derecho (which I had never heard of) here in 2003. I was without power for 14 days and when the power finally came on I'm sure my reaction was amusing. Also, most importantly, I'm glad you came through it safely. Now, stay warm.

Thanks for your caring concern. The whole story was my son & daughter kept telephoning up to the fourth day of no power and my voice started to go, so that's when they decided to kidnap me to stay at daughter's. Not only was the house cold, but my stove (cooker) was electric so I was eating cold food, neighbors unware of this. On the 4th day, upon hearing of my plight, one neighbor brought me homemade hot veg. beef soup and it was heaven, followed by another who brought me hot tea and homemade pumpkin soup and my next door neighbor had me over for a hot lunch. I was able to arrange for the insurance claim rep. to come here to give an estimate, even though I was absent from home as all the damage was outside. I also arranged for a roofer-gutter person to come. Mind you, as the power was out the answering machines couldn't receive the messages at his end. Fortunately, when I called him, his message on the answering machine gave his e-mail address so that's how we conversed back & forth. I believe I have a tree man lined up. When I went to my daughter's (son with us as they live a few blocks apart), my son took me to one of those walk-in clinics near him. They had no power, so you walked in, the two receiptionists were there in winter coats and gloves taking down my ins. info. by hand in gloves as computers were not working. There were 3 doctors available with long white coats (shades of Pauline!) and were wearing mittens! (mmDerdekea - you would appreciate this!) I couldn't get a chest x-ray as no power. I had bronchitus & filled a prescription.
    August, 2011, my town was one of the hardest hit in the state by Hurricane Irene, we are an old town with a small river running through a part of it, near there are many old beautiful Victorian, Queen Anne homes that were flooded by that storm, it was heartbreaking. We had lost power then and I managed as the weather was warm but not hot. The only problem I had was there is a grate in the floor in the cellar, I am assuming to remove the waste water to go underground to the street. I kept checking the basement and then all of a sudden all this water was coming up from this grate, but it wasn't sewer water, it was someone's washing machine waste water!! and it wasn't mine as I had not run a load in two previous days. As my surrounding neighbors had their own problems with no power, I managed on my own mopping up the floor for a week. I did lose the contents of my refrig. as my neighbor had not as yet bought a generator for his home so he could not offer me to put an extension cord from his generator over the fence. With Hurricane Sandy he was ready. And, by the way, why do they name hurricanes with such soft, wispy names? If you are in the path of one of these storms you need a more forceful name to match the devistation it causes.
    I appreciate this forum to vent, even though it's completely off topic of Doc Martin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your caring concern. The whole story was my son & daughter kept telephoning up to the fourth day of no power and my voice started to go, so that's when they decided to kidnap me to stay at daughter's. Not only was the house cold, but my stove (cooker) was electric so I was eating cold food, neighbors unware of this. On the 4th day, upon hearing of my plight, one neighbor brought me homemade hot veg. beef soup and it was heaven, followed by another who brought me hot tea and homemade pumpkin soup and my next door neighbor had me over for a hot lunch. I was able to arrange for the insurance claim rep. to come here to give an estimate, even though I was absent from home as all the damage was outside. I also arranged for a roofer-gutter person to come. Mind you, as the power was out the answering machines couldn't receive the messages at his end. Fortunately, when I called him, his message on the answering machine gave his e-mail address so that's how we conversed back & forth. I believe I have a tree man lined up. When I went to my daughter's (son with us as they live a few blocks apart), my son took me to one of those walk-in clinics near him. They had no power, so you walked in, the two receiptionists were there in winter coats and gloves taking down my ins. info. by hand in gloves as computers were not working. There were 3 doctors available with long white coats (shades of Pauline!) and were wearing mittens! (mmDerdekea - you would appreciate this!) I couldn't get a chest x-ray as no power. I had bronchitus & filled a prescription.
    August, 2011, my town was one of the hardest hit in the state by Hurricane Irene, we are an old town with a small river running through a part of it, near there are many old beautiful Victorian, Queen Anne homes that were flooded by that storm, it was heartbreaking. We had lost power then and I managed as the weather was warm but not hot. The only problem I had was there is a grate in the floor in the cellar, I am assuming to remove the waste water to go underground to the street. I kept checking the basement and then all of a sudden all this water was coming up from this grate, but it wasn't sewer water, it was someone's washing machine waste water!! and it wasn't mine as I had not run a load in two previous days. As my surrounding neighbors had their own problems with no power, I managed on my own mopping up the floor for a week. I did lose the contents of my refrig. as my neighbor had not as yet bought a generator for his home so he could not offer me to put an extension cord from his generator over the fence. With Hurricane Sandy he was ready. And, by the way, why do they name hurricanes with such soft, wispy names? If you are in the path of one of these storms you need a more forceful name to match the devistation it causes.
    I appreciate this forum to vent, even though it's completely off topic of Doc Martin.

