Corrie axe Dennis Tanner

Comments

• callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nw0307 wrote: »
    I do too. I never got used to Sullivan. :D

I had high hopes of Dennis coming back and bringing some great references to Elsie, who was one of the most iconic women in the soap's history, if not THE most iconic. I'm surprised there wasn't more interaction with Gail to be honest, as it was Elsie who gave her a home and she was very close to her. It would have been great if a secret daughter suddenly appeared who was a deadringer for Elsie, just get the casting right.

I hope when Stuart Blackburn buggers off (hopefully soon) he is reinstated. Corrie haven't bothered to even go into their relationship expect Dennis following Rita around or standing at the back of the Kabin. I thought it was nice having an old couple marrying and finding companionship, but apparently that idea is too nice for Coronation Street now. It also would of been good finding out more about what happened to Dennis' family. Did Emily or Ken never ask about Linda or her children?
  • maggiekmaggiek Posts: 2,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, ok...I'm going to say it: I like Rita & I like Dennis.

The "older" characters in soaps have been anchors in keeping the kitchen sink drama element in these shows.
  • MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maggiek wrote: »
    Ok, ok...I'm going to say it: I like Rita & I like Dennis.

The "older" characters in soaps have been anchors in keeping the kitchen sink drama element in these shows.

I like them too. Not happy about Dennis being axed. >:(
  • MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it beyond the realms of possibility it was Philip's decision to leave? He may want to.

No it's that evil Stuart Blackburn. I wish someone would axe him. >:(
  • CampcrusaderCampcrusader Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only hope someone at Corrie is reading this. One of the storyline writers is on Twitter, I'm tempted to tweet him about the madness of this decision...
  • Lucylocket88Lucylocket88 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    It looks like he was axed. Digital Spy has made a poll on this site, asking if axing Dennis was the right decision.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/news/a538496/coronation-street-should-the-show-have-axed-dennis-tanner-poll.html
  • CatmittensCatmittens Posts: 1,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only hope someone at Corrie is reading this. One of the storyline writers is on Twitter, I'm tempted to tweet him about the madness of this decision...

I don't see why you shouldn't!

I still can't get over it. Such a pathetic decision. :(
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I told my OH (who doesn't watch CS) that Dennis and Brian were being axed, he said maybe they are getting rid of anyone over 30.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did you?
  • dashyork42dashyork42 Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I didn't see that coming and i'm not happy about it! I like Dennis, and was very happy to see him return to the street after all those years, and even happier when they married him off to Rita-another woman on her own on the street when he goes! For me, it's time Stuart Blackburn went-he's not the man for the job i'm afraid. :/
  • callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So fed up when a spokesman or producer always says they are 'leaving the door open' for the actor to return. Why axe them in the first place then?
  • PopsiemiaPopsiemia Posts: 5,135
    Forum Member
    He could have been so much more.
    Agree totally.......another of Rita's husband's bites the dust.
    Any news on how they will be getting rid of Dennis?
  • dashyork42dashyork42 Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Popsiemia wrote: »
    Any news on how they will be getting rid of Dennis?

Any news on WHEN they will be getting rid of Stuart Blackburn? PLEASE! >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    Did you?

I did. I tweeted ITV Corrie, storyline writer Furquan Ahktar and script writers Damon Rochefort and Jonathan Harvey. None responded!

I'd rather we kept Dennis, and AXED Blackburn... We need to see more of Dennis's back story, and allow a happy couple to be on the street.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he will go off on some sort of ridiculous tour with robin Asquith.
  • Leanne_Blake1Leanne_Blake1 Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Dennis. >:(>:(

Me too :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did. I tweeted ITV Corrie, storyline writer Furquan Ahktar and script writers Damon Rochefort and Jonathan Harvey. None responded!

I'd rather we kept Dennis, and AXED Blackburn... We need to see more of Dennis's back story, and allow a happy couple to be on the street.

How rude of them.

I agree, let's keep this near the top, and let's campaign to keep nice inoffensive Dennis.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    How rude of them.

I agree, let's keep this near the top, and let's campaign to keep nice inoffensive Dennis.

I just find it unbelievable that they are allowing an original cast member (of whom there are very few still alive!) to be disposed of, when the other survivor is indisposed... It shows Blackburn's complete lack of respect for the history of the show.
  • Cal_Scream2Cal_Scream2 Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    Just because a character is an original character doesn't mean they should be kept. Yes, they might provide some nostalgia but if he's not good, he's not good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just because a character is an original character doesn't mean they should be kept. Yes, they might provide some nostalgia but if he's not good, he's not good.

But he could be good, if they bothered writing some decent material for him. He also has family that could be explored, if the writers weren't so lazy.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Im delighted soup kitchen has been axed.
  • CatmittensCatmittens Posts: 1,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But he could be good, if they bothered writing some decent material for him. He also has family that could be explored, if the writers weren't so lazy.

You're so right, CC. He was gone for 43 years... who knows what he got up to in all that time. It was as if they had a blank sheet of paper to work with. They could have come up with some really juicy stories. He could have been so much more than what they turned him into - a sponging lollipop man held down by an unusually bitter wife. Awful writing indeed. :(
  • billiobillio Posts: 3,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can think of a dozen I'd rather see the back of than Dennis.

I like him, and the sense of Corrie history he brings.
  • David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is Stuart Blackburn getting all the blame? Dennis returned in 2011, but Blackburn only joined the show this year. The writers have had nearly three years to make good use of Dennis but instead he's been ignored. The producer doesn't make decisions on his own - the writing/storylining team have a voice too, and if they aren't interested in a character (which they clearly aren't, in Dennis's case), they'll push for them to go.
  • MarcusjllMarcusjll Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm almost certain, though, that SB has the final say in who gets axed - so that would have been his choice. If he wanted Dennis to stay, he could have let him. And yes - Dennis did come in 2011 under Phil Collinson, but since SB's taking over, his screen time has been halved - he had a lot more to do pre-2013, like marriage to Rita, homelessness, lollipop stuff… lmao. I wish he wasn't going.