Poll for how many people on Benefits

burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
Forum Member
✭✭
Following the thread asking how many people on benefits on DS, let's see what the facts say.

How many people on Benefits 159 votes

In Employment
63% 101 votes
On Benefits
23% 37 votes
Retired
8% 14 votes
Student
4% 7 votes

Comments

• franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for what purpose?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    Might be worth asking the mods to set up a poll.

Not a new question - but circumstances change.

How dumb do I feel now ? :o
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Option for people who get benefits via working tax credits not there. I fall into this category.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Friends with benefits isn't on there either.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DinkyDoo wrote: »
    Option for people who get benefits via working tax credits not there. I fall into this category.

You are on benefits then.
  • ToriamathToriamath Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Student
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    The poll is flawed, retired people an the state pension, a benefit, and many working people claim benefits, all people with children get child benefit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    Following the thread asking how many people on benefits on DS, let's see what the facts say.

Good idea. DS polls always accurately reflect the population at large.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    The poll is flawed, retired people an the state pension, a benefit, and many working people claim benefits, all people with children get child benefit.
    The thing is, if people are made aware of the uncomfortable fact that the majority of benefit claimants are made up of retired and working people, then that'll blow apart the propaganda and rhetoric spewed from the Government and the media to justify the ideological attacks against the poor, disabled and most vulnerable.
    Forum Member
    Ex-pat claiming benefits isn't on there either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have never claimed state benefits in my life apart from child benefit. Neither has anyone in my family.

For the purposes of this poll, "benefits" mean unemployment or sickness benefit.
    Forum Member
    What about job seekers allowance? It's not got the word 'benefit' in it's title, so technically doesn't count.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member

There are quite a few of us who are "retired" because we cannot work and are not eligible for benefits.

I am old enough to be a pensioner - but the pension age keeps being pushed back.

In the current climate - rejoice in not needing any help - those of us who have worked all our lives, and paid inhuman amounts of National Insurance find that we have nothing to live on - and the age when we could claim even the most basic help - keeps moving backwards.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unemployed and not on benefits is possible isn't it, if you have too much in savings? What do those people vote for?
  • CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about job seekers allowance? It's not got the word 'benefit' in it's title, so technically doesn't count.
    It's considered a benefit as tax working credits for parents, pensions etc ;)
  • CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    Unemployed and not on benefits is possible isn't it, if you have too much in savings? What do those people vote for?
    Only if you have more than £16,000 in the bank/savings
  • Neil5234Neil5234 Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a barman on a zero hour contract and found after 6 months that I was only £25 a wheel better off than if I was on the dole, so I am on the dole and love it to be honest, go to the gym at a reduced rate 5 days a week and do a bit if unpaid work for my neighbour who is a builder.
  • shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil5234 wrote: »
    I was a barman on a zero hour contract and found after 6 months that I was only £25 a wheel better off than if I was on the dole, so I am on the dole and love it to be honest, go to the gym at a reduced rate 5 days a week and do a bit if unpaid work for my neighbour who is a builder.

You just said the other day you are a refrigeration engineer and you travelled the world.:confused:

Then two weeks before that you were a barman.:confused:

Then two months before that you were a tree surgeon.:confused:

Do you keep forgetting?:confused:
  • Choc13257weqChoc13257weq Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    I'm in employment and on benefits.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »

Yeah, I did it when I was made redundant- lived on my savings and didn't claim until they ran out.
  • Neil5234Neil5234 Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhhhh wrote: »
    You just said the other day you are a refrigeration engineer and you travelled the world.:confused:

I have short term memory loss......I think I am at work this afternoon at the pub.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shhhhh wrote: »

Its a firefighter on its profile.
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    burton07 wrote: »
    You are on benefits then.

But also working.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redhatmatt wrote: »
    But also working.

Tick both then.
  • shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Its a firefighter on its profile.

Yes, a firefighter is another one of their jobs.