Options

What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re-reading 'Buddy - The Biography' by Philip Norman. A detailed and affectionate take on Buddy Holly,without being at all mawkish or sentimental.It reveals a lot more about the young musician than most people would have suspected.
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Louise Millar- Accidents Happen
  • Options
    Havelock VetinariHavelock Vetinari Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lars Kepler - The Nightmare. Very good so far. I've read the first one the Hypnotist and that was excellent.
  • Options
    Mumof5Mumof5 Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Perfect by Rachel Joyce. Still haven't read the Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry which she also wrote but this one was in the library so thought I'd get it while it was in!
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Henry VI Part 1 - and then probably onto at least part 2 before possibly taking a break. Will read part 3 and Richard III soon after though. Have read the 'Henriad' (i.e. Richard II, Henry IV parts 1 & 2 and Henry V) but have been meaning to read this other group of Henry plays for a long time as I really enjoy Shakespeare's history plays!
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished 'Before The Frost' by Henning Mankell.After the Wallander series (Kurt Wallander) this one is about his daughter LInda Wallander,although Kurt is in it plenty!
    Typical Mankell fare,that is,a good thriller, well plotted and with believable characters.
    Was meant to be the first of a planned series of Linda Wallander books,but he abandoned that plan after the actress who played Linda in the Swedish Wallander series,committed
    suicide.So this is a 'one off' to complement the existing Kurt Wallander series.Pity but that's how things turned out!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ruth Rendell- A Judgement in Stone
  • Options
    harry*half*pintharry*half*pint Posts: 11,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Instructions For a Heatwave - Maggie O'Farrell
  • Options
    Dutch MarleneDutch Marlene Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi First time I am posting in this forum about books and magazines.

I just finished Gossamer by Lois Lowry and now I am re reading Insurgent by Veronica Roth..

Now I am not really thrilled having to re read Insurgent but I tend to forget quite easily so I have to so I can read the last book (I hope it is the last!) and know what happened before.

Over the last 2 years I have been reading too many YA series and am getting sick of them now. (Exception was Tara Brown)

After Twilight and The Hunger Games it seems like everybody and the dog wants to get a piece and there are Dystopian based YA books everywhere. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I finished Frost at Christmas by RD Wingfield and now I am reading Dodger by Terry Pratchet.
  • Options
    Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just started Tipping Point - Malcolm Gladwell
  • Options
    Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My current Kindle read is The Hours, Michael Cunningham's homage to Virginia Woolf and her novel Mrs Dalloway. Very good so far. It's not that long ago since I saw the film and I read Mrs Dalloway last year so it's pretty familiar stuff.

My audiobook is May We Be Forgiven by A M Homes.

"Harry is a Richard Nixon scholar who leads a quiet, regular life; his brother George is a high-flying TV producer, with a murderous temper.They have been uneasy rivals since childhood.Then one day George's loses control so extravagantly that he precipitates Harry into an entirely new life."

Quite an unpleasant book really. I'm nearly half way through and events seem to be taking ever more bizarre turns. I've got this far so I'll stick with it to the bitter end I suppose.
  • Options
    kate03kate03 Posts: 4,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just finished Sharon Kay Penman's four books about Henry II's succession....

When Christ And His Saints Slept (1995)
    Time And Chance (2002)
    Devil's Brood (2008)
    Lionheart (2011)

Can't wait to read the second part of Lionheart about Richard I and his holy crusade..."A king's Ransom" when it is released. Truly enjoyed this series. :)

Now reading:
    "Innocent Traitor" by Alison Weir about Lady Jane Grey. Very sad. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark Pearson - Blood Work
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Just started Close To The Bone by Stuart Macbride. Love Logan McRae!
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    kate03 wrote: »
    I've just finished Sharon Kay Penman's four books about Henry II's succession....

