Options

UMAMI paste

Rab64Rab64 Posts: 1,296
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just bought some Sainsburys Umami paste. Advice wanted on how much to use In soups ,stews etc.
Other ways you use it

Comments

• Options
    GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Start off with the amount of toothpaste you'd put on a small toothbrush. If that's not enough for your tastebuds, try more next time. Soups & stews yes, also tomato-based pasta sauces and meaty/mushroomy stir-fries
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why?

Why not just cook with stuff with umami in? Such as mushroom which has already been mentioned any way. Very confusing.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why?

Why not just cook with stuff with umami in? Such as mushroom which has already been mentioned any way. Very confusing.

Umami paste is a concentrate and acts as a flavour enhancer, just like adding sodium chloride to food that already has naturally occurring sodium.
  • Options
    GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why?

If you have to avoid excessive salt for medical reasons, it's very handy.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used that paste and wasn't too impressed. A dash of Worcester sauce is far more powerful to my palate.
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    I have to admit that I have never heard of Umami paste before :blush: - am I missing out on something?..........is it worth trying?
  • Options
    Iggy's BoyIggy's Boy Posts: 3,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Umami paste is my favourite secret ingredient. My chilli, bolognese and shepherds pie have all benefitted from a heaped teaspoon of it added at the same time as the tomato purée. It boosts the flavour and gives them all an added level of moreish savoury deliciousness. Try it! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    Iggy's Boy wrote: »
    Umami paste is my favourite secret ingredient. My chilli, bolognese and shepherds pie have all benefitted from a heaped teaspoon of it added at the same time as the tomato purée. It boosts the flavour and gives them all an added level of moreish savoury deliciousness. Try it! :)
    I bought a tube of it from Tesco that was half price but wasn't too impressed. I'll stick to a teaspoon of Marmite in recipes, which is my secret ingredient. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bunny82 wrote: »
    I bought a tube of it from Tesco that was half price but wasn't too impressed. I'll stick to a teaspoon of Marmite in recipes, which is my secret ingredient. ;-)

Which makes sense, because as with the paste, marmite is high in glutamic acid-- the thing that gives food its umami taste.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    Which makes sense, because as with the paste, marmite is high in glutamic acid-- the thing that gives food its umami taste.
    I know, don't know why I got the umami paste, I think I was just intrigued. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bunny82 wrote: »
    I know, don't know why I got the umami paste, I think I was just intrigued. :)

You don't know until you try! I've never put marmite in or on anything, but now I'm intrigued. Might add a teaspoon to my next chile con carne.