Options

NHS bankrupt;start paying too see GP's?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
Forum Member
✭✭✭
NHS will face £30bn funding gap by 2020, official warns
Randeep Ramesh, social affairs editor
The Guardian, Friday 5 July 2013 18.23 BST

The long-term crisis in NHS finances will be laid bare next week when the health service reveals it is facing a £30bn hole in its budget – as a prominent Lib Dem peer suggests charging people to see their GPs.

Tim Kelsey, NHS England's information director and a former Cabinet Office adviser on data, said the health service faced a £30bn funding gap by 2020. In an interview with Health Service Journal he said: "We are about to run out of cash in a very serious fashion."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/jul/05/nhs-face-funding-gap-2020

Who would have thought that the Communist Health Service is going bankrupt?:rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member

The long-term crisis in NHS finances will be laid bare next week when the health service reveals it is facing a £30bn hole in its budget – as a prominent Lib Dem peer suggests charging people to see their GPs.

Tim Kelsey, NHS England's information director and a former Cabinet Office adviser on data, said the health service faced a £30bn funding gap by 2020. In an interview with Health Service Journal he said: "We are about to run out of cash in a very serious fashion."

Who would have thought that the Communist Health Service is going bankrupt?:rolleyes:
    Why do you call it the communist health service?
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you call it the communist health service?

It's the line used by Koch Brothers funded organisations and their online campaigners.

A bit like how they try and use liberal as an insult. They don't realise that it looks a bit stupid when they try and use it in the UK.
  • Options
    clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Seems an odd place to start saving money. Instead of charging for the basic NHS service why not charge for non-essential things like IVF.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clinch wrote: »
    Seems an odd place to start saving money. Instead of charging for the basic NHS service why not charge for non-essential things like IVF.

Determining what is and what is not essential is a very slippery slope. A lot of things the NHS do aren't critically essential, but they improve the quality of life and in my book that's just as important as saving it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Determining what is and what is not essential is a very slippery slope. A lot of things the NHS do aren't critically essential, but they improve the quality of life and in my book that's just as important as saving it.

Well the guy is talking about introducing charges for part of the NHS. If it's a choice about what to charge for, I reckon we should not be looking at the basic frontline service through which we discover whether what we have is terminal. If we are going to charge for something, it would be better to charge for things that we know are not terminal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have thought charging for a GP appointment was counter productive since if people delay seeing their GP, then medical problems will not be found and treated as early and end up costing more to treat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have thought charging for a GP appointment was counter productive since if people delay seeing their GP, then medical problems will not be found and treated as early and end up costing more to treat.

Absolutely the worst thing to start charging for. And in any case, I suspect it would lead to more people just heading straight to hospital A&E - a trend already under way because they find it almost impossible to get an appointment with the GP.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member

On the other hand, people may start taking better care of their own health. If we are honest, quite a lot of people make themselves ill.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    On the other hand, people may start taking better care of their own health. If we are honest, quite a lot of people make themselves ill.
    Works so well in the US
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't smoke or drink and I am a healthy weight and eat a healthy diet.

When I went to the GP as one of the worried well, just to be safe because around my age my father and most of my uncles on his side of the family had heart attacks. The GP found my heart was fine but blood tests follwed by hospital scan and invasive diagnostic procedure led to the discovery I had several symptomless illnesses and was at high risk of becoming seriously ill.

I have ended up various medications for life, have a restricted diet and have to have yearly blood tests to monitor some medical conditions and hospital diagnostic procedures to spot forms of cancer I am at high risk of developing at an early stage.

Touch wood I will live longer and stay healthier than I would otherwise have done had I not gone to see the GP, and I would not have bothered going to see the GP if doing so cost money. As prior to that I had last gone to see a GP decades ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Works so well in the US

The US where health insurance is collected mainly at source just like the income tax and NI here that pays for the NHS...
    I don't smoke or drink and I am a healthy weight and eat a healthy diet.

When I went to the GP as one of the worried well, just to be safe because around my age my father and most of my uncles on his side of the family had heart attacks. The GP found my heart was fine but blood tests follwed by hospital scan and invasive diagnostic procedure led to the discovery I had several symptomless illnesses and was at high risk of becoming seriously ill.

I have ended up various medications for life, have a restricted diet and have to have yearly blood tests to monitor some medical conditions and hospital diagnostic procedures to spot forms of cancer I am at high risk of developing at an early stage.

Touch wood I will live longer and stay healthier than I would otherwise have done had I not gone to see the GP, and I would not have bothered going to see the GP if doing so cost money. As prior to that I had last gone to see a GP decades ago.

