Signal coverage with my iphone4s

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
Forum Member
Hello,

I'm in my third month of contract with Three with a iphone4s and the signal coverage is driving me mental! Before I got the phone I checked on their site and it said my area was good. However it sometimes goes from very low to no service at all :/ Even when in new area. My question is it the phone or are three just not very good.... any help would be very much welcomed:cry:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am on Three and have found very few "dead" areas. I changed from O2 last year and haven't looked back (coverage-wise).
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iPhones are know for being poor at receiving signals.

For example my £50 Huawei E585 gets a great signal on 3 at my house and my friends £500 iPhone struggles to get any signal at all :D
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

For example my £50 Huawei E585 gets a great signal on 3 at my house and my friends £500 iPhone struggles to get any signal at all :D

Have to agree.

My iphone 4S on three gets a diabolical signal at home whereas my S2 has a great signal. I have had to force 3 to give me a home signal box. My sister has a BB on 3 and when she comes up here she gets a great signal as well.
  • douknowotimean?douknowotimean? Posts: 1,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried switching your iPhone on to Airplane Mode for ten seconds or even switching the phone off? Perhaps that might help.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    im on vodafone and no signal since thursday driving me round the bend and the new update hasnt helped at all restored iphone switched itoff and on still nothing :-'(
  • reclusive46reclusive46 Posts: 584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alco_vixen wrote: »
    im on vodafone and no signal since thursday driving me round the bend and the new update hasnt helped at all restored iphone switched itoff and on still nothing :-'(

Have you tried actually calling Vodafone?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Have a look at the Network faults list.

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Faults-Board/bd-p/69

Here is a guide to how to use it:

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Faults-Board/How-to-use-the-Faults-Board/td-p/589769
    Forum Member
    Have you tried actually calling Vodafone?

was going to ring vodafone but tried an o2 sim card in phone and still no signal so i think im going to have to take it to the apple shop :-(
  • ramzezramzez Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    was going to ring vodafone but tried an o2 sim card in phone and still no signal so i think im going to have to take it to the apple shop :-(

and is o2 sim definitely working? you can also try going to the settings and try searching for network manually to see what the list looks like (Settings>Carrier>Automatic off)
    Forum Member
    ramzez wrote: »
    and is o2 sim definitely working? you can also try going to the settings and try searching for network manually to see what the list looks like (Settings>Carrier>Automatic off)

it just searches and then turns automatic back on :mad:
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member

I would say the iPhone 4 & 4S is more honest with the signal 'bars' than other phones. Truth is in the Db's not bars.

I'm willing to bet the iPhone would see faster speeds and not drop a call than say the other phones mentioned here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    I'm having the exact same problem with 3 network but with the iPhone 4, there customer service is an absolute joke, phoned them numerous occasions and spoke to manager's etc get nowhere. Latest is they will phone me before May 12th , at this point I just want to end the contract but previous manager I spoke to said this would not be possible, but surely that is falsely advertising there signal, it is beyond a joke like sometimes I send a text, wonder why other person hasn't text back yet and when I go into the messages it is will sitting there with a red exlamation mark next to it and it hasn't sent because no signal, other times I literately move a centimetre and the phonecall will drop out. I don't want to take to Apple store as I don't believe the problem lies with the phone , and the fact they will change my 2 month practically brand new iPhone for a refurbished scrubby one with a limited warranty does not appeal to me at all.
    Forum Member
    I would say the iPhone 4 & 4S is more honest with the signal 'bars' than other phones. Truth is in the Db's not bars.

I'm willing to bet the iPhone would see faster speeds and not drop a call than say the other phones mentioned here.

Why would you bet that?

Anyway, my old S2 and Desire HD held calls for much longer than my 4S. Call quality on the S2 was also much better. Speed wise, my S2 was the fastest.
  • falko89falko89 Posts: 1,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried my Vodafone sim in my wifes iPhone 4, I get 1-2 bars max, in my Nokia Lumia I get full bars.
    Forum Member
    claire9971 wrote: »
    I'm having the exact same problem with 3 network but with the iPhone 4, there customer service is an absolute joke, phoned them numerous occasions and spoke to manager's etc get nowhere. Latest is they will phone me before May 12th , at this point I just want to end the contract but previous manager I spoke to said this would not be possible, but surely that is falsely advertising there signal, it is beyond a joke like sometimes I send a text, wonder why other person hasn't text back yet and when I go into the messages it is will sitting there with a red exlamation mark next to it and it hasn't sent because no signal, other times I literately move a centimetre and the phonecall will drop out. I don't want to take to Apple store as I don't believe the problem lies with the phone , and the fact they will change my 2 month practically brand new iPhone for a refurbished scrubby one with a limited warranty does not appeal to me at all.

Well believe it. I have the 4S and the signal on 3 is bollocks. When i had my Desire HD and S2 the signal was fine. Iphones have always been known to be crap with signals.

Also the swaps ive had in the Apple store (4 in total now:mad:) were new ones with the same warranty the original one came with. The warranty just transfers over.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Well believe it. I have the 4S and the signal on 3 is bollocks. When i had my Desire HD and S2 the signal was fine. Iphones have always been known to be crap with signals.

Also the swaps ive had in the Apple store (4 in total now:mad:) were new ones with the same warranty the original one came with. The warranty just transfers over.

Do they actually give you a brand new box with brand new accesories ? Or open the box in front of you ? Or give you it in a brown box ? Cause from what I have heard brown box - refurbished handset and limited 3 month's warranty.

Not entirely sure this would solve the problem anyway but guess trying wouldn't hurt may make a Apple Genius appointment for tommorow after work.
    Forum Member
    claire9971 wrote: »
    Do they actually give you a brand new box with brand new accesories ? Or open the box in front of you ? Or give you it in a brown box ? Cause from what I have heard brown box - refurbished handset and limited 3 month's warranty.

Not entirely sure this would solve the problem anyway but guess trying wouldn't hurt may make a Apple Genius appointment for tommorow after work.

They come in black boxes but, every time i have had one, all the screen protectors are still on the back and front perfectly straight and without bubbles etc which to me shows its new. They always also have the oldest software the phones had when they were manufactured.

By all means take it back and get a replacement but, I can assure you, it wont help.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know someone who got a replacment iPhone from the Apple store. It had no screen protector and the volume control rattles when you move it :eek:
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They doubled the antennas to compensate for the bad design of the 4 so surely the 4s has competitive reception now?

The diabolical design has always been part and parcel of having an iPhone.
    Funny how A T & T always got the blame.
    Forum Member
    well ive had 2 minutes of signal 3 times today sick as :-( need a day off work to go to apple shop
    Forum Member
    I know someone who got a replacment iPhone from the Apple store. It had no screen protector and the volume control rattles when you move it :eek:

Every iphone 4S i have had have done that!
    Forum Member
    well last night i got an hours worth of signal and had it for quite a lot of today had to switch of and switch back on a couple of times other times it found signal again itself ive turned off my wifi so am wondering if that has helped
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Have to agree.

My iphone 4S on three gets a diabolical signal at home whereas my S2 has a great signal. I have had to force 3 to give me a home signal box. My sister has a BB on 3 and when she comes up here she gets a great signal as well.

Did things improve when you received the home signal box? How easy was it for you to get box? I am having exactly the same problems you describe. Signal is fine when I go outside, but soon as I go indoors drops to 1 bar or no signal at all.