Richard lll : The King in the Carpark C4 Monday

Comments

• starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked her enthusiasm. Yeh she was a bit silly at times, but at least she cared about it and it was like we were dealing with real people rather than a schoolmaster. You even had an archaelogist inadvertently put a hole through the skull. I liked the realism.
  • RyJaRyJa Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Libitina wrote: »
    I was really looking forward to watching this, but she totally ruined it for me and I didn't finish the programme. Stupid woman! :mad:

Shame - it was a thoroughly good programme - she was just extremely odd ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    RyJa wrote: »
    Shame - it was a thoroughly good programme - she was just extremely odd ;)

I also enjoyed the programme...although it could and should have been a lot better...A time team special would have been more appropriate...As for Phillipa...well without her initial research and fund raising, Richard III would undoubtedly have remained buried under a car park until Tesco shoved a load of £££ in the direction of Leicester City Council to secure planning permission for yet another Super or convenience store
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The lady from the Ricardian society got the ball rolling anyway and voila! Richard was found.

I thought the whole programme was fascinating - Richard was rather handsome then even if there is a cloud over him about the princes in the Tower.
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starry wrote: »
    I liked her enthusiasm. Yeh she was a bit silly at times, but at least she cared about it and it was like we were dealing with real people rather than a schoolmaster. You even had an archaelogist inadvertently put a hole through the skull. I liked the realism.

That is a really nice way to put it. I have joined in with the micky taking here but - I admit you are absolutely right. Richard, whatever historians may say, was human and whenever you see historical human remains exhumed from some place in other docus there is a sense of respect (in fact the professor who recreated his face was on a series where they built the faces of anonymous people and it was always a hushed moment of reverence when the "person" was revealed). Philippa really saw her beloved Richard in those bones, that was for a scientist difficult to empathise with.

It is interesting that many Ricardians are women. They fall in love with the idea that a good king should be so terribly maligned and have mud splattered all over his reputation when actually he was innocent. It's the mother instinct probably but the borderline mother / lover thing is phenomenal. They love him, want to protect him, want to resurrect his good name. Cry tears over him. It has a life of its own this thing.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,474
    Forum Member
    Richard III would undoubtedly have remained buried under a car park until Tesco shoved a load of £££ in the direction of Leicester City Council to secure planning permission for yet another Super or convenience store
    At least it would be one Tesco store guaranteed to be horse-free! :D
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dai Clust wrote: »
    I can't believe that they were allowed to dig up a local authority/social services car park like that. Where on earth did the poor hard working staff park during their work hours (i.e. 11-12 and 2-3 (2:30 on a Friday))?

They could have allocated some spaces in another city centre car park.

It might not have been heavily used anyway.
  • CythnaCythna Posts: 3,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiggywink wrote: »
    That is a really nice way to put it. I have joined in with the micky taking here but - I admit you are absolutely right. Richard, whatever historians may say, was human and whenever you see historical human remains exhumed from some place in other docus there is a sense of respect (in fact the professor who recreated his face was on a series where they built the faces of anonymous people and it was always a hushed moment of reverence when the "person" was revealed). Philippa really saw her beloved Richard in those bones, that was for a scientist difficult to empathise with.

It is interesting that many Ricardians are women. They fall in love with the idea that a good king should be so terribly maligned and have mud splattered all over his reputation when actually he was innocent. It's the mother instinct probably but the borderline mother / lover thing is phenomenal. They love him, want to protect him, want to resurrect his good name. Cry tears over him. It has a life of its own this thing.

Although I agree with this mostly, the bit in bold reminds me of women who marry men on death row. They know he's supposed to have done bad things, but he's innocent/redeemed/misunderstood etc. Like Richard, they are completely inaccessable, and so are not going to come along and destroy any illusion built up around them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone explained why the remains were only one foot deep? Or why if so shallow they did not surface before?
  • QueeniejeanQueeniejean Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    dome wrote: »
    Wouldn't you request anonymity?

I can just imagine Philipa and her cohorts stalking you forever more!

Yes, as Richards dna can be obtained think what she would give for some sperm from a descendent of his.She could have a baby Richard all to herself.
    Is it possible to use his dna to clone a baby?
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Has anyone explained why the remains were only one foot deep? Or why if so shallow they did not surface before?

Why do you think that they were 1 foot deep?.

