Missing episode discovery rumours

Comments

• cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boba1973 wrote: »
    It's gotten very quiet out there, I don't like it...

Doctor Who Worldwide is down and they were the source of most of the rumours.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some interesting stuff here lately. Thanks very much for it. Interestign expecially to see that some Adventure Game has turned up! I wonder where that was, and whether it was overseas. I have one episode on VHS and would love to see more ... happy memories of childhood teatimes ... :blush:

Kaleidoscope, the TV History organisation, is always fascianting. There has been some discussion on their FB page about whether or not some 90s episodes of Roy Walker's Catchphrase (say what you see / it's good but it's not right) still exist or have been destroyed. Amazing that TV from as recent as that can have been lost. Part of the reasoning behind that discussion is to do with the regional network of ITV companies (as has been mentioned recently here).

Latest rumours, then, seem to be that Phil Morris has finished international searches and is now working with UK collectors. I wonder how long he was working overseas, and precisely which locations he searched? We all know he has been to Jos, Nigeria ... what other farflung locations has he investigated?

"Everything except Masterplan" ... a variant on an old rumour. I won't write it off yet, even though previously I would have considered it "too good to be true", as we are living in interesting times.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Everything except Masterplan" if true, would raise the interesting question of when BBC Worldwide knew. Were part-animated DVDs released with the knowledge that superior versions wouldn't be far behind?
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Everything except Masterplan" if true, would raise the interesting question of when BBC Worldwide knew. Were part-animated DVDs released with the knowledge that superior versions wouldn't be far behind?
    From what I gather if a story had been found that the animation would get canceled. I remember hearing in a podcast before christmas that Dan hall had to set up a meeting with bbcww bosses to ask whether or the rumours of it being found were true or not as Dan didn't want to spend money unnecessary. With the cost of animation still being expensive I doubt they would invest 10s of thousands on animation if they had found the eps. They couldn't excuse sush a waste of money that could be spent elsewhere.
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    From what I gather if a story had been found that the animation would get canceled. I remember hearing in a podcast before christmas that Dan hall had to set up a meeting with bbcww bosses to ask whether or the rumours of it being found were true or not as Dan didn't want to spend money unnecessary. With the cost of animation still being expensive I doubt they would invest 10s of thousands on animation if they had found the eps. They couldn't excuse sush a waste of money that could be spent elsewhere.

To the BBC 10s of thousands is probably small change. It isn't a major investment and probably didn't require that much authorisation. I have seen some companies being charged that amount extra (by mistake) per month and they didn't notice.

And it wouldn't be a waste of money if the Moonbase DVD with the animation sold well.

The biggest issue if this was true would be them selling DVDs when they know they will release another DVD in the future.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bp2 wrote: »
    To the BBC 10s of thousands is probably small change. It isn't a major investment and probably didn't require that much authorisation. I have seen some companies being charged that amount extra (by mistake) per month and they didn't notice.

And it wouldn't be a waste of money if the Moonbase DVD with the animation sold well.

The biggest issue if this was true would be them selling DVDs when they know they will release another DVD in the future.

It would be a bit more than small change to BBC Worldwide who would need to know that the cost of the animations would be recouped through sales profits. However, if they commissioned animations, then discovered the stories were found and then released the animations anyway, that would place BBC WW in the dodgy position of misselling an inferior product - and suppressing details of a superior alternative - in order to recoup animation costs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be a bit more than small change to BBC Worldwide who would need to know that the cost of the animations would be recouped through sales profits. .

I am not saying they won't do any accounting for those expenses (and why does the Moonbase have to make a profit? (I am guessing it made a profit) They could easily recover the costs with other DVD sales.) And I said they need authorisation for expenditure (but not from the very senior people ). I am saying the expense is not massive for the BBC and that it is so small (£100,000 is roughly 0.13% of BBC Worldwide's Cash and Cash Equivalents at the end of March 2013) not even the Daily Mail would report it.
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bp2 wrote: »

As they are cutting costs right left and centre and closing channels I would say 10s of thousands isn't small change. Mind of evil ep 1 stopped because they thought a colour version of ep 1 was thought to be found so I would think the same would happen if an ep did turn up
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    As they are cutting costs right left and centre and closing channels I would say 10s of thousands isn't small change. Mind of evil ep 1 stopped because they thought a colour version of ep 1 was thought to be found so I would think the same would happen if an ep did turn up

