Options

Critical crypto bug leaves Linux, hundreds of apps open to eavesdropping

IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Critical crypto bug leaves Linux, hundreds of apps open to eavesdropping

"The bug in the GnuTLS library makes it trivial for attackers to bypass secure sockets layer (SSL) and Transport Layer Security (TLS) protections available on websites that depend on the open source package."

So Apple users weren't that special after all :D Now something for Windows and we can all congratulate each other :p

Comments

• Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I thought Linux was supposed to be the most secure out of all the main computer operating systems? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Necessity vs. sufficiency. A good fundament is a must, but if you use it wrongly even mighty Linux can't save you.
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't pretend to understand most of that link, but seems this is a vulnerabilty that has been there since 2005 and hasn't as yet been exploited?

Anyway Linux tends to be more secure because you always have to provide the root password before any software gets installed, or any change gets made to system files.
    Plus the userbase is so small that nobody bothers writing any malware for it. :D
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    I don't pretend to understand most of that link, but seems this is a vulnerabilty that has been there since 2005 and hasn't as yet been exploited?

Anyway Linux tends to be more secure because you always have to provide the root password before any software gets installed, or any change gets made to system files.
    Plus the userbase is so small that nobody bothers writing any malware for it. :D

And it seems using a arch based distro according to the OPs link.
    offers better security than Debian.
    Good job I use arch then.
  • Options
    stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just did the update on my CentOS systems and the latest they can find (via yum) is 2.8, whereas the latest fixed version is 3.12!
  • Options
    stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Unfortunately this vulnerability has nothing to do with installing software. It would in theory allow anyone to view the plain-text version of any 'encrypted' data sent to any websites running on a vulnerable Linux system.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stu0rt wrote: »
    I just did the update on my CentOS systems and the latest they can find (via yum) is 2.8, whereas the latest fixed version is 3.12!

The latest version of what though? That's what my befuddled brain couldn't glean from the article.

I'm actually writing this from my Arch install, and it's on version 3.12.8 of the kernel, whereas all my Ubuntu/Debian based ones are on 3.11 something.
    Is that what it's talking about?
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its the version of the TLS package not the kernel version
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Linux was supposed to be the most secure out of all the main computer operating systems? :D

Just because it's the most secure, this doesn't mean that it's immune to viruses. This might be the first virus in goodness knows how long that's been written for it.

Edit: I'm sure the writers of these OSs will get straight onto this.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stu0rt wrote: »
    Unfortunately this vulnerability has nothing to do with installing software. It would in theory allow anyone to view the plain-text version of any 'encrypted' data sent to any websites running on a vulnerable Linux system.

Ah, I get it now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not clear if it was exploited or not. You do not always announce with fanfares that you were able to intercept something. It might be better to keep listening and keep quiet about it. Given it's all open source, anybody with enough of dedication and knowledge could have discovered it long time ago and used it.

Password protection/UAC has nothing to do with this, the code contains an error and may report it successfully verified a certain entity even when its certificate is invalid and the check should have failed. Depends on what follows it can have fatal consequences.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Its the version of the TLS package not the kernel version

And is the vulnerability closed by GNUTLS version 3.2.12?

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.encryption.gpg.gnutls.devel/7341
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another (perhaps easier to follow?) article on it.
    http://www.tomsguide.com/us/critical-linux-flaw-gnutls,news-18406.html

Seems Ubuntu/Mint users shouldn't have to wait too long for a patch?
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And is the vulnerability closed by GNUTLS version 3.2.12?

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.encryption.gpg.gnutls.devel/7341

looks like it

** libgnutls: Corrected certificate verification issue (GNUTLS-SA-2014-2)

** libgnutls: Corrected issue in gnutls_pcert_list_import_x509_raw
    when provided with invalid data. Reported by Dmitriy Anisimkov.
  • Options
    kjhskj75kjhskj75 Posts: 3,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worth pointing out that most software doesn't use GnuTLS for encrypted communications anyway.

Firefox and its friends use NSS and other stuff uses OpenSSL.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kjhskj75 wrote: »
    Worth pointing out that most software doesn't use GnuTLS for encrypted communications anyway.

Firefox and its friends use NSS and other stuff uses OpenSSL.

Its worth pointing out that GnuTLS is still used in software though. Even wireshark, though i'm not sure what for!