Options

Things your Granny used to say

lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Or still does...

I was just talking to someone about sayings their Grannies come out with.

When asked how she was my Granny, without fail, would say "Oh, I'm fine til the Doctor sees me"

Another one was "A good sneeze and I'll fall apart"

or "I want rubbing out and drawing afresh"

I think that last one was the last thing she ever said, :( ...but she did last til 93!

Let's hear yours :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My nan used to say this tea tastes like ' pish o crics' (which she claimed was Welsh for cricket's piss - even though it isn't)
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    "Heres some sweets,don't tell your mother"
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Which one are you again?"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha great thread.

My nan used to say loads, I have adopted most myself now but one which sticks is ' pennies maketh pound'

Funny because she never even spoke like that, she used to say it if I dropped a coin and to this day if I drop a coin, no matter how small amount it is, that saying rings in my ears and I have to pick it up.

Also she used to say 'if the wind changes, your face will stick like that' that was if I was pulling faces as a child.

Oh and when I used to call her nan, she used to say 'I'm not a goat!!'
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If my mom's cooking, she'd be like - "Put some more oil, let de thing taste good nah man."

Or about my brothers clothes, "DIS THING SMELLING SO FUNKY! When was the last time you had a shower?! Have you ever showered?! Do you live in a cesspit?"

My Grandmas so chillaxed. She told me I don't even need to get married if I don't want to, cause I am awesome the way I am. :cool:

She often calls me every other name but my own. I suppose it's understandable since she has twenty-five grand kids... but it's so funny.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "If you sit close to that fire your bones will soften and melt!" :eek:

"I'm just san-ferry-an" (no idea how it's spelled has I don't know where it comes from)

"He's never had a working jacket on in his life!" :D
  • Options
    Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    F***ING HELL! They've bombed Ida!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make sure you dry in between your toes or you'll get earache. You mark my words!

I have toothache in my knee.

:confused::D
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »

"I'm just san-ferry-an" (no idea how it's spelled has I don't know where it comes from)

Possibly French: 'Ça ne fait rien', or 'It's nothing/I don't care/it doesn't matter'.
  • Options
    humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't remember, I have no grandparents alive now and soon, no parents either (one went yonks ago, one is...going) anyway, because I was a menopause baby of menopause babies, if you like, everybody is gone. To give you an idea of the generational gaps in my family, I'm 34 - one Nan was born in the 1800's!
    :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »

My gran always used to say this! I always thought it was spelled san - fairy - anne though haha :D

It was many years later after and a few French lessons it twigged with me that it was probably something to do with the saying "ça ne fait rien = it`s nothing (don`t worry!)" :D

I could be wrong though lol

Edit:
    DianaFire wrote: »
    Possibly French: 'Ça ne fait rien', or 'It's nothing/I don't care/it doesn't matter'.

That's what I thought :)
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swinetown wrote: »
    Haha great thread.

My nan used to say loads, I have adopted most myself now but one which sticks is ' pennies maketh pound'

Funny because she never even spoke like that, she used to say it if I dropped a coin and to this day if I drop a coin, no matter how small amount it is, that saying rings in my ears and I have to pick it up.

Also she used to say 'if the wind changes, your face will stick like that' that was if I was pulling faces as a child.

Oh and when I used to call her nan, she used to say 'I'm not a goat!!'

:D Love this one..

Mine was originally a triplet with an additional 10 siblings who died at various stages - many quite early. Her Mam ran out of names for them all so my Gran was given the same name as one of her dead sisters... One was Margaret and my Gran was Peggy! :eek:

Everywhere we went she would give me a running commentary - "Oh..now who died near here? That would be our Jimmy... He were hit on't' back of his head wi' a cricket ball... I wouldn't mind but he weren't even playing - only walking past"
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D So it's French! Thanks, I never knew that.
  • Options
    londonitelondonite Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont eat apple seeds as theyll grow in your belly

aww i miss her now :(
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was the dog that farted. None of us believed her.:D
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you kill a bee, it will come back alive and sting you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I 'ate Pakis. Where are me ****?"

You know Catherine Tate's Cockney gran? That was a toned down version of my grandma. She also hated Micks and queers, but not blacks or Jews. She was very selective in her prejudices.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Don't swallow that chewing gum, it'll stick your insides up!"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I just remembered another one, if there was a woman on TV and she thought she was tarty, then my nan used to say, 'she's got legs right up to her backside':confused:
  • Options
    johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    "What the hell are you doing in the coal bin?"
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember my Nan once saying 'we had those Jehovah Bystanders at the door the other day'
  • Options
    Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Mancunian nan used to say "I tell you, you're not safe in your own back yard these days" at least once a day in general conversation :)

If you were ill, instead of medications, she used to say "All you need is putting in a bag and shaking up"..which I never really understood!
  • Options
    merlinsmummerlinsmum Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Old age never comes alone." I was mistified as a youngster but understand completely what she meant now.

"Were you born in a barn." To anyone who didn't shut a door behind them, she hated draughts.

"You look like you've been dragged through a hedge backwards." Her usual response to my teenage long hairstyle.:rolleyes:

"Say thank-you." Arggghhhh, this drove me nuts as I was usually about to do just that anyway.

"A kid is a baby goat, little humans are children."

"Oh look at that dialect house." I corrected her everytime but she never changed it.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a one off, but she was looking for her slippers that she misplaced one time, and meant to ask "Has anyone seen my slippers knocking about?" but instead accidentally came out with the wonderful "Has anyone seen my knockers slipping about?" :D

She was mortified - the rest of us were in hysterics! :D
  • Options
    birdonawirebirdonawire Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Grandad, on a Sunday evening would bring us Cockles for our tea.....my Gran would ALWAYS say...not too much Vinegar, "it dries up your blood" !