You've really been through the wringer, twice! It's nice, though, to hear your heartwarming stories of neighbors and family coming to the rescue. I hope your next few years are nice and calm and uneventful.

How about Hurricane Martin? Or Edith or Eleanor?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh my gosh marchrand! That sounds really horrible! Sounds like you are a bit too stubborn - glad to see that your son and daughter decided to take things in hand. Very caring children you have there. Is you house very close to the ocean? I have never been to that part of NJ, but after the storm I was doing some Google street view wandering and it looks like a lovely place to live.

Take care of yourself! That's an order!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kernow19 wrote: »

Thanks kernow. That's actually the website I landed on when I found the picture online. See the metal piece attached to the house that says "Brook Edge"? That is what I saw in the video of that scene - although I couldn't read what it said. I always figured it would help me identify the spot one day :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hurricane Tracey hit Darwin, Australia in 1975. I thought that was a great name for it cos when I was 9 I went to a birthday party in a dress and The birthday girl "Tracey" helped me onto a horse and pushed me right over and off the horse. I was mortified and remember it clearly even now,

Danny, Elinor, Margaret, Chris or Lucy would all be good hurricane names. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Hurricane Tracey hit Darwin, Australia in 1975. I thought that was a great name for it cos when I was 9 I went to a birthday party in a dress and The birthday girl "Tracey" helped me onto a horse and pushed me right over and off the horse. I was mortified and remember it clearly even now,

Danny, Elinor, Margaret, Chris or Lucy would all be good hurricane names. :rolleyes:

Edith. Just saying.
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love your suggestions for future storms.:D No, I am not near the ocean but am inland, northern part, one hour to N.Y.C. and about 1 and a 1/2 hours to the Jersey shore--eastern part of the state. Interesting, the names for the 2012 winter storms (nor'eastern--I finally got spelling right) are Greek. We had Athena, coming across U.S. now coming is Brutus, next is Caesar. Now, that's what I call storm names. I hope anyone who is named Sandy or Irene didn't take offense to my calling them soft and wispy. They are beautiful names for females but entirely inappropriate for violent storms.
    Now, let's get back to the Doc Martin Series!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Edith. Just saying.

I guess. But she did a lot in terms of filling in DM backstory and moving the plot along in a non-contrived way. :)
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »

I vote for Margaret and/or Chris.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is probably "known" but here is a great MC interview speaking about DM and horses, etc. This was aired just before S5 premiered in the UK. He does spill the beans on several surprises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuR2knZuzB4&feature=related
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found out that MC was spotted @ Dauphine Street - 1 block from Bourbon St. The guy responded to me on Twitter just a while ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In S2 - Episode 3, Victor Flint (Wallace and Paddy's dad) was played by Nicholas Woodeson. He had a small part in the James Bond movie "Skyfall" playing Doctor Hall who gets to do a word association test on agent 007.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been traveling a lot and behind watching the episodes. Just watched S2E4.

Caroline's diabetes is called Latent Auto-Immune Diabetes of the Adult; an auto-immune condition similar to the type 1 diabetes of the pediatric patient, but it tends to come on from ages 35-55 usually, which fits Caroline's 40 y/o-ish age (we hear from Pauline). We learn Caroline got thrush five times in the last 23 weeks. That is a very uncommon condition in the adult, and usually heralds something rather serious occurring. Since she's had the condition for around 6 months, that fits exactly with the slower onset type of auto-immune disease seen in a LADA picture.

The nasty emotional outbursts are not that intense, generally, although mood swings can occur.

DM was actually very patient and accommodating in this episode. As mentioned, he was very good to Mr. Cook, and I think Mr. Cook's admittance of his odor and his apologies for it really reached DM. I'm not sure why Caroline would have refused so long to see DM and get some care; her excessive thirst and need for urination, her weight loss (inferred by LG during their brief meeting), and such usually sends a person, especially women, who become patients easier than men (as a general rule), to the doc. Why she was resistant, especially as she felt worse and worse, makes us believe that in her personality, Caroline is indeed a very difficult person on her good, healthy days. Her husband alludes to that in the hospital. I'm not sure she is very likeable but with her and LG and Danny all chatting in her hospital room, we are supposed to believe she is back to herself.

Ironically, alcohol LOWERS the blood sugar, so it would have been helpful for Caroline to drink. DM is patient with her, too, and makes no snide comments, even at the police station as it appears clear he is quite medically concerned with her health.

DM even gives Mark a positive statement, which Mark would usually really love to hear, but his being rejected by Julie was over-taking him at that moment.

We also see another annoying patient who comes with a bacterial illness, gets a round of antibiotics and apparently comes the next day to say he still has the problem. What adult doesn't know to wait until the meds are taken? PW villagers really can be ridiculously obnoxious at times!

