Options

Hollyoaks needs to be axed.

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I've been using these forums for over a decade now. The "Hollyoaks should be axed" threads have been going on for years, to no prevail.

Yes, it is a little different to the 'big three' but it's not afraid to be different. No other soap has done a male rape storyline as far as I'm aware, yet Hollyoaks have done it twice now. The current domestic abuse storyline is also fantastic, and being used in real adverts now!

I agree the gangster stuff was a bit much, but the leader is dead now so it's all coming to an end. Meanwhile we've got to see three dimensions to the likes of Grace and Trevor, why Grace is evil, and how all she ever wanted was love from her dad, Trevor got wrapped in it all, but he wants to become clean and enter into the tropical fish trade. Many other soap criminals are just evil for the sake of being evil with no explanation. Some Hollyoaks villains of the past have been evil without much background story or explanation either (ie Dr Browning).

Hollyoaks is going nowhere soon, it's been on 5 days a week at 6:30pm for 10 years now (IIRC) and showing no signs of decline.

I agree.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    HO has changed drastically in the last few months. For fans like me who had watched it since day one, it's very sad to see the state it's currently in. I personally stopped watching after Jim died as that was the last straw for me. The OTT thing it's got going on at the moment with characters being destroyed left right and centre for the sake of an OMG moment is not my thing at all.

However, if new fans like it then I see no reason why it should be axed if they can keep the ratings up. I miss the old HO though. It's a shame it has become what it is now.
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand that we all have different opinions, and I respect those who watch it but don't like the show atm or have stop watching it but to say you don't like therefore it should be axed, there are loads who like it (long terms fans like myself do and new fans).
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Just because a soap has a bad producer that doesn't mean that it should get axed lol.
  • Options
    danyelldanyell Posts: 10,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I can see them axing it soon. If channel 4 can axe Brookside they could definitely axe Hollyoaks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    If you switch to being plot rather than character driven, as HO has now, you need to also make sure you can keep up with new, exciting stories. Character based soaps can rely on character interactions and comedy filler material without a lot of plot if writers are struggling; plot based soaps can't as no one cares about or is interested in the characters if they're not doing anything crazy. Brookie failed because of this, HO must be careful to not go the same way.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Axe kirkwood not hollyoaks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    I've given up on Hollyoaks as well. There has been no improvement and the programme just gets less interesting aswell.
    People like Brendan and Warren should return but that would be unlikely.
  • Options
    Bonny1Bonny1 Posts: 8,502
    Forum Member
    I love Hollyoaks in general.... however.... the character Grace... is unbearable to watch... closely followed by Tegan...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hahahahahaha never laughed so much in my life. You clearly haven't been watching corrie or emmerdale then because they are much worse at the moment. Each soap gpes through good and bad bits- even eastenders.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Hollyoaks used to be good with who dunnits, but this latest one has left me so uninterested.

-Characters have no depth at ALL.
    - Great characters are being ruined by lazy and predictable writing
    - The gangsters stuff is embarassing and is suffocating other ok stories (JP, Maxine)
    - HO has always been sensationalized and dramatic (thats just production values) but they have taken it to a new level recently.
    - So many characters being enveloped by 'revenge' and given stupid character transplants.
    - An arrest/kidnapping/attempted murder every single episode. reduces impact of such events. the level of panto is just stupid.

even last year with Will/Sienna/the blast, things weren't too bad. but since the turn of the year it has been a laughing stock. I've been watching for 7 years but unless things improve I will be switching off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It needs a total revamp
    Get rid of Bryan Kirkwood
    Get rid of crap actors and characters (Sonny, Freddie, Grace)
    Get rid of the gangster rubbish and focus on good storylines that people actually care about
    STOP with the murder, kidnapping and stunt every five minutes
    And the storyline's needs better aftermaths. Does anyone even remember Doug? Maddie? Jim? Callum? Ash? Neil? Jono? I swear none of these characters were mentioned after a week after their deaths. Massive characters like Brendan, Silas, Steph and Max etc aren't even mentioned anymore by their loved ones.
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been using these forums for over a decade now. The "Hollyoaks should be axed" threads have been going on for years, to no prevail.

