David Bowie Announces New Album

Comments

• nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Today's treat is the entire album, streamed for free on iTunes.

Indeed it is, and I've just give it a listen. What a cracker of an album!

Lots of strong rock tunes, plus some playful stuff such as reprising a little bit of 'Five Years' and channelling the Shadows. Also, the last song, which is what Scott Walker would be doing, if only he had a clue.
  • Chairman___MeowChairman___Meow Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Indeed it is, and I've just give it a listen. What a cracker of an album!

Lots of strong rock tunes, plus some playful stuff such as reprising a little bit of 'Five Years' and channelling the Shadows. Also, the last song, which is what Scott Walker would be doing, if only he had a clue.

Yep - you must be so much more knowledgeable about making music than Scott Walker. Whens your record out? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the album :D
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    franster wrote: »
    I love the album :D

Ditto been listening to it on & off all day
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the only track i like so far is valentines day maybe a few more listens are in order
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see the album has already gone to No 1 in 11 of the 12 countries it's been release in
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And it's here - downloaded and playing - I've even ordered a copy on Vinyl even though I've got nothing to play it on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listening now. As I'm on the dole, I can't really buy music these days, but I've made an exception for this. :)
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a brilliant, solid album from Bowie. He's come back and shown everyone how it's done! For a while I'd heard it all except the last 3 tracks and they might actually be my favourites now. The last track, Heat, is like proper old dark, atmospheric Bowie. Though there's something for anyone into any era of his, I reckon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving the new album
  • Black VelvetBlack Velvet Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Though I was a big fan of Bowie's during the 70's my interest in him and his music started to fade out sometime during the early 80's.
    I read this article from his ex wife Angie and she does not think much of the album. Now before anybody says she is bitter she is entitled to her opinion. Bowie with me is a lot like the way I feel about Madonna these days. I was a massive fan of Bowie's in the 70's and a massive fan of Madonna in the eighties. But feel that after Mads released Vogue I think that was about 1990 I lost interest in her and her music.
    As I say after the early 80's roundabout Ashes to Ashes I stopped enjoying Bowie's music so I can understand how Angie feels as he was imo at his best in the seventies. Especially early 70's to mid 70's.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2291357/David-Bowies-diabolical-comeback-fails-impress-ex-wife-Angie.html
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Though I was a big fan of Bowie's during the 70's my interest in him and his music started to fade out sometime during the early 80's.
    I read this article from his ex wife Angie and she does not think much of the album. Now before anybody says she is bitter she is entitled to her opinion. Bowie with me is a lot like the way I feel about Madonna these days. I was a massive fan of Bowie's in the 70's and a massive fan of Madonna in the eighties. But feel that after Mads released Vogue I think that was about 1990 I lost interest in her and her music.
    As I say after the early 80's roundabout Ashes to Ashes I stopped enjoying Bowie's music so I can understand how Angie feels as he was imo at his best in the seventies. Especially early 70's to mid 70's.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2291357/David-Bowies-diabolical-comeback-fails-impress-ex-wife-Angie.html

I haven't heard David's new album, but Angela's opinion is very much at odds with almost every review of his new album by professional critics who say it's one of his best albums in years. So isn't it possible that she is bitter? In some article in a tabloid, I think she also complained he didn't give her enough money in their divorce settlement.
    A lot of the critics have said that although a lot of his more recent records haven't been that good, this one is a return to form and as good as his 70's stuff. From what I understand it has a sound similiar to his 70's stuff. So it really doesn't make much sense to say you like his 70's stuff, but don't like the new record.
    I don't really see why her opinion should be given more credence than professional music critics who are supposed to be experts in music. She was paid for her interview by a tabloid and they encourage her to be negative to be more sensational.

Personally, though if I like an artist, I tend not to lose interest in them. I will always give them a chance. I don't stop liking them just because they don't have big hits anymore.
    The great thing about the Internet though is you don't have to take anyone word for it whether a record is good or not. You can listen to most records before buying them so you can decide for yourself whether you like it or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    I haven't heard David's new album, but Angela's opinion is very much at odds with almost every review of his new album by professional critics who say it's one of his best albums in years. So isn't it possible that she is bitter? In some article in a tabloid, I think she also complained he didn't give her enough money in their divorce settlement.
    A lot of the critics have said that although a lot of his more recent records haven't been that good, this one is a return to form and as good as his 70's stuff. From what I understand it has a sound similiar to his 70's stuff. So it really doesn't make much sense to say you like his 70's stuff, but don't like the new record.
    I don't really see why her opinion should be given more credence than professional music critics who are supposed to be experts in music. She was paid for her interview by a tabloid and they encourage her to be negative to be more sensational.