Cash strapped and poor license fee funded BBC are cutting costs and shutting down channels. Commercial BBC WW is a whole different entertity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Those costs are around tens of millions which is a thousand times larger than 10s of thousands. If they have a large number of those size of losses then yes it is significant. But I do agree that the won't use that money on something that won't recover a reasonably large proportion of its costs (unless it is used to make customers buy more profitable items or service) however small it is.
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If everything except Masterplan had been found then I would figure that they would animate the missing episodes of Masterplan in order to have all of the Doctor Who episodes available in some (non-reconstruction) format. What do you think? :)
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dan Hall (who is in charge of the dvd range) asked before Moonbase animation was commissioned and was told nothing was back, I believe.

I can't believe Worldwide would have paid for a reconstruction of Web 3 if they knew for sure, 100%, TIEA had it. It's one of the many oddities of this saga.
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,097
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    Dan Hall (who is in charge of the dvd range) asked before Moonbase animation was commissioned and was told nothing was back, I believe.

I can't believe Worldwide would have paid for a reconstruction of Web 3 if they knew for sure, 100%, TIEA had it. It's one of the many oddities of this saga.

The cost to do the telesnaps style recon wouldn't have been that much but the bigger question to me is why do it at all? Why release Web of Fear if there's a possibility that Phil had more? Just releasing Enemy of the World would have been big enough news for the 50th anniversary so why release Web too? With strong rumours that a large haul of missing episodes has been located, wouldn't it have made sense to wait a bit? That, to me, is the biggest oddity of the whole mystery. Only one answer makes sense to me - Web 3 was found but unsalvagable. If WW knew, without shadow of doubt, that Web 3 wasn't available then they would have commissioned the reconstruction.

But it's strongly believed that Nigeria was just one find and other finds were made. So the hope remains that Web 3 is in one of the other finds.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoa. Im quite happy to see web of fear on dvd with just one eposode missing. It would have been criminal to hold back the 4 found epidodes just in the unlikely case ep 3 may turn up one day
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    According to Eddie's latest blog, he's been sent a film can that he 'hasn't got round to looking at' that might be something from Troughton.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    That was ages and ages ago, we're talking new year's here. He claimed it was from Wheel In Space, but wasn't sure if the contents matched the tin.

Take it from others who have done this before, it literally takes seconds to check what you have!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Ah, OK. Thought it was recent as it's dated the 21st. I'd have it open in seconds too... ;-)
    Forum Member
    Unless he has a second can :)
  • Dr jake youngDr jake young Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice to see those stupid comments deleted!
  • GillrayGillray Posts: 354
    Forum Member

Change.org's stated mission is to "empower people everywhere to create the change they want to see." Popular topics of Change.org petitions are economic and criminal justice, human rights, education, the environment, animals, health, and sustainable food...and Doctor Who toys
    Forum Member
    Yes but you called him stupid, a breach of forum rules. There are plenty of other frivolous petitions out there, this is a forum and you should conduct yourself with politeness and respect for other users. You had a point (and a fair one too, as much as I would like a playset like this to be released!) and you had no reason to resort to name calling. You could have made your point without that nonsense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aside from the ridiculousness of the petition, the poster was blatantly attempting to promote a pitiable campaign (just ten signatures) on the back of a much more lively thread. Such hijacking is unacceptable.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some interesting stuff here lately. Thanks very much for it. Interestign expecially to see that some Adventure Game has turned up! I wonder where that was, and whether it was overseas. I have one episode on VHS and would love to see more ... happy memories of childhood teatimes ... :blush:

I'd love to see the Adventure Game again. I liked the inivisble force they had to avoid in the final game!

The contestants were all celebs weren't they?
    Forum Member
    Aside from the ridiculousness of the petition, the poster was blatantly attempting to promote a pitiable campaign (just ten signatures) on the back of a much more lively thread. Such hijacking is unacceptable.

The 'pitiable' bit isn't against forum rules. Nor is the ridiculousness. However, yes hijacking a thread is against forum rules, but name calling is also against the rules. Both sides of this argument broke the rules.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If it is about that TARDIS playset petition then I suggest you contact the company involved (and if you haven't then I don't understand why).

Posting this petition on the missing episodes thread won't help your cause.