Yes, it is a little different to the 'big three' but it's not afraid to be different. No other soap has done a male rape storyline as far as I'm aware, yet Hollyoaks have done it twice now. The current domestic abuse storyline is also fantastic, and being used in real adverts now!

I agree the gangster stuff was a bit much, but the leader is dead now so it's all coming to an end. Meanwhile we've got to see three dimensions to the likes of Grace and Trevor, why Grace is evil, and how all she ever wanted was love from her dad, Trevor got wrapped in it all, but he wants to become clean and enter into the tropical fish trade. Many other soap criminals are just evil for the sake of being evil with no explanation. Some Hollyoaks villains of the past have been evil without much background story or explanation either (ie Dr Browning).

Hollyoaks is going nowhere soon, it's been on 5 days a week at 6:30pm for 10 years now (IIRC) and showing no signs of decline.

Yes. It has been on 5 days a week the following week after the Brookside Final Episode. :)
  • Options
    KillerWatchKillerWatch Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The storylines are there and they are dramatic but it is the characters and actors that let it down more than anything. Recently, it has been OTT but it is Channel 4's best rated show so I can't see it being axed soon.
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Night & Day
    Some Hollyoaks villains of the past have been evil without much background story or explanation either (ie Dr Browning).

Some people can be evil because they are messed up. Look at Harold Shipman. I watched 3 programs about him and I still do not know why he did it. Plus, some people have terrible upbringings but are model citizens
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    IWasBored wrote: »
    I liked Night & Day

Some people can be evil because they are messed up. Look at Harold Shipman. I watched 3 programs about him and I still do not know why he did it. Plus, some people have terrible upbringings but are model citizens

I suspect some people are more emotionally resilent to the effects of abuse or poor upbringing.
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The storylines are there and they are dramatic but it is the characters and actors that let it down more than anything. Recently, it has been OTT but it is Channel 4's best rated show so I can't see it being axed soon.

To be honest it's not even in Channel 4s top ten, but on the other hand, other than The Big Bang Theory, it's E4s highest rated :)

Source: http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing/weekly-top-10?_s=4
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it could be saved still, but would need a massive overhaul. Which would mean another fire or something in their eyes but they shouldn't go that way. If they just got rid of all the deadwood over the next 6 months by having them leave for various reasons and then started focusing on their stronger characters then that could work. Introduce some new families with no psychos or wannabe gangsters, start using the dog more rather than the loft. (Not seen a night out in the loft in forever and it's basically gangster HQ).

The thing is a great central family could be Tony and Diane with them lot and Ste with the Lomax's. But Sinead is close to a nervous breakdown with the preventable death of a child, Finn is an out and out Psychopath, Danny is a serial cheat and closet homosexual, mama Lomax is a bent detective. I know there's loads more that goes of with other members of the family but it just seems everyone is far too messed up and it's hard to take them as any sort of normal family.
  • Options
    bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    There's no denying that it is high-stakes, fast-paced, sensationalist melodrama. That has it's place on TV, but it isn't Hollyoaks. The show's heart has thoroughly been ripped out in a bid to keeps ratings up. The show is going to burn itself into the ground soon enough, and we are already seeing the effects on screen. Hi many more murders, kidnaps and drug plots are we going to endure before the viewers realise they've seen it all before?!
  • Options
    dubgazdubgaz Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Hollyoaks wants to be a OTT melodramatic soap that is fine but it cant try to do hard hitting storylines also because they get ruined. The JP rape storyline is an absolute joke.
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    I think it could be saved still, but would need a massive overhaul. Which would mean another fire or something in their eyes but they shouldn't go that way. If they just got rid of all the deadwood over the next 6 months by having them leave for various reasons and then started focusing on their stronger characters then that could work. Introduce some new families with no psychos or wannabe gangsters, start using the dog more rather than the loft. (Not seen a night out in the loft in forever and it's basically gangster HQ).