Personally, though if I like an artist, I tend not to lose interest in them. I will always give them a chance. I don't stop liking them just because they don't have big hits anymore.
    The great thing about the Internet though is you don't have to take anyone word for it whether a record is good or not. You can listen to most records before buying them so you can decide for yourself whether you like it or not.

Yes, Angie has been very bitter for a very long time. They divorced in 1980, she really should move on now. The Jagger story comes out every few years, and everyone just shrugs these days.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a great album, listening to it.....again:cool:
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Angie seems to indicate in the album that she's only heard the two singles. To be fair, I can completely understand why people might find Where Are We Now boring, not so much The Stars Are Out Tonight but each to their own. The point is that I don't think either are representative of the album, having listened to it about a dozen times already. I think it's fantastic, by the way, at least half of the songs are classic Bowie.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    56,000 copies of The Next Day sold in the UK already ... SMASHING.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it is HERE!!!! ANd thank gawwwd. I LOVE it....i fel it is already one of my favourites so far...best "comeback album" since Kate Bush with Arial i feel....Bowie managed to make a really trippy album here....blurs of old skool 70s Psychy sounds with a kinda kinetic feel to it...its euphoric in its darkness...i love that...a beautiful album :) i am very very impressed! And so glad the deluxe was what iordered too :D brilliant! will listen to it more and more but im grasping the flavours...it is so layered thus far....so impressed...still baffles me why the elad single was "where are we now" so many stronger songs within :)...an album that justifies its review and its hype most definitely :)
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    still baffles me why the elad single was "where are we now" so many stronger songs within :)

Oh, but I just love "Where Are We Now", it's so poignant and haunting.

Perhaps not an obvious choice, but that's Mr Bowie for you :D It certainly hooked me and reeled me in - got my copy today as well :p
  • NScotNScot Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    The albums #1 on itunes - this is called smashing it
    #1 United States
    #1 United Kingdom
    #1 Argentina
    #1 Austria
    #1 Belarus
    #1 Belgium
    #1 Brazil
    #1 Canada
    #1 Chile
    #1 Cyprus
    #1 Czech Republic
    #1 Denmark
    #1 Estonia
    #1 France
    #1 Germany
    #1 Greece
    #1 Guatemala
    #1 Hong Kong
    #1 Hungary
    #1 India
    #1 Ireland
    #1 Israel
    #1 Italy
    #1 Japan
    #1 Latvia
    #1 Lebanon
    #1 Lithuania
    #1 Luxembourg
    #1 Mexico
    #1 Netherlands
    #1 Norway
    #1 Peru
    #1 Poland
    #1 Portugal
    #1 Russia
    #1 Slovakia
    #1 Slovenia
    #1 South Africa
    #1 Spain
    #1 Sweden
    #1 Thailand
    #1 United Arab Emirates
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like his new album :)

I've played it through quite a few times now and although it isn’t as instantly grabbing as some of his seminal stuff, it gradually grows on you and certainly doesn’t disappoint.
  • collitcollit Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first Bowie lp I bought was Let's Dance, but chronologically it's the last one I got. I just love all his earlier stuff.
    I have this one though and so far I am really enjoying it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's number one in the UK album charts. Brilliant. :)

BBC story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's number one in the UK album charts. Brilliant. :)

BBC story.

His son tweeted this

Duncan Jones (@ManMadeMoon) tweeted at 8:33pm - 17 Mar 13:

Not surprising Dad got a number one in the UK... its much harder to do a number 2 at his age. Come on... its funny! (https://twitter.com/ManMadeMoon/status/313387747425538048)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, but I just love "Where Are We Now", it's so poignant and haunting.

Perhaps not an obvious choice, but that's Mr Bowie for you :D It certainly hooked me and reeled me in - got my copy today as well :p

First Bowie song to make me cry and I've followed him since 1977.
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm loving the album too - and love the way it's smashing the album charts!