Usage allowance - using more than it should be?

Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've only had Infinity for about a week but I have already used over 10Gb. This is about the same as I would use in an entire month on ADSL.

The website states that it should not take into account the BT TV IP channels or streaming on my box but I am beginning to wonder a bit.

Comments

• MaccaMacca Posts: 18,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you on unlimited or fixed allowance?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    where are you getting the 10GB figure from?
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    It only discounts IPTV and streaming using their box (ie Youview / BT Vision). Streaming using something else does count towards your allowance.
  • PartyanimalPartyanimal Posts: 1,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the same issue.

I signed over to BT Infinity at the end of November '13. The BT Broadband Usage Monitor reported my usage as 66GB for Dec '13 & (so far) 50GB for Jan '14. Absolutely preposterous - in a normal month I struggle to use more than 5GB! I've been hit by a £31.80 surcharge for December already.

I changed my wireless key earlier this month (just in case someone had somehow piggy-backed my b/band), but according to the BT B/band usage monitor I'm still consuming an average of 2GB per day. In fact, I seemingly consumed 8GB between 16 - 20 Jan when I was out of the country and my PC turned off!!

I've logged a call with BT and recommend anyone else with this issue do the same if they have suspicions. In my case, there is clearly a problem their end.
  • de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the same issue.

I signed over to BT Infinity at the end of November '13. The BT Broadband Usage Monitor reported my usage as 66GB for Dec '13 & (so far) 50GB for Jan '14. Absolutely preposterous - in a normal month I struggle to use more than 5GB! I've been hit by a £31.80 surcharge for December already.

I changed my wireless key earlier this month (just in case someone had somehow piggy-backed my b/band), but according to the BT B/band usage monitor I'm still consuming an average of 2GB per day. In fact, I seemingly consumed 8GB between 16 - 20 Jan when I was out of the country and my PC turned off!!

I've logged a call with BT and recommend anyone else with this issue do the same if they have suspicions. In my case, there is clearly a problem their end.

Possibly malware on your machine - many home computers get turned into "zombie" machines which perform a selection of malicious activities, eg sending out spam silently.

Run a full scan on the machine using Microsoft Security Essentials (free for Windows XP, Vista or 7).
  • ih8mondaysih8mondays Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With a £31 charge, you'd be better off getting unlimited broadband!

Hope it gets sorted!
  • PartyanimalPartyanimal Posts: 1,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah - sorry, I eventually got this sorted and should have posted back.

I was pretty much correct with the diagnosis - the problem was caused by BT Openreach. When cabling me up for Infinity, the engineer had plumbed my fibre connection in the cabinet into the wrong port. The port belonged to a neighbour**, so BT's Usage Monitor was reading my neighbour's usage instead of mine.

It was a mare to sort out. BT initially closed my call after 7 days without doing anything about it; no communication with me whatsoever. On opening another call, it then took me 5 x additional calls to 1st & 2nd line support to convince them there was a crossed line issue, and to book an Engineer visit, who only fixed the problem after I explained to him all the details (he didn't have a clue about the problem details when he arrived!).

Subsequently, I had to call BT Billing to ask for refunds of £31.80 (from December's surcharge) and a further £21.20 from a surcharge incurred in January. This was promised as a credit on February's bill, which never materialised. I then wrote a snotty email to BT Customer Services threatening all sorts of action if this wasn't corrected within the next 14 days and this finally led to a satisfactory resolution.

** I found this out when - after going round in circles with BT 2nd line support - I invited the support guy to 'remote in' to my router and read out what devices he thought were connected. After reeling off 4 x devices, none of which I owned, the penny dropped as to who owned said devices and therefore what the problem was.

So, about 6 hrs spent on the phone to the Call Centre and a heap of frustration and stress....but that's for another thread! In relaton to this thread, I just thought it might help the OP with his problem as it sounds like it could be something similar to mine.
  • Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    I'm glad I'm on unlimited. :D

Do they automatically opt you into BT Wifi on a limited package? Doesn't seem fair if they do, considering other people can use your broadband and affect your usage.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Paul237 wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm on unlimited. :D

Do they automatically opt you into BT Wifi on a limited package? Doesn't seem fair if they do, considering other people can use your broadband and affect your usage.
    No - BOTH limited and unlimited are available from BT and it is totally the customers choice! Anyone can change to unlimited st any time as well.

There are some good offers on the limited packages - e.g. £7.50/month for 6 months for 40Gb on Infinity 1 (plus Quidco plus Sainsburys voucher).

I, for one, am coping with the usage limit just for the 6 months!
    Forum Member

All I can say is that the BT usage monitor is TOTALLY ACCURATE for me! I do check it online every few days to ensure there are no problems.

Most of the usage is iPlayer or my SkyPlus box - NOT my PC. These both count - only BT YouView gets ignored.
    Forum Member
    Paul237 wrote: »
    other people can use your broadband and affect your usage.
    That is *not* counted against your allowance.
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    That is *not* counted against your allowance.
    Yes - all use of BT WiFi/FON is unmetered - but at a slower speed. On usage limited BT broadband it can be even be useful to reconnect to the routers own BT WiFI SSID if the allowance is running low!

I have 40Mb Infinity - BT WiFi seems to run at 5Mb/s maximum on the same router.
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    I'm on PlusNet unlimited and just as well as I've run up 87gb in the first week of fibre without even it being a heavy week. :eek:

:D
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    Yes - all use of BT WiFi/FON is unmetered.
    Not quite true. I am given to understand it is metered for the user of BT WiFi as a check against excessive usage. But the provider of a BT WiFi hotspot is not affected.
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Not quite true. I am given to understand it is metered for the user of BT WiFi as a check against excessive usage. But the provider of a BT WiFi hotspot is not affected.
    Yes it's metered but is claimed not to be very restrictive!! When I tried to look this up the results indicated that EACH BT WiFi user has some large number of hours nominal allowance each month (1000 perhaps - I forget) before they get restricted and that hotspots also always disconnect users after some time interval (but they can reconnect!)