The thing is a great central family could be Tony and Diane with them lot and Ste with the Lomax's. But Sinead is close to a nervous breakdown with the preventable death of a child, Finn is an out and out Psychopath, Danny is a serial cheat and closet homosexual, mama Lomax is a bent detective. I know there's loads more that goes of with other members of the family but it just seems everyone is far too messed up and it's hard to take them as any sort of normal family.

Like these ideas - that would definitely start to take it back to the Oaks I used to love to bits. Tony (but minus Diane, I went right off her) and Ste are about the only decent characters left. Wasn't keen on what I saw of the Lomaxes either, but seeing as they brought in a family for Ste, they might as well finally get round to exploring his relationship with his vile Dad - at least it'd be believable. They could also do more with the Osbornes - Jack, Frankie, Darren and Esther, never understood why they didn't. The O'Connors are a train wreck though.

Problem is, HO bosses don't want to go back to that Oaks. So psychos, gangsters and explosions it is, on endless repeat, mixed in with Big Clumsy Issue Storylines. Don't have any view on axeing it though, that's up to others than me. If people like Nu!Hollyoaks, it'll stagger on for a while I guess.
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like these ideas - that would definitely start to take it back to the Oaks I used to love to bits. Tony (but minus Diane, I went right off her) and Ste are about the only decent characters left. Wasn't keen on what I saw of the Lomaxes either, but seeing as they brought in a family for Ste, they might as well finally get round to exploring his relationship with his vile Dad - at least it'd be believable. They could also do more with the Osbornes - Jack, Frankie, Darren and Esther, never understood why they didn't. The O'Connors are a train wreck though.

Problem is, HO bosses don't want to go back to that Oaks. So psychos, gangsters and explosions it is, on endless repeat, mixed in with Big Clumsy Issue Storylines. Don't have any view on axeing it though, that's up to others than me. If people like Nu!Hollyoaks, it'll stagger on for a while I guess.

Yeah it's shame Tony is tied to the O'Connor's through the twins. Diane has been pretty much ruined as a character but if her and Tony split up but remained reminds and popped to see him every now and again I could live with that. That way he wouldn't have to feel responsible for her other kids who aren't hers anyway.

It's even hard for me to take the Osbornes seriously now. The whole affair with Ziggy just killed them as a couple for me, then Jack with Sinead. Now it's just the whole are they together are they not thing going on. They never get enough screen time to develop their stories much these days. They've also turned Darren and Nancy stupid with this whole Patrick/Maxine thing as well, there's just no continuity for them to be a believe family. And that's pretty much the same with all the families at the moment on the show.
  • Options
    Emma_HenveyEmma_Henvey Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member
    I'm only watching to see the conclusion of the Maxine/Patrick storyline and the JP/Finn storyline.
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    It's even hard for me to take the Osbornes seriously now. The whole affair with Ziggy just killed them as a couple for me, then Jack with Sinead. Now it's just the whole are they together are they not thing going on. They never get enough screen time to develop their stories much these days. They've also turned Darren and Nancy stupid with this whole Patrick/Maxine thing as well, there's just no continuity for them to be a believe family. And that's pretty much the same with all the families at the moment on the show.

Know what you mean - the Ziggy/Sinead stuff sounded so gross and tacky. But I'd still reconcile Frankie and Jack because the show needs them. It's Darren and Nancy I'd split up. He didn't just shag someone else, he treated Nance like crap, killed it dead. So I'd have Jack/Frankie/Darren/Esther as a unit, and give Nancy a new life with someone decent. I dunno, Dodger or someone. :D But not much point in yearning for family dynamics - that was Original!Oaks. Different world now. I can't believe they don't have one decent family left, when they used to have the Dean/Osbornes, Original McQueens, Barnes's, Ashworths, Bradys, Costellos, Ste/Amy and kids ....