When Christ And His Saints Slept (1995)
    Time And Chance (2002)
    Devil's Brood (2008)
    Lionheart (2011)

Can't wait to read the second part of Lionheart about Richard I and his holy crusade..."A king's Ransom" when it is released. Truly enjoyed this series. :)

Now reading:
    "Innocent Traitor" by Alison Weir about Lady Jane Grey. Very sad. :(

Crumbs you did have a good old reading jag with the Sharon Penman:)

I loved Alison's Weir's Innocent Traitor and also The Lady Elizabeth by her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently flitting between two books, Insatiable - Meg Cabot and A Clash of Kings - George R. R. Martin. The two books could not be further apart from each other, totally different demographic, totally different subject... just two totally different books lol. I am enjoying both of them. Feel a bit ashamed about enjoying a Meg Cabot book at 25, but I think she's a great writer and I enjoy her work.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Discovered a new crime author (new to me!) whilst browsing in Tesco yesterday, Tania Carver. The book that caught my eye was 'The Doll's House' so looked it up and it's the 5th in a series so have started at the beginning with the first in the series, 'The Surrogate' which is very good so far.
  • Options
    kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Needful Things" by Stephen King on my kindle :eek: v good so far!!:eek::D
  • Options
    Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started on Crank by Ellen Hopkins last night I'm over halfway through already.
  • Options
    ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

Rather difficult to get into this, as I was confused with the past and future and Henry and Claire's ages as it went back and forth in time, but all my confusion ended around the fifth chapter.
    Very cleverly written, there were so many lovely golden moments littered throughout the story that really stood out, Very funny, touching and ultimately heartbreaking.
    I'm probably late in reviewing this, as I haven't seen this title on this current thread, but I am so glad I persisted with it. I really envy people that are reading it for the first time.
    Excellent read.
  • Options
    DisnaeDisnae Posts: 9,479
    Forum Member
    angiebroch wrote: »
    Just started Close To The Bone by Stuart Macbride. Love Logan McRae!
    I have only just discovered this author! I like sci fi novels and came across Halfhead in the sci fi section and once I started reading just couldn't put it down! Although it is set in a futuristic Glasgow it is really a crime novel. I enjoyed it so much I decided to try his other novels and have been out and bought Cold Granite!
  • Options
    *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    Reddybook wrote: »
    The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

Rather difficult to get into this, as I was confused with the past and future and Henry and Claire's ages as it went back and forth in time, but all my confusion ended around the fifth chapter.
    Very cleverly written, there were so many lovely golden moments littered throughout the story that really stood out, Very funny, touching and ultimately heartbreaking.
    I'm probably late in reviewing this, as I haven't seen this title on this current thread, but I am so glad I persisted with it. I really envy people that are reading it for the first time.
    Excellent read.
    I loved this too but it is a real marmite book on here, lots of haters, though it hasn't been discussed for quite a while :)
  • Options
    kate03kate03 Posts: 4,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »
    Crumbs you did have a good old reading jag with the Sharon Penman:)

I loved Alison's Weir's Innocent Traitor and also The Lady Elizabeth by her.

Hi moonlily.....yes I had a bit of a marathon read of Penman's books. :D

I've just started another of Alison Weir's 'The Lady in the Tower - The Fall of Anne Boleyn'.

Have you read it?

I'm finding it a bit annoying but can understand the author's continual referencing throughout since many historians have debated the details of Anne's downfall. Will stick with it though given that it's not historical fiction like Innocent Traitor. I think I will put the Lady Elizabeth next on my list to read if I give up on the Anne Boleyn one. :o:)
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished true story by kath hardy. Secrets my mother kept.
    She was 9th child of 10 who grew up on a rough council estate.mother brought kids up with help of her mother and sister but no husband.

Won't say anymore in case I spoil story but despite being such an odd and very often absent mother, the kids were devoted to her.

It so reminds me of the family I grew up next to. 8 kids and most with different fathers. Coincidentally I saw one of the kids this weekend and she was saying how very poor they were. Their mum never went to any school visits, went to the pub nearly every night and left them alone and the bigger ones brought up the younger ones. When the old lady died they were all distraught and she was never left alone in the hospital. I wonder if they are, even as adults, desperate to be loved despite their mother not really giving them much attention.