Sky Broadband Unlimited no longer free with Sky Sports

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
Forum Member
We have recently had Fibre Optic broadband in our area so I started looking into prices. At the moment I'm on Sky BB Unlimited free for 12 months as I subscribe to Sky Sports. Looking into it on the website and after a brief call to Sky it seems this offer doesn't exist anynore and if I were to upgrade to fibre I would end up paying £20 per month. As I also subscribe to BT Sport it will make it cheaper for me to get my broadband from BT when the 12 months expires and get BT Sport free.

Sky are likely to loose a lot of Broadband customers to BT or am I missing something?

Comments

• fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe this why they might take over talk talk?
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    maybe this why they might take over talk talk?

If it means TalkTalk shut down their call centres on the moon it will be worth it just for that.

Just left cause of their ineptness!!!!!
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    K.J wrote: »
    We have recently had Fibre Optic broadband in our area so I started looking into prices. At the moment I'm on Sky BB Unlimited free for 12 months as I subscribe to Sky Sports. Looking into it on the website and after a brief call to Sky it seems this offer doesn't exist anynore and if I were to upgrade to fibre I would end up paying £20 per month. As I also subscribe to BT Sport it will make it cheaper for me to get my broadband from BT when the 12 months expires and get BT Sport free.

Sky are likely to loose a lot of Broadband customers to BT or am I missing something?

Whenever I look to switch to BT their prices are so expensive for unlimited compared to other providers.

Their base fibre package is capped at 40gb per month. What's the point of having superfast speed if you can only download a tiny amount?

We get through between 200-300gb per month.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Whenever I look to switch to BT their prices are so expensive for unlimited compared to other providers.

Their base fibre package is capped at 40gb per month. What's the point of having superfast speed if you can only download a tiny amount?

I thought their price for unlimited on the 36mb speed wasn't to bad, only a few quid more than the capped service, is that not right?

And then the higher speed (76mb) is a few quid again. I find it worthwhile also for the hotspots, which, as they are based on every customers home hub (if you opt in), you can generally always find a signal somewhere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »

Their price for broadband and fibre is higher than Sky, but if your going to subscribe to the BT Sports channels it's cheaper to pay the bit extra for their broadband and save the £12 per month subscription. That was the reason Sky had this offer for free broadband to Sports subscribers in the first place.
    Forum Member
    Figures off the top of my head.

Sky £16.50 line rental + £20 fibre unlimited + £12 BT Sports

BT 16.99 line rental + £26 fibre unlimited + £0 BT Sports

Those figures are after introductory offers

Standard unlimited broadband it's a similar saving.
  • PudpullerTMPudpullerTM Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BT 16.99 line rental + £26 fibre unlimited + £0 BT Sports = 42.99

Sky line rental is 15.40 NOT 16.50 plus you get free caller display so the £12 FREE bt sports turns out to be BT sports costs £2 more with SKY than BT
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought their price for unlimited on the 36mb speed wasn't to bad, only a few quid more than the capped service, is that not right?

And then the higher speed (76mb) is a few quid again. I find it worthwhile also for the hotspots, which, as they are based on every customers home hub (if you opt in), you can generally always find a signal somewhere.

YOU OPT OUT of BT wifi it is SNEAKILY turned on automatically
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    YOU OPT OUT of BT wifi it is SNEAKILY turn on automatically
    This is made perfectly clear! You opt-out and you do not get to use other BT Wifi hotspots when travelling.

The home hotspot is only for a fraction of the bandwidth, ONLY if there is some spare capacity and gives no access to the home network!
    Forum Member

BT 16.99 line rental + £26 fibre unlimited + £0 BT Sports

The figures are wrong!

Line rental. BT £15.99 vs Sky £15.40 basic - but BT have Line rental saver at £11.75 and Sky do not (not available any longer!)

BT £23 for unlimited 40Gb Infinity vs Sky £20. The £26 quoted is for 80Gb FTTC which is £30 with Sky.

Caller display is still free on BT with any 12 months contract.

Therefore BT are CHEAPER (with Line Rental Saver) - even without BT Sport!!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    This is made perfectly clear! You opt-out and you do not get to use other BT Wifi hotspots when travelling.

The home hotspot is only for a fraction of the bandwidth, ONLY if there is some spare capacity and gives no access to the home network!

it was never made PERFECTLY CLEAR to me or ant of the people I know on BT and if you want to turn it off on your router it is so hidden its ridiculous

no where on the adverts for free bt wifi (with your bt bb) does it say sharing of your connection is needed

and this ONLY if there is spare capacity the router automatically reserves its BT wifi and fon networks before setting the speed available to you.
    its only the amount of connectable users that is limited but at 54 this isnt a small limit

BT are getting 2 payments for the same connection
    Forum Member
    and this ONLY if there is spare capacity the router automatically reserves its BT wifi and fon networks before setting the speed available to you.
    This is rubbish! I can look at the connection speed on my router and see that this is not true! On my 40GB Infinity connection BT Wifi can have 5Mb/s max - but ONLY if the main link is not using it! If the router is busy BT WiFi gets almost nothing.

You CANNOT turn it off BTW. You have to ask BT to do this - which they will. You then lose ALL access to other hotspots - which seems fair to me!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is rubbish! I can look at the connection speed on my router and see that this is not true! On my 40GB Infinity connection BT Wifi can have 5Mb/s max - but ONLY if the main link is not using it! If the router is busy BT WiFi gets almost nothing.

