Options

Digital Spy going to get a complete revamp according to Media Guardian

Comments

• Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faith? I strongly believe that you either don't understand people who just want to use the forums or worse don't give a stuff about them and will force your editorial output on them regardless.

Will you listen? Of course not.

Just took 15 seconds to load a page and I have a fast connection. It was like that all weekend before this when trying to discuss in real time reality shows. That is unacceptable.

A minute to load a page and I'm on BT Infinity 2 :devil:

Even the smilies look horrid now
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Graceland wrote: »
    I agree, Is this for real :eek: I thought the forum had a virus when I saw it.

Think i'll book DS into the local STD clinic tomorrow :)
  • Options
    MeoquiMeoqui Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What on earth?????????????????!

What was the design brief? "Ladies and Gentleman - We would like you to design something that has as much wasted space as possible. Is chronic on the eye and altogether diabolical to use"

I have come here daily for years........if this is sticking round I doubt I will stick around! Flaming awful
  • Options
    beatrice39beatrice39 Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks blooming awful as if those ladies from Loose woman designed it. Bloody shit. Please change it back.
  • Options
    jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a load of crap this new design is, tiny text, hard to read, dull to look at and impossible to use as it cuts the end of the text box off, not sure what's been mentioned in this thread as I cannot get to the end as the button taking you to the end is cut off, why don't they just shut the site down if the don't want to run it as anyone you took this live clearly couldn't give a crap about the website they run 😡💩
    (Hope this rant makes sense as I now only have 1 line text I can see between the massive banner and my on screen keyboard, no chance to check)
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    I trust that you are jesting.

I was, and that was before the redesign.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its really bad I find the mobile version looks better on my 24 inch screen.
    But why do you feel the need to change things for the worst.

First it was

AV Forums
    Then
    Youtube
    Now
    DS
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Suggests its more the content (news etc ) which I never ever read that is getting a revamp as opposed to the forums which may just get some new pretty colours

Ooops :blush:
  • Options
    TomM44TomM44 Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Absolutely awful. :devil::devil::devil:
  • Options
    corh5corh5 Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Like everyone else, this is just awful, enough said.
  • Options
    KDeeKDee Posts: 16,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, but I'm not liking this at all:s
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    what on earth have they done to the website??? i clicked back to google thinking I had come to the wrong place,

Dear lord it terrible !!!!!
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,852
    Forum Member
    Not good - bloody awful in fact
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    DS have left a email address asking for feed back on the new website

product@digitalspy.co.uk

email DONE
  • Options
    stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've said on another thread that it looks about 90% complete. I think it's a move in the right direction, because the modern trend in web design is very flat, muted colours. The problem is that the remaining 10% is the bit that makes the forums actually usable.

It doesn't work on an iPad at all. The top header is a few pixels too wide, so the spyglass/search icon drops down onto the next line, taking up space (and hiding the advert underneath it). The forums are entirely unusable on iPad, because the right quarter of the page is missing. Did anyone test this before going live?

As I posted earlier in the thread, I think this *is* an improvement in terms of appearance, but something has gone drastically wrong with its usability on iPad.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stu0rt wrote: »
    I think it's a move in the right direction, because the modern trend in web design
    They can stuff "the modern trend" where the sun doesn't shine. If it's crap, it's crap. Calling it "the modern trend" doesn't stop it being crap.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reminds me of what the web designers did for the majority of the football league clubs being forced to use a choice of template for their "official sites" when the FL negotiated a new deal
  • Options
    lloys-strachanlloys-strachan Posts: 1,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Giving up'on DS if it stays like this. Can't read the right hand side of the message boards on iPad because it's cut off and the colour and layout is horrible.
  • Options
    tom558tom558 Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go back to the way it was now please.
  • Options
    stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    They can stuff "the modern trend" where the sun doesn't shine. If it's crap, it's crap. Calling it "the modern trend" doesn't stop it being crap.

Each to his own, of course. I wouldn't personally look very good in skinny jeans or with tunnels in my ears, but I can appreciate the trend.

I think DS would have got a reputation for being "out of date" with a design that was 10 years old. Now, of course, their reputation is at risk for implementing a new design without fully testing it. Can they ever win?

Take a look at Apple, Google, and mobile companies. Their websites are very "modern" with the minimalism and flat design ethos. They also launch new versions almost every year. Web design is like clothing in terms of fashions changing. There's no way DS could remain credible with their previous design.

So in that sense I support the whole ethos of the redesign, but I am critical of its implementation.
  • Options
    HDCriticalFanHDCriticalFan Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS steals the cup for worst re-design in history from FlickR !

About 75% of my screen is now empty and the text is too small to easily read.

I can't use it at all on my iPad (which is where I usually browse threads whilst on my sofa). There's am annoying panel at the top that drops down to cover stuff, I can't read the right hand inch of any post and (worst of all) I can't see/reach/use the bit at the bottom right to "turn the page" !

Didn't anyone think to test this on an iPad !?!!?!?

I don't think I'll be using DS much for a while. I'll check back periodically to see if/when it is fixed

Hey, where have the "annoyed/frustrated" smilies gone ?!?
  • Options
    taskertasker Posts: 4,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The revamp's starting to get bad reviews on Media Guardian and I strongly suspect that more will follow: http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/dec/01/digital-spy-entertainment-technology-revamp

"Different people have had different points of view as to what we are," says New York-based Welsh, digital technology director for Digital Spy and owner Hearst UK

Explains it all then doesn't it "New York based" From the country that brought you Windows 8, Designed by children in a nursery school.
  • Options
    NatterleeNatterlee Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    This is vile. What is with the wasted space- the text- the main reason I come to the forums to read- is restricted to a little section down the middle. This wasn't broken so why attempt to 'fix it'. Just part of the obsession of trying ram more unwanted advertising down our throats. If ever there was a more ironic job title it was website designer- should be renamed 'website breaker'. I have switched to the mobile version as at least I don't seem to get any ads and also get the posts filling the screen.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is everyone complaining? All they did was add an "h".

Web site => Web shite

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    I quite like the forum design and the header (when the search is on the same line as other links) but its the rest of the main site I don't like.