Last, it was interesting to see the DM/LG problem with communicating on his patio. LG comes seeking advice, and DM does give her some good bits--if your friend is drinking too much, don't go drinking with them, instead of LG's odd idea of limiting Caroline to an amount which does not exceed the limits of alcoholism. In this round of bickering, I really vote DM was in the right, and LG was the main antagonist. Note of course, LG listens to him and just serves Caroline water, and of course her meeting with Caroline becomes fractious because, as DM warned, Caroline was not seeking help with her drinking.

Plot lapse--does Mr. Cook really take a bath with that carryall tight against his chest? One would think that would be put down in another room and then when he was washed, he would not smell. Or, he would not smell in his bed, with the case elsewhere as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    I found out that MC was spotted @ Dauphine Street - 1 block from Bourbon St. The guy responded to me on Twitter just a while ago.

Thanks for the info. Wish I was there.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »

Last, it was interesting to see the DM/LG problem with communicating on his patio. LG comes seeking advice, and DM does give her some good bits--if your friend is drinking too much, don't go drinking with them, instead of LG's odd idea of limiting Caroline to an amount which does not exceed the limits of alcoholism. In this round of bickering, I really vote DM was in the right, and LG was the main antagonist. Note of course, LG listens to him and just serves Caroline water, and of course her meeting with Caroline becomes fractious because, as DM warned, Caroline was not seeking help with her drinking.

Plot lapse--does Mr. Cook really take a bath with that carryall tight against his chest? One would think that would be put down in another room and then when he was washed, he would not smell. Or, he would not smell in his bed, with the case elsewhere as well.

Good to see you back, Mona.

About that doorstep conversation -- it really seems to me another example of Louisa taking the initiative in the relationship and trying to make a connection with DM, and the wish to consult him about how much alcohol intake is too much for someone with a drinking problem is more or less a rationalization for her being there. DM of course, being unable to recognize this ploy for what it is, (and few men would,I think, apologies to Robspace) frustrates her once again. She lashes out, he stomps off. Goodness, I hope S6 shows them learning how to deal with each other better!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member

I think the smell was emanating only from Mr. Cook's bag, but because he always had it with him, the assumption was that he was the stinky one. I imagine the odor from a rotting carcass would permeate throughout his house, sheets, clothes, upholstery, etc. Yuck!:eek:
  • lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member

Caroline's diabetes is called Latent Auto-Immune Diabetes of the Adult; an auto-immune condition similar to the type 1 ....

Thanks for the analysis. It makes me think the show is a little more grounded medically than I had given it credit for. I also enjoyed you analysis of the DM - LG interaction on Caroline's drinking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the smell was emanating only from Mr. Cook's bag, but because he always had it with him, the assumption was that he was the stinky one. I imagine the odor from a rotting carcass would permeate throughout his house, sheets, clothes, upholstery, etc. Yuck!:eek:

Thanks, NewPark!

I see your point of view, DCcurlygirl. I suppose I am focusing too much on the story line logic. I mean, if he puts the bag down in the living room and then goes to the loo, one would focus the smell more on the bag, and less on him, you would think. Once Mr. Cook leaves it seems his odor leaves the surgery, though. Also, it is odd that he apparently never opened the bag until he was looking for some matches, considering poor Freddie died WEEKS ago.

One other medical point--with someone in diabetic ketoacidosis, you would inject insulin intramuscularly, not sub-Q. DM says he's injecting Sub-Q but then apparently injects into the top of her shoulder blade which would be more IM. I know that no one else cares about this, so just skip over and move on! There are much more interesting comments to read!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    About that doorstep conversation -- it really seems to me another example of Louisa taking the initiative in the relationship and trying to make a connection with DM, and the wish to consult him about how much alcohol intake is too much for someone with a drinking problem is more or less a rationalization for her being there. DM of course, being unable to recognize this ploy for what it is, (and few men would,I think, apologies to Robspace) frustrates her once again. She lashes out, he stomps off. Goodness, I hope S6 shows them learning how to deal with each other better!

I still say that the direction this conversation took had a lot to do with Martin's hurt feelings over Danny. He started the morning hearing Danny's voice on his radio and was annoyed by it (called him a Tosser out loud). After a rough day with Julie's first visit, smelly Mr Cooke (twice!) and Caroline, he runs into Danny on his way to the grocers and then sees the way Louisa greets him and is dismayed to see how close they appear. On the way out of the shop there they are again - and there is Mark with the pretty girl in his car.

I think that Louisa showing up on his doorstep is only minutes later because he is throwing the dog out (dog rushed by as he was coming in the door with his shopping?). So he seems to be a bit fragile as he begins the conversation. I think he looks a bit petulant as he ends the conversation by the way he walks away with his hands behind his back.
This discussion has been closed.