You CANNOT turn it off BTW. You have to ask BT to do this - which they will. You then lose ALL access to other hotspots - which seems fair to me!

so you are getting 40Meg or your bt infinity line

and it seems fair that BT can sell YOUR internet connection for £30 a month and PAY you nothing for it.
    Forum Member
    and it seems fair that BT can sell YOUR internet connection for £30 a month and PAY you nothing for it.
    I pay for 40Mb/s (may have said Gb earlier!) on my BT Infinity service - and that is what I get! I ALSO get access to lots of BT WiFi/FON hotsports when out and about - I can use these for free. This is very handly when I am in the local towns.

As I said BT WiFi/FON is limited to a small fraction of my 40Mb - and only if no-one in my family is using it!

If I do not want BT WiFi access when out of my house I simply ask and BOTH my own hotsport and my access to everyone elses is disabled!

Very fair to me!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pay for 40Mb/s (may have said Gb earlier!) on my BT Infinity service - and that is what I get! I ALSO get access to lots of BT WiFi/FON hotsports when out and about - I can use these for free. This is very handly when I am in the local towns.

As I said BT WiFi/FON is limited to a small fraction of my 40Mb - and only if no-one in my family is using it!

If I do not want BT WiFi access when out of my house I simply ask and BOTH my own hotsport and my access to everyone elses is disabled!

Very fair to me!

yes you pay for 40 meg BT the system reserves its wifi requirements and the gives you the rest yes it is a fraction but the still make it sneaky the way they sell it
    Forum Member
    yes you pay for 40 meg BT the system reserves its wifi requirements and the gives you the rest yes it is a fraction but the still make it sneaky the way they sell it
    That is not true! I can see the line speed from the router AND I can measure the data speed I get! The data speed I get is totally consistent with the connection speed - with nothing pre-allocated or permanently assigned to BT WiFi!
    Forum Member
    The figures are wrong!

Line rental. BT £15.99 vs Sky £15.40 basic - but BT have Line rental saver at £11.75 and Sky do not (not available any longer!)

BT £23 for unlimited 40Gb Infinity vs Sky £20. The £26 quoted is for 80Gb FTTC which is £30 with Sky.

Caller display is still free on BT with any 12 months contract.

Therefore BT are CHEAPER (with Line Rental Saver) - even without BT Sport!!!!!

Sorry £23 is right, I did say it was off top of my head. BT is even better value then, especially if you pay line rental up front. As I said Sky will need to address this when our 12 month contracts run out.
    Forum Member
    That SHOULD have read "BT £23 for Unlimited 40Mb/s Infinity vs Sky £20. The £26 figure is for Unlimited 80Mb/s FTTC which costs £30 from Sky"
  • GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another option might be plusnet:

Unlimited upto 76Mbit/s FTTC: £19.99
    Line rental: £14.50
    Caller display: £0.99 (optional)
    BT Sport: £5.99 (£7.49 if you want HD)

That gets you BT Sport via a Sky box only- you need a viewing card in the box though you don't have to be an active Sky customer. You don't get the BT portal online streaming access.

Big bonus- you never, ever have to deal with BT!
    (Yes, ironically Plusnet are a BT company...)

edit: looks like "line rental saver" is also available- pay the years rental in advance and it drops to the equivalent of £10.99 per month.
  • simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is correct for the 40 Mbps option, BT Wifi gets a max of 5Mbps dropping to 500Kbps when the connection is in use but on the 80 Mbps package , BT Wifi appears to get 5 Mbps regardless.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Where are they selling your connection for £30 a month, and as for payment, your payment for it is the ability to use everyone elses, which seems fair to me.

If you don't want to use everybody elses, then you can ask for yours to be disabled, again, seems fair to me, don't see what your problem is.
    Forum Member
    Greebo wrote: »
    Another option might be plusnet:

Unlimited upto 76Mbit/s FTTC: £19.99
    Line rental: £14.50
    Caller display: £0.99 (optional)
    BT Sport: £5.99 (£7.49 if you want HD)

That gets you BT Sport via a Sky box only- you need a viewing card in the box though you don't have to be an active Sky customer. You don't get the BT portal online streaming access.

Big bonus- you never, ever have to deal with BT!
    (Yes, ironically Plusnet are a BT company...)

edit: looks like "line rental saver" is also available- pay the years rental in advance and it drops to the equivalent of £10.99 per month.

Thanks, that's worth looking into. :-D
    Forum Member
    Thanks, that's worth looking into. :-D
    Definitely good value! The one thing extra thing that both Sky and BT provide is access to hot sports when away from home. If this isn't useful then Plusnet are good (except for an 18 month contract vs Sky at 12)

Plusnet plus BT Sport also works out much the same as BT with "free" BT sport - so take your pick!
  • cliftonhillcliftonhill Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    I understand that Sky are considering charging for caller display £1.50 or £2 per month which may include another service such as 1571 in the package too.
    Forum Member
    I understand that Sky are considering charging for caller display £1.50 or £2 per month which may include another service such as 1571 in the package too.
    Oh dear! As people are making fewer calls the telcos are looking for any other ways to make money! First it was line rental, then connection costs per call and cutting down off-peak times.

If you are correct Sky will be soon copying BT in charging extra for Caller Display and Voicemail!

They had better be careful as Sky (unlike BT and most others) no longer offer Line Rental Saver and, with any more rises, could easily price themselves out of the market!