If you watched the programme, it was clear that the remains were found several feet below ground level.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    I know it is quite a discovery but I had feeling of so what and remember all that the fuss made over The Mary Rose.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    I know it is quite a discovery but I had feeling of so what and remember all that the fuss made over The Mary Rose.

What a huge let down that was. All that build up and they brought up a few planks of wood .
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Why do you think that they were 1 foot deep?.

If you watched the programme, it was clear that the remains were found several feet below ground level.

Yes. 4.9 feet down according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhumation_of_Richard_III_of_England#Greyfriars_Project_and_excavations
  • EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    Cyclist wrote: »

One of many real mysteries which the documentary ignored in favour of endless obviously staged emoting from the estimable Phillipa. If the body was only 5 feet or so down, with the toings and froings on the site over 500 years, it is quite incredible that only the feet apparently got disturbed/dug up over that time.

Pure conjecture on my part, but the apparent lack of disturbance of the body suggests at least in the period from the demolition of the monastery (usually the wood and stones would be recycled in other building work) to the large scale development of the neighbourhood in Victorian times, the grave was part of the garden of a substantial house - suggests to me that the grave was known to be there and left alone as such. How that knowledge got lost is a mystery for the ages, I suppose.

As to the two major developments as described in the wikipedia entry on Grey Friars, the 19th century development and particularly the 1930s building of the then County Council offices, I can only think it was dumb luck or very shallow foundations!
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of many real mysteries which the documentary ignored in favour of endless obviously staged emoting from the estimable Phillipa. If the body was only 5 feet or so down, with the toings and froings on the site over 500 years, it is quite incredible that only the feet apparently got disturbed/dug up over that time.

Pure conjecture on my part, but the apparent lack of disturbance of the body suggests at least in the period from the demolition of the monastery (usually the wood and stones would be recycled in other building work) to the large scale development of the neighbourhood in Victorian times, the grave was part of the garden of a substantial house - suggests to me that the grave was known to be there and left alone as such. How that knowledge got lost is a mystery for the ages, I suppose.

As to the two major developments as described in the wikipedia entry on Grey Friars, the 19th century development and particularly the 1930s building of the then County Council offices, I can only think it was dumb luck or very shallow foundations!

As with any Medieval church there were a large number of graves, they would have known there were graves there but avoided disturbing them unnecessarily for a range of reasons. If there was a garden the feet could have gone when something was planted, they would have just have been a few more bones of many found in the area.
  • stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    Has nobody explained how or why the letter "R" appeared on the car park Tarmac?
  • EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    As with any Medieval church there were a large number of graves, they would have known there were graves there but avoided disturbing them unnecessarily for a range of reasons. If there was a garden the feet could have gone when something was planted, they would have just have been a few more bones of many found in the area.

I'll buy that. :)

Expect that if there are more excavations on the site then a jumble of bones and perhaps even bodies that would have been buried in coffins should emerge. If there are very few bones from the site - i.e it was disturbed regularly over the centuries after the monastery was demolished, my "they knew it was there all along" conspiracy theory holds water! ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member

Probably one of the two R`s in CAR PARK :confused:
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought I'd seen somewhere it was for 'reserved'? :confused:
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    I thought I'd seen somewhere it was for 'reserved'? :confused:

Yes R for reserved - directly over where Richard was found.
  • SueGSueG Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably one of the two R`s in CAR PARK :confused:

No, it stood for 'Reserved'.
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recorded this have to watch it soon
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cythna wrote: »
    Although I agree with this mostly, the bit in bold reminds me of women who marry men on death row. They know he's supposed to have done bad things, but he's innocent/redeemed/misunderstood etc. Like Richard, they are completely inaccessable, and so are not going to come along and destroy any illusion built up around them.

Good point ..I imagine that is part of the fantasy. If he came back from the dead and said, forget it sisters, I did all of those awful things - who knows if maybe some of them would fall "out of love" with him.. I mean, confirmation of the crooked back did seem to throw Philippa.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiggywink wrote: »
    Good point ..I imagine that is part of the fantasy. If he came back from the dead and said, forget it sisters, I did all of those awful things - who knows if maybe some of them would fall "out of love" with him.. I mean, confirmation of the crooked back did seem to throw Philippa.

Perhaps you missed the show - it was proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that Richard had nothing to do with the deaths of the little Princes. As the reconstruction of his face showed, he did not have the face of a tyrant. Case closed.