That is surprising. I have seen my GP three times in the last 20 years, and on two of those occasions it turned out to be nothing. I would still pay for an appointment though because that's how much I value my health.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is surprising. I have seen my GP three times in the last 20 years, and on two of those occasions it turned out to be nothing. I would still pay for an appointment though because that's how much I value my health.
    Why would I worry about my health if I have no obvious symptoms of ill health?
    I only went to see the GP because of a family history of heart attacks around my age, so I thought it would be prudent to have my blood pressure and heart checked out. Since I had not seen a GP in decades they did blood tests as some kind of health MOT and to give them a baseline should I ever get ill. That revealed my blood pressure and heart were fine but that I had other health problems.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any nation that provides the health care off it's citizens according not to need but greed but is failing those people IMO.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

You have an overt and hostile agenda. You and your harsh views will also never prevail because this is only a discussion forum and not the Cabinet Office. :p

Furthermore, it would be electoral suicide for any party to either propose or bring in NHS charges so it's just not going to happen - double :p:p
  • Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The US where health insurance is collected mainly at source just like the income tax and NI here that pays for the NHS...

And costs up to ten times as much. Add to that, insurance doesn't cover visits to MDs. As well as insurance companies refusing to cover chronic illnesses. So yes, that US where they have that health insurance.

Nice that you can actually afford to.
  • Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have an overt and hostile agenda. You and your harsh views will also never prevail because this is only a discussion forum and not the Cabinet Office. :p

Furthermore, it would be electoral suicide for any party to either propose or bring in NHS charges so it's just not going to happen - double :p:p

You mean like when Thatcher introduced charges for dentistry and ophthalmology?
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    You mean like when Thatcher introduced charges for dentistry and ophthalmology?

What was acceptable then is less likely to be acceptable now and no serious politician will be proposing charges to gain access to GPs.
  • Options
    ExiledchillerExiledchiller Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if there's a shortfall spend more money it really is simple

we should have a health service and all this nhs bashing under the tories is typical scare tactics to try and privatise the nhs
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How does the NHS, funded by a country in control of it's own currency, go bankrupt cloudy? It can't, you just use it for effect, as you do the communist tag for anything you disagree with.

Charging for any treatment in the NHS goes against everything the NHS stands for. It irks the right wing so badly that they can't get their private sector chums in there suckling at the states teat. Given the sort of behaviour they have displayed where they have managed to get their feet under the table, I can only hope they never get any further than they already have. In fact i would like to reverse what has already been done in the way of privatising and contracting out.

If you, or any of the other usual suspects want private healthcare, there is nothing stopping you from receiving it. Just don't expect the rest of the public to pay for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WindWalker wrote: »
    How does the NHS, funded by a country in control of it's own currency, go bankrupt cloudy? It can't, you just use it for effect, as you do the communist tag for anything you disagree with.

Charging for any treatment in the NHS goes against everything the NHS stands for. It irks the right wing so badly that they can't get their private chums in there suckling at the states teat. Given the sort of behaviour they have displayed where they have managed to get their feet under the table, I can only hope they never get any further than they already have. In fact i would like to reverse what has already been done in the way of privatising and contracting out.

If you, or any of the other usual suspects want private healthcare, there is nothing stopping you from receiving it. Just don't expect the rest of the public to pay for it.

Go ahead, print and borrow as much as you want to finance the bottomless pit. Maybe we can end up like Zimbabwe one day. Those guys, they really have the magic money tree, don't they?

http://the-great-recession.info/zimnote.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go ahead, print and borrow as much as you want to finance the bottomless pit. Maybe we can end up like Zimbabwe one day. Those guys, they really have the magic money tree, don't they?

Like America is doing you mean? $85 billion per month for how long now? That's on top of QE1 and 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    Any nation that provides the health care off it's citizens according not to need but greed but is failing those people IMO.

It's not about greed. If you cannot afford a Ferrari but only a Toyota, then that's what you get. No amount of pleading or cajoling will magically manifest what you want in front of you.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Nice that you can actually afford to.

I can afford it because I look after myself and consequently don't need to see my GP very often.
    WindWalker wrote: »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/apr/15/mid-staffs-nhs-trust-bankrupt
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can afford it because I look after myself and consequently don't need to see my GP very often.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/apr/15/mid-staffs-nhs-trust-bankrupt

That's a trust, surprise surprise. PFI, trusts, executive pay for a few and a big debt for us. The NHS will still exist, the trusts fail because the private sector are draining them of cash.
  • Options
    ExiledchillerExiledchiller Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

it costs less our bealth service than having private leech sucking second rate private services that give profits to shareholders who dont care about peoples heath

since the nhs is cheaper per heAd you can only want it gone so people get worse treatment but pay more

weired